Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? (Post Race Update)
Quote | Reply
I am racing IMLV on Sunday and going for an AG podium, ideally KQ. To me, seconds matter...

The forecast is low of 45, high of 60 and rain. I am guessing I wont see 60 degrees on the bike, low to mid 50's is more realistic if that forecast holds. On a training ride, if it is below 60 and cloudy I am wearing arm warmers and maybe gloves. 50 and I am busting out the leg warmers. Rain will make it feel colder I am guessing.

Coming out of the swim in cooler temps I am usually just fine because I am warmed up and the adrenaline is pumping. I am gonna bring cold weather gear so I am prepared for anything, but I prefer not to take the time to put it on in transition or to take the aero penalty riding.

What do the other people that are RACING an ironman do in colder temps?
Last edited by: TennesseeJed: Oct 18, 18 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid - Newspapers down my chest for the descent into Keene.

Roth - Newspapers after the swim got rid of that 25k into ride, kept arm warmers on & knee warmers on. Ripped them off at T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TL DR: Neoprene is your friend if its cold and wet.

My gameplan for 70.3 Weymouth (low 50's, torrential rain for the entire bike, 20-25mph winds rising to 40-45mph):

Long sleeved neoprene (0.5mm) rash vest under wetsuit but over the trisuit which I left on the for the bike. Great windproof layer, tight so no aero penalty, and in heavy rain warm and wet beats cold and wet. Nothing really keeps out hours of heavy sustained rain so focus on the warmth side.
Neoprene socks/booties were allowed in the swim due to water temps. I kept mine on for the bike. Happiest bit of the race was splashing happily through T1 to get my bike - watching other people get the 'cold water, feet wet already ugh' look.
Neoprene gloves (check you can operate gears/access your food with them first - so quite thin)

Obviously removed the neoprene top, swapped booties for nice dry socks for the run which was another huge boost to morale. My T1 was quick as I had no layers to put on, T2 a bit slower but any losses were minor and dwarf time loss if you are freezing and demoralised on the bike. Double that for full distance.

T2 was carnage, guys shivering in the corner drinking tea trying to warm up, others running around shouting for help, unable to remove their helmets due to cold hands. They had to hire two double decker buses to rescue people off the course. MPRO Will Clarke was leading the bike with 15km to go - had a puncture, by the time he fixed it he'd gone hypothermic and had to pull out.

It was a great race :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race the Israman (featured here in January) almost every year, where a cold year meants 3-4 degrees above freezing - but the start is 700m of altitude below most of the bike course, so there's no way to tell what the temps are like "up there" when you get out of the water.

I prioritise fast transitions, so my strategy for years where the forecast is not as extreme - similar to what you're describing, 10-15c - I usually reach for a skin-tight baselayer (mine's an Adidas) underneath my regular trisuit. I swim in it, it dries quickly enough (if it's not raining) and costs no time in transition. Removal in T2 (if it warms up) costs no time since you can do it running off the bike.

Calf sleeves help take the bite off the cold (and some even claim to improve aerodynamics!), as do toe-covers. I'm considering experimenting with the Orca tri-booties, Kienle-style, this year. Consider gloves (which can be taped to the bike and worn on the fly), but I guess that's personal preference.

On colder years I've raced in the dhb Aeron top - it's snug, no wrinkles whatsoever, but I don't have any data on aerodynamics. For sure it's more aero than all those racing with a nylon vest...

Remember that raceday isn't your average training day. For training I'd layer up more... For racing I can get away with less.

One more note: Think about nutrition placement. Some bars and gels can get awfully hard and/or viscous in the cold.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:

DNF or DNS.

Seriously. Cold rainy races are shit, especially something as long as an Ironman.
I'll find a hot meal and a pint at a pub instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1 on that. Going downhill in the rain being hypothermic and shivering. That would be the point to quit. Cause the next thing is crashing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d worry about your nutrition plan if it involved a lot of liquid calories. You won’t be sweating and it will be easy to overdrink or not be able to get all your calories in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's good to remember that everyone else will be racing in thr same conditions so if the goal is KQ, you don't have to beat a time goal, you just have to beat other people.

That being said, rain is an x factor, but I'd stash some hand/toe warmers in your kit pockets. If hands or feet are going numb, that'll solve it real quick and you can discard them when no longer needed. Packages are thin and easily stashed away with no aero penalty. And they cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great screen name
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Cover vents in your aero helmet (use duct tape that can be peeled off if needed)
2) Knee warmers under your wetsuit
3) Neoprene or Latex (velotoze) shoe covers
4) If you have a very snug long sleeve jersey pull that on in T1 over tri top
** Consider lining the front of that with a garbage bag OR if you can get a very snug rain top (not easy to find) OR Very snug vest
4) Gloves! ... There are some cheap work gloves that have a lot of rubber on them for grip and warmth

... consider adjustment in fueling in that you won;t need as much hydration and most will feel and be more hungry when weather is colder

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
1) Cover vents in your aero helmet (use duct tape that can be peeled off if needed)
** Consider lining the front of that with a garbage bag OR if you can get a very snug rain top (not easy to find) OR Very snug vest
4) Gloves! ... There are some cheap work gloves that have a lot of rubber on them for grip and warmth

... consider adjustment in fueling in that you won;t need as much hydration and most will feel and be more hungry when weather is colder

instead of Duct Tape, try KT tape. A little easier to come off. Or Electrical tape -- much easier to come off if necessary (test to see if it completely stays on). I can imagine the duct tape being so sticky that you cannot get it off without (almost) crashing.

I often hear of using nitrile gloves under bike gloves when it gets wet and cold. I have not tried that since hearing of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing IMLOU on Sunday as well. So far the plan is gloves/arm warmers/shoe covers. Will add knee covers if it’s going to be close to 50f for substantial portion of the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced in Louisville in similar temps, but no rain. I had a vest (tight) and arm warmers that I ditched at 2nd aid station (otherwise I wore normal gear -- no toe warmers, gloves, etc.). I agree with your assessment about being warm coming out of the water -- starting the bike warm is way different than starting cold and trying to warm up. You might not be quite as lucky with rain -- current forecast is +42% chance through noon, but that will change. Anyway, I would advise planning so that you can remove and toss (or pocket) the extra stuff when it is no longer needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:

instead of Duct Tape, try KT tape. A little easier to come off. Or Electrical tape -- much easier to come off if necessary (test to see if it completely stays on). I can imagine the duct tape being so sticky that you cannot get it off without (almost) crashing.

I often hear of using nitrile gloves under bike gloves when it gets wet and cold. I have not tried that since hearing of it.

Clear packing tape works great for this. Plus, it doesn't look ghetto since it's clear. Leave the back vents (if any) open.
Make a small 'tab' folded over itself in a corner, so if you want to remove it mid-ride, you have an easy way to grab it.

You can leave your swim cap on for the bike, if it's really cold and/or rainy.
Easy enough to remove later if it gets too warm.

Toe booties are a no-brainer. Plus more aero!

Full finger bike gloves. Might not keep your hands 'warm', but less cold might just be enough.
You could try something like SealSkinz for this too, as they're supposedly more waterproof.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't have much choice especially if it is raining. 2013 IM Lake Tahoe was 32 degrees and everyone had to do a full kit for the bike. Took 21 minutes in T1 since everyone was in the tent doing a full change with booties, warm jackets, etc. A few years ago during IM Arizona, it unexpectedly started raining and I ended up dropping out early on the run as I couldn't stop shaking. T2 was another mass of people trying to due a full kit change out of wet clothes. I unfortunately didn't expect rain and nothing to change into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing - I’m eating lots of doughnuts this week. I heard that additional body fat helps keep core temp warmer 😀
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the input. I was really expecting the response to be just man up and ride in your normal kit, which has been the direction I have been leaning, but now I am giving cold weather gear more serious thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience with how cold it has been in the past for the St. George Ironman?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing IMLOU as well. My first, and not particularly stressed about transition times, although I'd like to be relatively quick just for my psychology.

I am a skinny dude. 5'10" and 128lb race weight. I get cold easily.

I plan to wear my tri-suit under a full wetsuit. In T1, I will leave on the tri-suit, add arm warmers, and a tight fitting waterproof LG cycling jacket. There is some benefit that the jacket pockets can already be stocked with my nutrition, and whatever glove strategy I decide on. I have a pair of non-chamois tights I will pull over my tri-suit if the rain continues to look nasty. Toe covers are already on the shoes and I will wear wool socks (I typically go sock-less). I'll probably have some hand warmers taped to the bike frame or in the jacket pockets.

Hopeful the run can happen in just a tri-suit and arm warmers.

I am getting to LOU early Friday AM to scout the bike course. Friday AM and Saturday AM look similarly chilly, so I plan to test my clothing strategy then, perhaps just out of the practice swim for realism.

Note also you are probably looking at downtown Louisville weather depending on the site. Do the effects of an "urban heat jungle", they might be a little warm. I suggest you also see how things look over in La Grange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you finish. It’s impossible to KQ if you don’t cross that finish line.

Watch your power or hr. It’s really easy to push too hard trying to warm up.

Have a great race. Can’t wait to hear how it went.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
I am racing IMLV on Sunday and going for an AG podium, ideally KQ. To me, seconds matter...

The forecast is low of 45, high of 60 and rain. I am guessing I wont see 60 degrees on the bike, low to mid 50's is more realistic if that forecast holds. On a training ride, if it is below 60 and cloudy I am wearing arm warmers and maybe gloves. 50 and I am busting out the leg warmers. Rain will make it feel colder I am guessing.

Coming out of the swim in cooler temps I am usually just fine because I am warmed up and the adrenaline is pumping. I am gonna bring cold weather gear so I am prepared for anything, but I prefer not to take the time to put it on in transition or to take the aero penalty riding.

When I did the recent Placid 70.3, I used a kitchen trash bag and cut out a head and sleeves which worked PERFECTLY. Able to pull it out on the run and I could have pulled it out from under my tri-top at any point I needed on the bike, if I got warm, which I never did.

I would highly recommend it. The race winner did the same thing. Our transition times were very, very good since we didn't have to mess around with that particular issue.

Discussed here on prior LP thread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...id%2070%203#p6723167

I'd skip gloves and arm warmers as your core will be fine with the plastic bag. Use gloves, if needed, as it's quick and very warm. Hands have lots of nerves, forearm/upper arm-not so much.

And seconds do matter. GL in your race!
Dale
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Racing IMLOU on Sunday as well. So far the plan is gloves/arm warmers/shoe covers. Will add knee covers if it’s going to be close to 50f for substantial portion of the bike.

I'm doing IMLOU as well.

My problem is I don't have any cold gear as I don't train outdoors in the winter and in the summer it was hot and I didn't really need it. Will there be venders at which I can buy some warm weather gear? I would love to have some foot covers and some gloves - and perhaps arm warmers if possible. I generally do pretty well in the cold, but the feet and hands may be a problem.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second that on the kitchen trash bag under a tri top. I'm a beginner BOP who used it once in 52 F overcast weather. I ripped it out easily from my waist during the run just before the first water station. I heard of the tip from a relative who follows Heather Wurtele's blog.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking that there will be lots of folks at the race venue looking to buy cold weather gear. Either arrive early, or buy local and bring with you to the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced when it was low 50s and light rain in Switzerland. What worked very well for me was simply pulling a long sleeve, tight fitting base layer over the top of my tri suit. Tight enough to be aero, enough insulation to keep me warm, technical fabric that stayed warm when wet and dried out quickly when the rain stopped, and didn't cost me too much time in transition. Quite a few people went for rain jackets instead and regretted it - even the good ones tend to be a loose enough fit to flap around, and they don't breathe as well so you can easily overheat when you're at race intensities or if the temperatures rise during the bike leg.
Quote Reply

Prev Next