Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Disc vs. Speed
Quote | Reply
How much of a benefit does a disc wheel provide in terms of speed at varying speeds? I am trying to understand whether an upgrade to a disc wheel from a deep section wheel is worth the $2k if my average speed is around 20 mph.

The way Im thinking about this is that the benefit is a function of speed, so riding at 15 mph theres significantly less benefit to having a disc wheel than at 25 mph (where I have been told there is definitely a benefit). All the information Im finding is based on wind tunnel tests and is quoted in terms of wind angle vs. grams of resistance, which isnt helpful from a results-oriented perspective.

I understand there are various other things to consider like wind angle, weight, etc., but please ignore those.

I apologize if this has been addressed but I have not found an answer from my searches in this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Disc vs. Speed [scalyfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is The Definitive Post on disc wheels
One thing to keep in mind, the slower your speeds the greater the average wind angle you'll see. The longer you're on the course the greater your overall time savings. You have longer to benefit from the advantages.

Hope that helps

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7346345#p7346345

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider used discs or wheel covers too. Most people aren't daily riding their disc so you can find some pretty good deals on used ones in the classified section (especially if you've got a rim brake bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get the benefits of a $2000 disc by buying a used disc for $600-$700.

That said, and yes, I realize I'm answering a question you didn't ask... but there are lots of ways to benefit from increased expenditures, and maybe a disc isn't the best use of your money. A good coach might provide substantially more benefit than a disc wheel, for example. Or, perhaps a consultation with a nutritionist would be worthwhile. A lot depends on just what your limiters are.
Last edited by: Mudge: Sep 21, 22 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not all deep wheels are equal and not all disc wheels are equal.
Swiss side / Dt Swiss had tested their disc against their 80mm deep.
Result is 1.8w gain at 45kmh
https://www.swissside.com/...-rear-disk?locale=en

I like how the conclusion is viewed through the post above refering to another post from the Silca guy.
Quote Reply