Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero bikes and practicality
Quote | Reply
For quite some time, the P3C was the gold standard in terms of aerodynamics (or close enough). It's one of the few companies willing to put wind tunnel data (although, they're still not willing to put the weights of these bikes online ;-)).

Several companies have come up with ideas to improve on the aerodynamics of the P3C: hiding the rear brake, hiding the front brake, integrated fork/bars etc., shifting the air to the non drive side, and even cervelo has tried to improve on its P3C.

Yet, it seems that all these come at a cost. Maybe it's just me, but I find the hidden brakes a pain in the butt (hit something, your wheel isn't really true anymore and you can't adjust the brakes easily while riding), the cable routing is often a major pain in the butt, etc. The P4C may be a bit more aero, but the bottle thing is not very convenient imo.
And actually, you don't see much wind tunnel data to compare with the P3C...

So, what are the real options of a bike more aero, or as aero, but lighter than a P3C, without needing a top bike mechanic to figure things out?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bikes and practicality [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a guy your size...zero difference :-) Sorry but with Paulo gone somebody has to step in.

Actually I am with you on this topic though. Many of us waste more time in transition than we save with these uber bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bikes and practicality [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have seen that one coming ;-)

It's a genuine question by the way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my regrets is spending so much on my bike. I wanted the bling. Now I wish I has just bought a P2SL, ultegra, moderate wheels and disc cover. I am convinced it would not be much slower, it would be more durable. and I would have enough $$$ left over for either a new road bike, or a vacation for the wife.

t

My Blog:
http://www.staggerforwardrejoicing.com
Ultrarunning & Parenting: There is no finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bikes and practicality [prajna101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One of my regrets is spending so much on my bike. I wanted the bling. Now I wish I has just bought a P2SL, ultegra, moderate wheels and disc cover. I am convinced it would not be much slower, it would be more durable. and I would have enough $$$ left over for either a new road bike, or a vacation for the wife.

t
Wow, an island of sensibility in this ocean of otherwise.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P3C is still a really good choice for the money. This may change as new products come on to the market, but at least for now it is still a very safe bet. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bikes and practicality [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The P3C is still a really good choice for the money. This may change as new products come on to the market, but at least for now it is still a very safe bet. Tim

...which makes the P2C a downright STEAL.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree, I have a transition and I am pretty sure that you had one too.

The brakes are a pain in the ass. My next bike is going to have standard brakes, most likely in the normal place, I am thinking the P3 is next.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 immediately come to mind: TTX and the Transition.

Neither of those bikes require rocket surgery to set up or maintain.

As far as the new crop of super bikes, you're right-you're probably trading convenience for a small degree of performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you were to take some time and really think out a P3C that you could get is almost as aero as say a P4

Aero bottle run as close to the BB as possible.
Front brake modification like Tom A has shown
Nokon cables to run the cables as clean as possible and allows you tighter bends were needed.
Rear brake could be done more aero if you needed it to be using the Oval brake system like on the front.
Full carbon rings made to fit the cranks exactly
aerobars that are thought out a bit before just slapping anything on there.
Bottle mounted on the aerobars.

I just think that spending all this money on say a new P4 or the other superbikes that have come out is crazy when you could do a lot with a standard P3C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero bikes are definitely beautiful to look at and do cut through the wind like a hot knife through butter. They'd probably do some really fantastic times if it wasn't for the lump of meat they dragged around on the saddle.
As humans we're far from being aerodynamic, contrary to what ever the latest marketing spin may be. Wheels, bottles, brakes and helmets are all negated if the rider gets out of the aero position too many times.

I have a old saber that works well for me but I still can't stay aero for a full 112 miles. So I'll stick to my standard bottles, helmet and wheels until I can. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bikes and practicality [highside915] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all of that aero stuff remains more aero even if you ren't in an aero position.

its saving you the same total amount of drag, whether you are in the aero position or not.

the % of drag saved, does go down though.

In Reply To:
Aero bikes are definitely beautiful to look at
and do cut through the wind like a hot knife through butter. They'd probably do some really fantastic times if it wasn't for the lump of meat they dragged around on the saddle.
As humans we're far from being aerodynamic, contrary to what ever the latest marketing spin may be. Wheels, bottles, brakes and helmets are all negated if the rider gets out of the aero position too many times.

I have a old saber that works well for me but I still can't stay aero for a full 112 miles. So I'll stick to my standard bottles, helmet and wheels until I can. ;)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bikes and practicality [prajna101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One of my regrets is spending so much on my bike. I wanted the bling. Now I wish I has just bought a P2SL[/quote]a well-fitting aluminum P2/3 SL with race wheels is probably 97% of the performance of any carbon bike out there at a fraction of the cost (ie the pinarello montello...$16,000?! are you serious?)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 re: the new crop of bikes, with the caveat that this is second hand: It sounds like the new Trek is actually really well thought-out, more so than the Specialized or certainly the Giant (world's worst cable routing?) http://www.cyclingnews.com/...l-introduction/79221

Sounds like the Trek has some really cool features, such as easily accessable cables and brakes (just remove a cover and flip a lever and the front brake apparently slides out for maintenance.) I heard that it's also going to have a small compartment INSIDE the frame that can store a tube and CO2, which is pretty nice. Anyway, seems like a really well-engineered bike, and I say that as someone who is not at all a fan of Trek in general.

Having said all that, I would bet that as far as ROI, 99.9% of us would be faster buying a P2SL (or P3C; never thought that would be a "budget option"!) and spending the rest on coaching.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bikes and practicality [Drew_O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
re: the new crop of bikes, with the caveat that this is second hand: It sounds like the new Trek is actually really well thought-out, more so than the Specialized or certainly the Giant (world's worst cable routing?) http://www.cyclingnews.com/...l-introduction/79221

That realy doesn't look that bad... different yes but difficult to work on not so much. If you have a bike stand that doesn't look hard at all.

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply