Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advil on race day? Good? Bad?
Quote | Reply
Is it a bad idea to take Advil prior to a race? 70.3 or longer?
When the race is important I am willing to take some calculated risk of running through an injury, but are there other detrimental things I am not thinking of when doing this?
Affect on nervous system and cramping?
Affect on digestion?
Overall negative impacts?

Curious to hear experts input here.
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take them and it helps me especially with my run. My back hurts a little after the bike, but advil/tyrenol definitely helps. You can try when you train and see. My back is usually fine, but when I hunch over to work on my car(engine bay) or ride in sero position for a while, it gets stiff and hurts a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A general comment: don't do anything new on race day. If you can handle it for training then go for it.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
Is it a bad idea to take Advil prior to a race? 70.3 or longer?
When the race is important I am willing to take some calculated risk of running through an injury, but are there other detrimental things I am not thinking of when doing this?
Affect on nervous system and cramping?
Affect on digestion?
Overall negative impacts?

Curious to hear experts input here.
I have no concerns on any of the above listed assuming you're managing all of it well, already.

I am not expert in the following, but IIRC, organ damage risk is substantially higher when taking NSAIDs during prolonged endurance exercise. Hopefully someone will pop in here with handy links to literature.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Doc, that is kinda what I was thinking. I had heard this previously from an ultrarunner but haven't seen anything to back it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the danger in endurance sports is dehydration, and Advil is harder on the kidneys during dehydration. I take Advil from time to time before riding or swimming, but I ensure that I am very hydrated or have eaten a light meal (food never bothered me when riding or swimming). I generally don't ride over 65 miles so, it's obviously the concern that Tri events are - when the body is much more susceptible to dehydration. I know people with issues (like myself with my knee) like to take 4 tablets (800mg), but I recommend limiting it to 600mg, if not less.

The bigger issue with Advil is taking a relatively high dose (~1800mg+/day) over a long period of time. One time affairs, like only for a Tri event, are very unlikely to cause any problem with normally healthy kidneys.
Last edited by: NealH: Jun 24, 22 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bad T5 disc due to someone's cell phone and take all kinds of crap during a full distance event including Advil. Not saying it is ok, but I wouldn't be doing this without it, and so far I still have two kidneys.
Last edited by: Fat Pelican: Jun 24, 22 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
physician here
it's bad
don't do it
significant risk of kidney damage
google it and there's all sorts of evidence in endurance athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked this question (about Ibuprofen) a few years ago and received similar responses. Some medical people said it was ok, others said no. I also researched various medical journal articles, ultra running sites, Dr. Google, etc., and my (non-medical person here) take was that the longer the event, the higher the temp, the higher the dose, and the longer you’ve been taking it, put you at very high risk. Long term use and dehydration were repeatedly sited. Long events looked to be anything over an hour!

I have a knee issue that turned out to be bone on bone arthritis. Diclofenac (topical NSAID) before a race is my go to, but I use it sparingly at other times. Training and racing are huge quality of life needs for me, along with being the foundation of my general health. Ortho says a knee replacement is in my future, but continue to run if tolerated. When the Diclofenac doesn’t do it anymore, ibuprofen will be next, then cortisone, then other injections, then replacement.

LOL, I’m competing against people taking steroids, TRT, and other crap, an Ibuprofen on race day doesn’t seem that bad!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO CRAMPS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iv'e used advil in training and racing over the years and it helped. No damage done. You do have to be aware of what it can do to the body if you take too much as previously stated. Years ago Advil offered to sposnsor me and I turned them down as I did not want to endorse a product knowing the harm it could do when not used properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtbag wrote:
Iv'e used advil in training and racing over the years and it helped. No damage done. You do have to be aware of what it can do to the body if you take too much as previously stated. Years ago Advil offered to sposnsor me and I turned them down as I did not want to endorse a product knowing the harm it could do when not used properly.

Wow really? I had no idea they sponsored triathletes!
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
dirtbag wrote:

Wow really? I had no idea they sponsored triathletes!

Not sure if they ever did get into sponsoring many. They had reached out to me about working together, just wasn't a company I wanted to align myself with.
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [tridadsask] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridadsask wrote:
physician here
it's bad
don't do it
significant risk of kidney damage
google it and there's all sorts of evidence in endurance athletes

To add to the Dr's point. I have exercise induced anaphlaxis (throat swelling) and advil (NSAIDS) is my trigger. It has to be a race effort to get it going.
I took advil regularly but it wasn't until I took it before a 10k and end of the race it got very interesting. Sneezing followed by facial swelling and the throat.
Thankfully my wife who is also a Dr. was pretty calm because I started to panic!

Apparently, its relatively rare but there is still quite a few case reports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didnt read all the posts so this might be stated, but I know of some running ultra racers that take tylenol for the minor pains.
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tylenol and and Advil are different drugs.
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize that. I dont believe Tylenol has the dangerous side effect that advil has. So maybe if the person wants to address pain during the race, the tylenol might help without destroying the kidneys......
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a Doctor. But, I have been recommended before by a doctor to take Tylenol over Advil if I really need something in a race. Taking neither would be the healthiest option. But, as Advil is filtered through the kidneys and Tylenol is filtered through the liver, Tylenol is allegedly the safer choice of the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never ever ever take NSAIDS to alleviate race pain. I prefer to keep my own kidneys.

(Not a doctor, but also not being a fire safety expert doesn’t stop me from discouraging people from smoking while putting gas in their car).

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jul 1, 22 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t race injured!
Quote Reply
Re: Advil on race day? Good? Bad? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get headaches on really bright / sunny days. Advil helps. Done it in more than one 140.6 mid-bike.

Not saying I advise it, just giving my n=1.
Quote Reply