Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero/wheel strategy for hilly tris
Quote | Reply
Given my love of hills and a favorable power:weight ratio, I enjoy HIM and IM distance tris with a bit more climbing than most

For example: Sea-to-Summit, SavageMan, IMLOU, and I'm doing IMMT this year (granted not as hilly, but it worked with my schedule) -- and occasionally a local race w/rolling terrain

This climbing and a road bike background motivated my purchase of an aero road Fuji Transonic, to which I've added bolt-on aerobars. Stock wheels I raced on last year are Oval Concepts 950F carbon/alum (50mm deep), which I realize are unimpressive.

I am not heavy, with race weight 130-132lbs.

How would you optimize for speed/aero given these constraints? I am thinking of doing a Zipp 808 in the rear and 404 up front. I have no experience with carbon wheels; climbing can also imply some pretty serious descents. Should I be concerned about braking performance? and/or cross-wind effects given my light weight? Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero/wheel strategy for hilly tris [westandrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless it's wet? braking should be fine

as for winds.. the 404 overall if not great at handing winds... you will probably feel it. But I dont know you threshold so it's hard to say if you can handle it. I'm heavier (alot) and I only dont like a deep wheel in areas where I can get surprised by it. Like in between canyons, hills, mountains where you can get hit suddenly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When in doubt go shallow up front. I’d strongly suggest looking at the Jet Black 4 front 9 rear combo. Very versatile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like racing hills, I HIGHLY recommend aluminum brake track wheels. And, in general, deeper is always better, but YMMV.

I started out with full carbon 60mm front & 90mm rear. I got the shallower front wheel because I was nervous about handling. Turned out, that was a non-issue for me. But, I do not know how much that would matter for lighter people.

I rode my carbon clincher wheels on my TT bike on a century with 12K feet of climbing. My hands were exhausted from the braking. Even on a moderately hilly HIM with just 4,400 feet of climbing, the braking made my hands tired.

I upgraded to 90mm/disc HED Jet Black 9/Disc wheels for this year. Per above, no issues at all with handling. They are my everyday wheels. Braking is magic. Even in the wet, brakes feel like dry.
Quote Reply