Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Advice for buying a new Bike
Quote | Reply
Good morning everyone,

I'm new to this forum and and first time that I post in a forum in general. But I read with extreme interest most of the posts of this forum.
I'd like to buy a new bike and it will be the first serious investment on a bike. The objective is to train and race two 70.3 IM that hopefully will go ahead this year. Hence I am looking for a bike that will be an all-around bike for training as well as an effective bike for the race day. The shop that I have chosen recommended three options:

Cannondale system six: https://www.cannondale.com/...emsix-carbon-ultegra

Cervelo Caledonia: https://www.cervelo.com/en/caledonia

Argon 18 Nitrogen: https://www.argon18.com/...s/road/nitrogen-disc

any suggestion, feedback would be very much appreciated

have a nice weekend
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [Lore1802] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if the SystemSix is a good fit for you but if it is I would highly recommend it. For an aero bike it is extremely comfortable and hands down the fastest road bike I've owned.
Get a bike fit from an unbiased fitter and purchase one that fits your coordinates, not one they have in stock that they say fits you
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you very much! much appreciated the feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be really limited by what is actually available. Does your shop actually have any of these bikes?

It seems like an odd combination of recommendations. I'm not familiar with the Argon but the Cannondale and the Cervelo aren't really comparable bikes in their product lines. The Cervelo equivalent of the SystemSix would be an S-Series and the Cannondale SuperSix or Topstone would be more like the Caledonia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just get a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lore1802 wrote:
The objective is to train and race two 70.3 IM that hopefully will go ahead this year. Hence I am looking for a bike that will be an all-around bike for training as well as an effective bike for the race day.

I either don’t understand your conclusion or the advice of your bike shop. Those bikes may be very good for all around riding. None of those bikes will be the most effective for race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Best advice yet....^^^^^^^^^^

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the bikes you posted, I’d go with the Cervelo. I’m assuming you’re not looking at two bikes (tri bike and road bike), so I would go with something you could put gravel or wider tires on, and potentially put aerobars on for your races. If this bike is an investment that you’ll have for a long time, allow it to play multiple roles for now. If you decide to get a second bike that is more specific to triathlon racing, then get a tri bike when you’re ready.

You could also look to someone like Quintana Roo/ Obed. See if they would give you a deal on getting two different bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Best advice yet....^^^^^^^^^^
Thirded.

Do you currently own a bike? If so, that's your training bike.
If you don't currently own a bike, allocate some of your budget to buy a cheap road bike. It doesn't have to be fast/aero/light, it's to make you stronger.

Then buy a TT/Tri race bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I though about it but I will have only one bike hence an aero bike would be more versatile and safer I guess while training on the road

Many thanks

L
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your suggestion is spot on - you understood perfectly point: given this is going to be my only bike I would like to make the most of it. Even if it may be slower on race day.

Many thanks for your feedback

L
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to be dedicated to triathlon moving forward I agree with the others that a cheap road bike + TT bike is probably the best option.

However, if you are going to be doing the 70.3's as a 'two-off' and you'll be doing drafting triathlons / cycling clubs / cycling with friends more in the future, I can see why you would be drawn to a good aero road bike, as that is the bike you'll be predominantly using.

If you go down the road bike route you'll need clip on aero bars, so you'll need to think about whether bike has the option to integrate these (like the Trek Madone has on some specs) or that the bars are not aero, so you can fit a standard pair of profile design (or alternative).

I think it also depends on your ambitions - if you want to go as fast as possible, buy a TT bike. If you want to do two 70.3's for the experience then consider your options and whether to invest further a road bike could be right. It is also worth you can go at a good pace on a road bike with clip on aero bars, I used a road bike with clip ons for my first Ironman and did 180KM outside in 4:56:35 in training.

Once I'd completed a couple of 70.3s and a IM, I then invested in a Canyon Speedmax. This worked out well for me, as I use the road bike more, so I want it to be decent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was in your position, and assuming space isn't the main factor..

The systemsix ultegra you linked to is ÂŁ4.5k where I live (UK).

For that same money I could get..

1. A cervelo P series with disc brakes and 105 (maybe even Ultegra) or a Quintana Roo PR5.

AND

2. Whatever Specialized Allez or Diverge comes with 105 or better.

For example, I can get the Cervelo P series with 105 for around ÂŁ2.3k and the Spesh Allez E5 Elite for ÂŁ1.25k.

Spend the rest on wheels/tyres/kit.

That's what I'd do.

Good luck either way, bikes are awesome and you'll enjoy whatever you throw your leg over.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
If I was in your position, and assuming space isn't the main factor..

The systemsix ultegra you linked to is ÂŁ4.5k where I live (UK).

For that same money I could get..

1. A cervelo P series with disc brakes and 105 (maybe even Ultegra) or a Quintana Roo PR5.

AND

2. Whatever Specialized Allez or Diverge comes with 105 or better.

For example, I can get the Cervelo P series with 105 for around ÂŁ2.3k and the Spesh Allez E5 Elite for ÂŁ1.25k.

Spend the rest on wheels/tyres/kit.

That's what I'd do.

Good luck either way, bikes are awesome and you'll enjoy whatever you throw your leg over.

Cheers, Rich.
Yep. As you say, the important question is why the restriction to a single bike? If it's cost, get 2 but cheaper. If it's space, decide whether you want to enjoy riding or race faster, and get a road bike or tri bike respectively based on that answer.
An aero road frame doesn't do much to bridge the gap to a TT bike. The main difference between a road bike and a TT/Tri bike is not the shape of the bikes tubes, it's the position of the rider. That can not usually be well emulated on a road bike, and will likely just make it the worst of both worlds - expensive, inconvenient, uncomfortable, poor handling, and not fast.
A road bike with clip-ons and maybe a forward saddle is a better option for racing than a normal road bike configuration, but I wouldn't want that to be my normal training bike, nor would I want to be putting on ad taking off clip-ons regularly, or adjusting the saddle or stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, if it's one bike your after in my opinion you can't really go wrong with a specialized tarmac. I have an sl6, and its one hell of a bike. If you stick with round bars you can add aerobars (I have a set of draft legal bars) and you can get into a pretty decent position. For reference I already ride in a very forward position on the bike as my body is weird, but with the inline seatpost and the draft legal tri bars I have gotten some fast bike splits and third in a local 9 mile TT (which is my cycling claim to fame so far) ahead of some TT bikes (and I'm 63kg and this is a rolling course, so I'm not getting that result off of pure watts for certain). When not TTing I take the aerobars off and go and ride on a bike that just makes me smile, and helps get those KOMs and PRs on the climbs (or undulations considering there's no real climbs near me. this is the tt position I can get into and hold on the bike with draft legal bars (sorry its so large I have a hell of a battle adding photos etc. here)

this will not be as quick or as aero as a Tri bike, that is for certain. It will however still likely do the job and make you smile. I have bought a Tri bike for tri's, but not at the loss of that road bike, as the road bike just makes me smile and means I can do hill climbs and crits and draft legal tris.
Last edited by: TommyBTri: Jan 18, 21 4:00
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people may be able to get into a reasonable TT/Tri position on a roadbike with clip-ons and without major adjustments from their road bike setup, and you may be one of them, but I think that's the exception.
I tried this several years ago, before getting a tri bike. I needed a longer stem with as much drop as I could get (I think I ended up with a Specialized 130mm -24deg stem versus a 100m, -6deg stem for normal riding). I also used a Profile Design Fast Forward seatpost which had about 35 or 40mm forward offset, and I needed a split nose saddle to avoid doing myself an injury for prolonged periods in the tuck. I was reasonably quick with this position, but the bike's handling was very poor. I had way too much weight on the front wheel. Furthermore, I made this conversion with my old road bike after I had purchased a replacement. I wouldn't have considered it acceptable to convert back and forth depending on whether I wanted to train/race in TT position or go for a group ride. Swapping a seatpost/saddle, stem and clip-ons, and then getting everything in exactly the right place each time is not something I'd be willing to do frequently. I'd rather use that time riding or relaxing.
My experience may be normal or may be he opposite extreme to your, but the fact remains that I wouldn't advise someone to buy a road bike with the intention of using it in TT position, unless they know in advance how they intend to set themselves up, the compromises involved, and how their position will work out on that specific bike - ensuring that they don't buy the wrong road bike just to make the TT element work.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything you’ve said is true, I likely got carried on a tangent (happens often I’m afraid). I was trying to say if he does want a road bike for most things but the option to put tt bars on every now for a Tri then it is possible.
All that said, I wouldn’t have bought a Tri bike if it wouldn’t have been an improvement, it’s just providing the other side of the argument for the OP to weigh up (the other side to the argument has been covered spot on by others on this thread- yourself included)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lore1802 wrote:
Your suggestion is spot on - you understood perfectly point: given this is going to be my only bike I would like to make the most of it. Even if it may be slower on race day.

If this will be your one bike, take a brief look at this approach, it suggests another great (and fast) option that many new athletes overlook:
https://darkspeedworks.com/blog-triathlonbike.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lore1802 wrote:

L

I should also say my suggestion doesn’t mean the Cervelo is the best option for you. I look at those specs and think of the trails, paths and roads that I ride and think it’s a good option. For example, if gravel isn’t an option where you live, then go for an aero road bike. I think once you get an idea of the particular fit, specs and features you want, you can then look at a couple manufacturers and see what options they have to meet your requirements.

As others have mentioned as well, a good bike fit will also help you select a bike you’ll enjoy riding for extended periods of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much. This is very helpful
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much! Before reading your reply I thought I made up my mind, but your suggestion gave more food for thought! Thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lore1802 wrote:

L

So, just to recap......you started a thread apparently knowing before you did what you wanted to do, waited for a poster to give the advice that matched your desire, and then praised him for it, and presumably will now follow that advice while ignoring the majority view of what to do.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 18, 21 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d cut him a little slack. It is his first post here and he did say up front that he was looking for an “all-around” bike. The way I read it is that he is asking for confirmation, or not, of the bikes his shop recommended.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for buying a new Bike [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
I’d cut him a little slack. It is his first post here and he did say up front that he was looking for an “all-around” bike. The way I read it is that he is asking for confirmation, or not, of the bikes his shop recommended.

It’s not like I attacked his children here. I’m just calling out confirmation bias when I see it. We all have it-myself included.
Quote Reply

Prev Next