Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice needed on using disc wheel
Quote | Reply
I will be doing a 70.3 on a course known to be very windy (Eagleman in MD), and need some advice on whether or not to use a disc wheel. I have heard they shouldn't be used on windy courses, but I have also heard that a full disc on the back may not affect bike handling in the wind, and may even act to stabilize the bike. Any opinions or advice? Anyone have experience using a disc wheel at this particular race?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice needed on using disc wheel [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had an issue with back wheel in windy conditions. It is always the deep front wheel that gives me trouble. I would say definitely go with the disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use the disc. But...

How often do you ride with your disc. My 90/disc wheels are my full-time training wheels on my tri bike. So, any time I am outside, that is what I ride, so I am accustomed to winds from all directions.

Also, what bike do you have? A twitchy bike might be different than one designed for stability (and not agility).

I have been hit by some pretty major crosswinds with my disc at Gulf Coast 70.3 and some gusts at WC Nice in 2019. The bike handled them just fine. I don't think I moved more than a couple inches when >20 MPH pure crosswind gusts hit me in PCB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, the front wheel is the culprit when it comes to squirrely handling. The disc helps stabilize the bike in crosswinds. It may seem counterintuitive that something with far more surface area does that but that’s how the physics works.

I’ve used numerous combos over the years. 60/60, 60/90, 70/90, 90/90, H3/H3, H3+/H3+, and each of those front wheels with a disc. BY FAR the scariest combo was 90/90. There were a couple of rides that were absolutely terrifying. I prefer the 60/Disc or H3(H3+)/Disc.

This was a post from Chris with Flo from a few years ago...

Quote:
A few thoughts on crosswind stability.
1. Front wheels cause more stability problems than rear wheels because they have a steering axis (your handlebars/head tube). When wind hits your front wheel it can cause the front wheel to turn, which can cause stability issues, and for lack of better terms, scare you. The depth of your front wheel, and the shape of your front wheel both contribute to the instability. In most cases, the deeper the wheel, the more unstable it becomes. With respect to wheel shape, wheels that produce a high amount of yaw torque (a fancy way of saying the wind causes your handlebars to turn) are also less stable. Some of the most modern wheel designs have taken not only aerodynamics into consideration, but also yaw torque. As an example, our design algorithm included yaw torque as a parameter. This is because we know stability is important, simply because a fast wheel that is nearly impossible to ride, will slow you down because you can't control it.

2. The depth ratio of your front wheel compared to your rear wheel matters when talking about stability. As your rear wheels gets deeper with respect to the front wheel, your center of pressure moves towards the rear end of the bike. To visualize this, imagine you were looking at a picture of yourself riding your bike from the side. If you had to find the center of the "area" you create, that would be your center of pressure. As you create more rear area with a deeper rear wheel, the center of that area moves backwards. As your center of pressure moves backwards, you reduce the force on your front wheel, and in turn increase stability.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 22, 21 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: Advice needed on using disc wheel [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
I've never had an issue with back wheel in windy conditions. It is always the deep front wheel that gives me trouble. I would say definitely go with the disc.

^^^^^This.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the disc
Quote Reply
Re: Advice needed on using disc wheel [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a similar question - relative newbie with no experience riding on aero wheels. Considering a Zipp Super 9 carbon clincher in the back with a 404 up front for a similar windy course.

Sounds like I should be OK with the rear disc, but is the 404 up front likely to cause me handling problems? Bike is a Cervelo P2.
Last edited by: swissalps88: Apr 22, 21 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: Advice needed on using disc wheel [swissalps88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the same setup I am using at Eagleman. Bike too. I am renting the wheels for the race...so hopefully not being used to it won't cause me issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might have a look at what most people used in the previous editions of the race, then decide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on using a disc with a 404 front...so looking to see what people see on here.

Also...I am in CT as well. Really searching for a good 30-40 mile flat course to ride. I live outside of Hartford....any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice needed on using disc wheel [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene - I usually ride in the East Haddam/Lyme area- lots of hills and few flats. I am also looking for a flat course to prep for Eagleman. From what I have heard, long rides on the trainer may be a good substitute!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can’t help with a route but you will be fine with a 404/disc setup

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene- I am also using a 404 in front and renting a super 9 zipp disc! Hopefully there will be more posts about the suitability of a 404 up front (too deep?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may head down to Route 1 to get some miles in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be totally fine with a disc on the back and a 404 upfront in almost any wind conditions. I use an 808 upfront, until it gets super windy then I switch down to the 404.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kolrene- good luck with your training. Be very careful when riding on Rte 1 - lots of traffic down there, especially as it gets warmer and people are heading to the beaches.
Quote Reply