Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Helmet Weight List
Quote | Reply
Counting on the combined ST wisdom here please =)

I have noticed that official manufacturers numbers on helmet weight are often very very far from reality. 50 grams difference between manufacturers numbers and weight scale seems to appear quite often. And most manufacturers don't even mention any numbers for different sizes, they give the weight for size M or S and if you are looking for a size L helmet, you have to start guessing.

Maybe if everyone spends 2 minutes and puts their helmets on a kitchen weight scale, within a few days we could have real life data on most helmets (models and sizes) out there?

Let me start with what I got:

Giro Aerohead L with Visor:506 grams
Giro Aerohead L without Visor: 431 grams

Scott Cadence L:347 grams
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet Weight List [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you know my kitchen scales or your scales are accurate? To within 50g? And if they are accurate, does a 50g weight difference affect anything?

I have weighed on my 20yo kitchen scales if it's any help:

GAII small 330-340g
Bell road med 270g
Bell Star no visor small 270g
Bell Star with visor small 295-300g
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good idea. I'll bring my LG P-06 (large w/ visor) into work and stick it on the postage scale.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using a Park DS-2 scale, my Arrowhead large is 514 with visor. Specialized TT2 large is 422. 92 grams difference. Using the old "a pound is worth 4 seconds in 40k at a 40k/hr pace", the increased weight costs me about 0.8 seconds. As long as the Arrowhead is faster than that (and I suspect it is), I'm happy with the purchase decision. And I get MIPS... But I rarely race my bike for more than an hour and I can suffer a bit. I can see needing to adjust to the extra weight if you're racing half or fulls.

My suspicion is that the variance is size based. Most companies probably publish weights for size small. I like it when they publish weights by size, but as long as customers make the purchase decision on weight, there's not much incentive to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
specialized EVADE size M 271 gr. (CE version)
specialized EVADE II size M 252 gr. (CE version)
specialized EVADE II size M. 287 gr. (US version)

please note that SNELL (US) certified helmets are always a little heavier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i can add now:

Smith Podium Size L 424 gr
MET Drone Wide Body Size L 471 gr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smith Podium TT Medium with Visor 411g
Quote Reply