Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on additional bike to TT/Tri bike: Aero or Road
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I started triathlon a year ago, training essentially on Wattbike a the gym and on a second hand TT bike I recently bought. I would like to buy a non TT bike for ride with friends or non TT training during the winter. I live in London so not very hilly. Any suggestion between an aerobike or lightweight roadbike ? Is there one better than the other to complement my existing bike/training for triathlon. I have currently my eyes on two used bikes (that I can get at similar price) a giant propel pro or a cannondale supersix evo HI-MOD, both with aero wheel set.

Thanks

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on additional bike to TT/Tri bike: Aero or Road [bddbuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing you need to consider is how you are going to get from your door to the main training routes. Then you need to decided if you are looking for a winter training bike or a bike to ride on club runs in good weather? I appreciate the term 'living in London' covers a huge area so I know people who take very different approaches to training outdoors.

The bikes you are suggesting are great but would be considered summer bikes by most of the people I race and train with. They have limited tire clearance, won't accept standard mud guards, have components that are not so cheap to replace and aren't going to be the most amenable to getting thrown in and out of cars if that's what is required. Have a quick google for winter 'hack' bikes and you get a better idea of the types of bikes being used by many of us throughout the winter. They aren't as sexy as what you have suggested but they are far more practical as training machines on UK roads. As nearly all hack bikes are alloy or Ti they are better able to withstand the punishments of constant transport which may be required to get outside of London.

Overall I know few people who have a high end road bike but don't also have a hack bike they use regularly throughout the winter. If you don't plan on racing the road bike I would aim lower on price ladder and use the remaining cash for upgrades at a later date. UK road grit eats bottom brackets, rims, brake pads, exposed cables, bolt head, etc so you will have plenty of opportunity to upgrade as parts wear out.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on additional bike to TT/Tri bike: Aero or Road [bddbuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO, it is a pure personal style decision. On paper, I know that aero road bikes are faster than traditional road bikes. And, some of them, like the Specialized Venge are flat gorgeous. When I bought my 2nd bike to complement my TT bike, I went with a traditional road bike. Overall, I preferred the old-school look. And, I liked that they are generally a little bit lighter, and I like the way a light bike feels.

Between those two, I would go for the Cannondale. It has better carbon, and their cool spider crank.
Quote Reply