Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero benefit of socks when cycling
Quote | Reply
How much difference do socks actually make to aerodynamics when cycling?

Cyclists seem to always have their socks as long as they legally can, yet Triathletes usually go without. If it made any difference what so ever, surely the benefits would outweigh the the short time it takes to put them on, especially at IM distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero benefit of socks when cycling [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They can make a difference a significant difference and I've also tested people where bare legs were faster than any aero sock we put on them.

Unless your certain you don't know

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero benefit of socks when cycling [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems strange then that pro's are doing so much work to get the right clothing, change their CDA etc, but none are wearing socks, if it can make a noticeable difference!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enough for the UCI to care to stick their nose into it. That's how much it matters. Lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Aero Calf sleeves. They're on under my wetsuit. I don't like putting socks on wet feet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on the rider and the socks if you have hairy legs socks will be faster if you have smooth legs and put on some baggy socks they are going to be slower. The latest thinking is to use a fabric that will trip the air flowing over the legs to reduce drag. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...rs/nopinz-trip-sockz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
It seems strange then that pro's are doing so much work to get the right clothing, change their CDA etc, but none are wearing socks, if it can make a noticeable difference!

it can make a positive or negative difference.
For me I've yet to test a sock that's faster than no sock. We've seen that on pro triathletes down to slow triathletes. We've also seen the opposite where just about any sock seems to help.

The main take home from all the testing I've done is socks are individual and may or may not make you faster.

fwiw I also lump calf sleeves in here as putting on socks could cost you :40 of that :30 gain you would have made. Calf sleeves might be a better option...or they might not

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 26, 20 12:15
Quote Reply