Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Penalty for Wider Extensions
Quote | Reply
I see a lot of the newer aerobar systems have very wide aerobars like the 3t vola for example. My old, old profile designs while not very light or aero looking could be set up with the armrest pads wide, but the extensions very narrow. Is there an aero penalty for wider bars and hands up front or is all of that still directing the wind around the body to an extent?
Last edited by: H2Owings: May 4, 18 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Penalty for Wider Extensions [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a whole can of worms is what you're opening. Nobody can give you a clear answer.

You could guess that in low yaw scenario's that wider arms is at least OK as Team GB track team seems to find good results with pretty wide positions. How that applies to you though... guessing.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you asking about the width of the basebar, the width of the arm rests, or the width of the extensions?

I never really thought about anything other than arm rest width. I have the Tririg Alpha X. The base bar is 400mm wide compared to 380mm of the Vola. My arm rests can range from 221mm wide to 314mm wide. The Vola goes 220mm - 340mm. My extensions are about 100mm apart, and I think I could make them about 160mm if I could flip the clamps. I am not sure what other bars offer for extension width, as it not a spec I recall seeing.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Penalty for Wider Extensions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Width of the extensions and in turn hands out front. Does it matter how wide your hands are...is it faster if they are right next to each other or is it about the same if there is a 2 inch gap between your hands.
Last edited by: H2Owings: May 4, 18 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never thought about extension width. I wonder if there is a generally accepted standard or small range? I do have mine turned in a little, but not much. That is just for comfort to match my natural resting position of my hands. Though, I think it looks cooler too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For example the 3t revo Ltd vs the 3t revo team on the 3t website. The revo team extensions appear to be 2 inches closer together than the revo ltd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect they are both the same. Both allow you to flip the clamps and mount the extensions inside or outside the spacers. One is pictured inside, and one is pictured outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edited to say I see what you are saying now. Given the exact same bar is there an aero penalty for having the extensions wider or is the air still being pushed around the body and not really impacted?
Last edited by: H2Owings: May 4, 18 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H2Owings wrote:
I see a lot of the newer aerobar systems have very wide aerobars like the 3t vola for example. My old, old profile designs while not very light or aero looking could be set up with the armrest pads wide, but the extensions very narrow. Is there an aero penalty for wider bars and hands up front or is all of that still directing the wind around the body to an extent?

Generally wide-ish elbows and narrow hands is a good thing as it allows you ton internally rotate your arms which makes it easier to narrow your shoulders.
Quote Reply