Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on IM trining and sickness
Quote | Reply
Some advice please. I am currently training for my First Ironman.I am 5 weeks in, and yesterday was violently ill with the flu.I am feeling better today and will skip training today. Probably will skip tomorrow. Should I incorporate the 3 days I missed in with my training,or just continue on like I have done them? My training schedule is one of Mark Allen"s so I did not have a rest day coming up. Thanks Being a newbee I am trying to keep to the training schedule exactly for the mental confidence it will give on the day of the event. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on IM trining and sickness [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney, a couple of things. If you indeed do have the flu it will be more than a couple of days before you can get back to training. Once you get back you'll have to take it easy for several days to prevent a relapse.

Next. Training schedules are not chiseled in concrete. If you miss a workout don't try and "double up to catch up." The only caveat I use is if it is a "key" workout then I will try to get it in in lieu of an easier workout.

When I set up a program for a 1st time IM I generally build in an additional two weeks to cover things like illness or injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on IM trining and sickness [Bernie S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bernie. I am assuming the flu. All night running to the bathroom either to hug or sit, didn"t sleep Thurs night.Feeling much better today. Plan on resuming training Mon. I did get in both High aerobic and both endurance days in last week. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to be careful, even if your first IM was CDA, losing time now would not prevent you from finishing you might just have to re-evaualuate how you want to do.

I just lost 2.5 weeks completely and have aless then 3 months to CDA, these things happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most important thing with any race is showing up healthy. You need to take what ever time you need to get healthy. Don't even think of working out if you feel ill. Think with your head, not your hormones.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on IM trining and sickness [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andrewmc. It is Cda. Hope to see you there. My name in the participants list is Ken Cottrell. Maybe we can keep each other posted on how we are doing. What kind of time you going for?
Quote Reply