Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aero Calf Gaurds
Quote | Reply
Hi all.
Just wondering on the advantages of aero calf gaurds any if anyone has much experience of them. They seem to be becoming alot more popular on the local TT/Tri scene in the UK. I know we are talking a handful of watts over a 40km TT or half iron distance bike. But are they really worth the hype or just another gimic???
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [Davebev89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a couple of watts better for me (nopinz/aerocoach trip sleeves)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [Davebev89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Handful? I'd take 1 watt if it was consistently shown in tests! I have never tested but whenever I do a wetsuit legal swim, I always wear calf guards, not "aero" ones but my understanding is that they a hair faster than bare, even shaven, calves. I wear them because of the bike, I realize they don't actually help my run at all but it doesn't seem they hurt either so whatevs.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot more than 1W for me. Look at the results for aero socks (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ero%20socks#p7068120), and then consider that they cover less than half your lower leg, and not even the widest section. I have a local race that is run 3X every summer on the same course, so it makes a great benchmark for me. I've done it with and without sleeves numerous times and am consistently 60sec faster over 40k with the sleeves.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
A lot more than 1W for me. Look at the results for aero socks (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ero%20socks#p7068120), and then consider that they cover less than half your lower leg, and not even the widest section. I have a local race that is run 3X every summer on the same course, so it makes a great benchmark for me. I've done it with and without sleeves numerous times and am consistently 60sec faster over 40k with the sleeves.

Where did you purchase your sleeves?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using CEP compression sleeves. If I were buying new today, probably go with the Drag2Zero ones. The key is having vertical ribbing to trip the boundary layer turbulent.

Personally, I don’t like running in compression sleeves, so I pull them off in T2 for 70.3+.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any difference in the feel of running in the Drag2Zero ones which are designed to maximize cycling speed as opposed to others that are, theoretically designed for running but may also help cycling speed. Any thoughts??
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just doing some more searching and found these from another UK company. A bit cheaper than Nopinz or D2zero. Less data but hard to imagine they're not faster than nothing.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Is there any difference in the feel of running in the Drag2Zero ones which are designed to maximize cycling speed as opposed to others that are, theoretically designed for running but may also help cycling speed. Any thoughts??

The D2Z ones also claim to have compression (no mmHg rating though). They seem thinner than knit compression calf sleeves, so hopefully they are cooler; I'm hoping for the same material that's in speedsuit sleeves, just for calves.

I've heard some folks say the Castelli speed socks tend to slip down on the run, so there must not be much compression there. Ideally they would make a sleeve version and add a gripper at the top.

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I was just doing some more searching and found these from another UK company. A bit cheaper than Nopinz or D2zero. Less data but hard to imagine they're not faster than nothing.

I'm using the Rule28 Calf Guards. Haven't done any aero testing, but I believe they do help. Haven't ever ridden faster than I do now, and they certainly didn't hurt my running.

I prefer calf guards over full socks because a) you can wear them during the (wetsuit legal) swim and b) compression socks do not feel right when running for me. My right calf sometimes cramps, and the guards seem to help there as well. I do not really believe in compressions socks (or compression guards), but aero guards are measurable faster and seem to help a bit to keep my calfs from cramping (during the run, of al the pounding).

Had some e-mail conversation with a guy of Rule28, and I'm supposed to gain about 2 minutes of IM distance cycling and maybe a handfull of seconds during the run :)

Given the price, I'd say you can't go wrong with these!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I did play down the benefit it seems 😳. If they are making that much of a difference i can understand why the uci has a sock height rule. Looks like they will be next on the purchae list
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the look of the Rule 28 guards.

I picked these up in the sale a while ago https://www.dalescycles.com/...zero-tri-calf-guards they are tight with no chance of them coming down during the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Handful?...... my understanding is that they a hair faster than bare, even shaven, calves.

Not my understanding, not at all, from all the testing I've done with them on numerous triathletes & cyclists

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
. A bit cheaper than Nopinz or D2zero. Less data but hard to imagine they're not faster than nothing.

And yet I've seen a lot of tests where "aero" socks/sleeves are slower than bare legs

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 8, 19 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaved, bare legs?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Handful?...... my understanding is that they a hair faster than bare, even shaven, calves.

Not my understanding, not at all, from all the testing I've done with them on numerous triathletes & cyclists

Interesting, well I was just going off what I hear around so I could be wrong! I am curious to know if those bare calves were always shaven as the main reason I wear the sleeves is to avoid shaving my legs...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

I had sized down on a pair - the D2Z sizing suggested I wear a large, but I've never worn anything but small / medium in anything, so i thought I would go medium. They were fine to ride and brick run in a few race rehearsals, so I thought good to go, and raced a full with them, end-to-end. What ended up happening during the run was the gradual swelling of my legs really pushed my calves out to jumbo size, and what was a comfortable calf guard size for 112b and about 16 miles of running turned into the equivalent of razor wire along the top for the last 10miles. They were so tight that they ended up cutting perfect horizontal lines into the skin along the circumference of my upper calves.

follow their sizing guide. A nice piece of gear once you get past any user error.
Last edited by: davetallo: Nov 8, 19 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
I'm using the Rule28 Calf Guards.

Sizing is by length rather than circumference. How do they fit? I have very large calves...
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Cnasta wrote:
I'm using the Rule28 Calf Guards.

Sizing is by length rather than circumference. How do they fit? I have very large calves...

I measured length and the fit was perfect. My calves are bigger than average, but not hulk-like :) Bigger calves would fit as well I think :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Is it very light stretching material or more substantial/firmer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not firm at all. Very comfy compared to other sleeves. Also trust their sizing measurements. They are spot on. I was worried when I first tried but after a few trainer rides and a few runs I do not even notice them anymore.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Nov 9, 19 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Trust EnderWiggan :) Stretchy, with grippy top (not annoying, no tight feeling).

Didn’t need a few rides btw, felt great on the first ride and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was worried about the silicone grip towards the top of the sleeves but I shouldn’t have been. I should add that they didn’t need any break in period it was more my concern with testing to make sure I could wear them for many hours without any issues.

Cnasta wrote:
rruff wrote:

Trust EnderWiggan :) Stretchy, with grippy top (not annoying, no tight feeling).

Didn’t need a few rides btw, felt great on the first ride and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Shaved, bare legs?

Yes

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

If it saves 1W on the bike but you lose the cooling effect of bare skin on the run, it seems like it would be way worse overall. I use them in cold weather races as "tights" for both the bike and run. But when it gets warm, I'd rather be cooler especially on the run. For the same reason I would not wear a full length top on the run in a hot race due to overheating, I prefer to leave legs exposes for the cooling effect. Maybe a more dramatic test would be to wear them on the treadmill to see heart rate versus speed curves with and without. This would at least indicate if there are any additional beats one could attribute to thermal stress.
Quote Reply

Prev Next