Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Helmet - Keep or Toss
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone, got myself the MET Codatronca for Black Friday and was wondering if I should keep it or not.

I know that Aero helmet best fit depending on shoulder and head position, so I would love to have your opinion and learn from the collective Slowtwich experience..

Keep or Toss?

PS: I also take some critique on the position as well :-)

Here are the videos:

[url=https://imgur.com/Ty4J9Dz][/url]

[url=https://imgur.com/nv9ZB6k][/url]
Last edited by: fxcasa: Dec 8, 20 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet - Keep or Toss [fxcasa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice is to only buy when you are sure its what you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's impossible to know for sure without testing but I think it looks pretty good with your position. Is it comfortable? Vision is good?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet - Keep or Toss [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
It's impossible to know for sure without testing but I think it looks pretty good with your position. Is it comfortable? Vision is good?

+1

Passes the "eyeball windtunnel." It's probably not a bad choice, but only some testing would let you know how it stacks up.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Never trust the "aero eyeball"

To be sure, go out and test.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet - Keep or Toss [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Never trust the "aero eyeball"

To be sure, go out and test.

*with the caveat that if you are not very good at field testing you could get results that point you to the wrong conclusion. Getting good results is not super easy...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So look like I will keep it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Probably have to keep it for now.

You need at least two lids in your hands at one time to go out and test, so there's that. It costs a bit up front but once you sell the one that isn't your top pick, you get a bit of the money back.

I usually always also toss in my road bike helmet into the test at the same time to act as a "control" of what I know I'm looking at. Same as if I was testing different skinsuits (like I will be soon) then I would do a run with just basic road bike kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you see where you're going, or is this position only realistic on the trainer?
The position looks pretty good to me from a likely drag perspective (although as others have pointed out you'd need testing to be sure), but it doesn't look like you could ride in that position without continuously sticking your head up to see where you're going. Were you looking forward or looking at the floor and just trying for the lowest aerodynamic drag position possible? A position is no good if you can't use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet - Keep or Toss [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Can you see where you're going, or is this position only realistic on the trainer?
The position looks pretty good to me from a likely drag perspective (although as others have pointed out you'd need testing to be sure), but it doesn't look like you could ride in that position without continuously sticking your head up to see where you're going. Were you looking forward or looking at the floor and just trying for the lowest aerodynamic drag position possible? A position is no good if you can't use it.

Yeah, I'd agree here, looking at the pics, the OP can't possibly see much more than a few feet ahead and in the frontal video, he's looking almost straight down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am struggling the proportionality of what I am seeing. It looks to me that either you are very tall with equally large feet or you are running unusually small cranks with your cleats mounted pretty far back on the shoe. My first instinct would be to push your butt back and down while leaving the front end in the same place and sliding the cleats forward to accommodate the shift back. Then I would have a second look at moving the front end lower.

The main thing I find odd is how wide your hips are still open at the top of the pedal stroke. I am guessing this is because you are a tall rider on short cranks and this means you should have room to move down without compromising power. Also because of the short cranks, relative to the length of your femur, you appear to be struggling to get the length you need our of the pedal rotation and have come to an usual balance of cleat position, saddle position and saddle height. It looks to me like you are reaching for the bottom of the pedal stroke but if you go down your knee will end up too far in front of the pedal.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmet - Keep or Toss [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting remark.

Yes my cleats as completely backwards and I am running 172,5 cranks. At first I struggled with the position, but now, I am super good with my power delivery and capabilities to run afterwards.

I am open to try what you are offering - I am not sure regarding the cleat positioning because it is super consistent with my road bike - but I will definitely try to lower the saddle and go a little backwards - which increment would you suggest?

--

Regarding my field of vision: all good - when I go super down of course I can't see very far but every time I take the TT bike out I consciously work on looking as far as possible while keeping the head low and / or sighting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleat position is personal and there are pros who swear by mid foot cleat positions. Adam Hanson famously makes his own shoes puts the cleats way back relative to commercial offerings.

It takes a second to adjust when you see fits with the position though as it’s unorthodox and it means the reference for the crank is a bit different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is unrelated to your question, but do you have any idea why you're rocking back and forth so much in the second video? Your seat's not too high, so I am curious as to what's causing it.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply