Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program
Quote | Reply
Looking for feedback from those who have completed an Ironman using this program. It appears to be their hardest program, and am assuming it would be the go to program for someone looking to Kona qual?

Would love to hear thoughts from those that completed the 23 week program and how their race went.

I have the book and subscribe to this training method, but the mileage appears on the low end especially if you think that 80% of the mileage is going to be easy. For example, the swim sets are like 1500 - 2000m.

Anyway, would love to hear success stories or otherwise from those that have used their Level 3 program.

Many thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [bumcrackjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using their plans for a while and while I haven’t raced on one yet (2020), I’d highly recommend. I was doing Bike power plus Run pace, with my own swim program. The workouts are great, I really like the structure and David Warden us very responsive to questions - send them an email if you have questions, he’ll likely answer pretty quickly.

I don’t know that plan as I was aiming at 70.3, but I think you should be fine with it as a base.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [bumcrackjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bumcrackjack wrote:
Looking for feedback from those who have completed an Ironman using this program. It appears to be their hardest program, and am assuming it would be the go to program for someone looking to Kona qual?

Would love to hear thoughts from those that completed the 23 week program and how their race went.

I have the book and subscribe to this training method, but the mileage appears on the low end especially if you think that 80% of the mileage is going to be easy. For example, the swim sets are like 1500 - 2000m.

Anyway, would love to hear success stories or otherwise from those that have used their Level 3 program.

Many thanks.

Personally, I’d do the Level 4 plan

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
bumcrackjack wrote:

Many thanks.

Not sure if that is meant to be pink, but that is exactly what I am looking for. On their website it only goes to Level 3, but if there is a Level 4 with higher Z1/Z2 volume I would love to know where it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just add 33% to it and you get level 4
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
I have been using their plans for a while and while I haven’t raced on one yet (2020), I’d highly recommend. I was doing Bike power plus Run pace, with my own swim program. The workouts are great, I really like the structure and David Warden us very responsive to questions - send them an email if you have questions, he’ll likely answer pretty quickly.

I don’t know that plan as I was aiming at 70.3, but I think you should be fine with it as a base.

I just stumbled on this question for the first time so sorry for churning it back up. I followed the plan for 3 months last year (2020) before Covid put and end to the season and I stopped min June. Like you, before starting, I thought it was a little light on miles and although I didn't get to the meaty end of the program I had to add another session and opted for a another long bike (3:00ish), the type of session was based on how I felt. I didn't want to add another run as I've been quite injury prone over the last 2 years so I'm cautious about doing too much running. I'm sure it ramps up towards the end but for the most I found it a little light.

I'd be interested on other people's thoughts and experiences using the plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
bumcrackjack wrote:

Many thanks.

You’ve been trying really hard, so let me congratulate you on officially becoming the biggest douchebag here...
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi I've the book, with 23 weeks plans, but where is the Level 4 definition relatively to Level 3 ? +33% should be added to what?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [andreasqq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything written in pink here is either a joke, sarcasm or an exaggeration.

There is no level 4 but if you look at the differences between 1, 2 and 3 you can get an Idea of how much volume and/or intensity you can add to increase stress on yourself to stimulate improvement, if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on 80 / 20 Ironman Level 3 "Elite" program [andreasqq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I spent some time on the Level 3 IM distance 23-week plan and I found to be too low in running. The top age-grouper in Kona for some years M40-44 was saying that he was doing (long) runs 6 days a week when training for qualifying event and for Kona. I think the best plan should have more focus on run after the uberbike.
Some weeks the plan prescribes less then or equal the time to do an IM marathon, as stand alone workout for the day, i.e. not on bricks. This is difficult to think. One should do stand alone runs and medium-long runs as part of bricks, otherwise on race day the fatigue from uberbike will determine a slow run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is where it gets hard
To be able to run well, you need to be able to run, which to prepare for, you need to train appropriately, both volume and quality.

So saying, if you don't get enough bike training in, then no matter how well you run, your legs will be shot before you get off the bike, and you won't be able to run at all.

(As both a poor biker and runner, compared with the average, I have met a few people on the back end of an IM who are nearly in tears, due to the fact that I am walking, and have caught them, because they are 'runners' who didn't prepare for the bike properly, and they cannot perform to the standards they expected.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasqq wrote:
Hi, I spent some time on the Level 3 IM distance 23-week plan and I found to be too low in running.
im an 80/20 subscriber and ive only used their 70.3 plans, but completely agree. for the average person im sure its more than adequate, but i def have to add in more time / miles in for running, all of which is typically zone 1 and some zone 2 depending on how much i add.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it really fair to think that everyone/anyone that follows a plan from a book is going to be a Kona Qualifier?

To race at that level, especially in the M40-44, you have to be a pretty good athlete and train well or be a better than average athlete that trains really well and squeezes every little bit they can out of their training.

I think that's a lot to ask from a book that costs $20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I would suggest reviewing the 80/20 plan and also read "Your Best Triathlon by Joe Friel". The 80/20's swim workouts and volume are lacking in my opinion compared to the bike and run.
Quote Reply