Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman
Quote | Reply
I am a 1st timer on a 70.3 race? Any advice on the Chattanooga 70.3 course/race and/or just for the 70.3 1st timer? My race is on 5/20/18.

Below is the summary of responses that i received to my question as of 5/14/18. Thanks to the members! : )
SUMMARY:
Downstream swim, rolling bike and a fair run. Very nice course all around with great fan support and plentiful stations. It's probably the easiest race from a logistical perspective (hotels/bars/restaurants/proximity).

SWIM:

• Get there super early
  • Swimming upstream wasn't bad
  • Swim closer to shore going upstream
  • Swim closer to the middle going down, take highest advantage of the flow
BIKE:

• Bike is faster than you expect
  • The roads are bumpy heading out of town
  • Be ready to lose your water bottles, especially during the 1st 2 miles
  • A short but fairly steep climb comes immediately after you make the left turn onto Andrews Ln
  • Course is open to traffic, so you could get caught before trucks
  • Get out there ASAP to not be held up by other cyclysts
RUN:

• The run is beautiful with just a few minor hills
  • It is well supported
  • A bit bumpy and can be hot
  • There is one gut-punch hill you do twice to get from the river up to the bridge
  • Running across the bridge a couple times is pretty freakin' cool
  • Views are great too. Pace yourself on the first 2 miles...mostly uphill and in the sun.
Places to eat:

• Public House - great for dinner
  • Urban Stack great for post race burgers and beers
  • Lupi's Pizza
  • Aretha Frankenstein's across the river for a funky post race breakfast experience.

Last edited by: Shawn F: May 14, 18 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [Shawn F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a great race and venue. Bike is faster than you expect. Run is well supported. The 300M up stream is faster than you expect. One of my favorite venues. I did the race in 2015 and 2016. Have a good race plan for HR or power and a solid nutrition plan is the best advice and enjoy the day.
Last edited by: Skolbe: May 10, 18 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There has been no recent rain, so the river flow should be normal. Last year, there were heavy rains and the flow was high, so they changed the swim for the non-pros to be a short down-river only swim.

The bike is very fast. The roads are bumpy heading out of town. I ejected all of my BTS bottles/nutrition in the first couple miles. Make sure you have tight BTS cages. There is one hill in the middle that shocked a few.

The run is beautiful with just a few minor hills. There is one gut-punch hill you do twice to get from the river up to the bridge. I walked it the 2nd time to preserve myself (I was running on empty with almost no calories the whole way).
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the run shaded? how are the aid stations, nutrition and porta potties?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is mixed-- maybe 30% shade and 70% exposed. The river walk area is in and out of shade. But, the main roads are open to the heavens.

The bike and run aid stations are plentiful and good.

I did not use an on-course porta potty, so I do not recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [Skolbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I did it those 2 years too. I loved it...until about mile 8 of the run each year. ;) The hills on the run are where you get the payback for the fast swim/bike. There's one short, steep hill that I literally powerwalked...wasn't worth the effort (for me) to run it. The bike is a bunch of rollers with a couple of climbs...no big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How was the 1st part of the swim, going against the current?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downstream swim, rolling bike and a fair run.

It's probably the easiest race from a logistical perspective (hotels/bars/restaurants/proximity).

Get there early to hop on the shuttle bus, line gets pretty long since it's a rolling start. Make sure your bottles are not prone to ejecting or the railroad tracks on the way out of town will do that for you.

Have fun, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [RBeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Don't they give you new bike bottles at the aid station? If so, is it one of those straight up or the curvy kind (like the picture)? My holder can keep the curvy ones in place pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year when the flow was so strong that they rerouted to be down-river only for AG racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawn F wrote:
Thanks. Don't they give you new bike bottles at the aid station? If so, is it one of those straight up or the curvy kind (like the picture)? My holder can keep the curvy ones in place pretty good.

You'll have to refer to the athlete guide when it comes out, if it's Gatorade, they are 'sportier' bottles, if it's water, then those are usually standard water bottle shape (my guess is a combination will be available). The tracks I'm referencing are within the first 2-3 miles of the bike, so if you can make it through that, you should be fine. I did it back in 2016 and didn't get that heads up, so I launched one. :)

Oh, and running across the bridge a couple times is pretty freakin' cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [RBeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their bottles will not stay in your cages. I know. I ejected my two BTA bottles with all my nutrition on the tracks. Then, I picked up Gatorade bottles at every stop that I promptly ejected. I figure I littered the course with 9 bottles. I should have spent the afternoon in the penalty box for littering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, keep the advice and things to watch for coming. :)

How was the swim upstream?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - Swim upstream wasn't bad. As I recall the locals said swim closer to shore going upstream and closer to the middle going down,take highest advantage of the flow.

I recommend getting there super early, I was in the first 30 seconds in 2016. Doesn't make so much of a difference on the swim (although I'd rather wait more before the start than after it), but the bike course is open to traffic so the sooner you get out there with fewer cyclists the better. I had one point I didn't see anyone ahead or behind me. That changed after the first "climb" when the first peloton went by (drafting sucks there....) and with cars in the road, not being able to pass the packs, everything slows down. I ended up behind large trucks twice I couldn't pass and had to slow down.

Run - it's a bit bumpy and can be hot but is a great course IMO.

Eats
-Public House - great for dinner
-Urban Stack great for post race burgers and beers
-Lupi's Pizza
-Aretha Frankenstein's across the river for a funky post race breakfast experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t get dropped
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - get there early...hang out in line near the swim start. They play good music and chill with fellow competitors. Up stream is no problem. Go out strong in the first 400-500m and then settle in to a nice downstream, clean water coast.

Bike - put some solid rubber bands on your extensions in front of your BTA setup or if you use a rear bottle setup, thread some big rubberbands on there. Loop them around your bottles so they don't eject. I did not loose one last year (unless I wanted to toss it). It is a failsafe for sure. The course = best in the business (IMO). Couple rollers, steep granny climb when you make the left onto Andrews Lane, but money after that. Hammer away in the first 20 miles and last 15.

Run - great aid stations, fantastic fan support. It can get hot...but the views are great too. Pace yourself on the first 2 miles...mostly uphill and in the sun. I always felt running the pedestrian bridge was a tough part...humid, uphill, and a kick in the ass. The good news is, its downhill to the finish on the second loop.

Overall, great course. Great town as well. Enjoy the food, walking amenities, and beers.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawn F wrote:
I am a 1st timer on a 70.3 race? Any advice on the Chattanooga 70.3 course/race and/or just for the 70.3 1st timer? My race is on 5/20/18.

That was my first 70.3 as well. Great course and venue. Easy swim. Even first upstream part wasn’t bad. Bike course is rollers with a short steep climb in the middle. But it’s short and then it’s over. Run has short steep climb out of transition then a couple other medium/mild longer climbs but nothing terrible. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A short but fairly steep climb comes immediately after you make the left turn onto Andrews Ln. Be prepared to get into the small front ring. It's nothing terrible but irritating if you aren't expecting it.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean "dropped"?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Chattanooga 70.3 Ironman [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! How is the visibility in the water and how is the buoy sighting? Are you facing the sun and losing the buoy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t recall any sighting or sun issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Is the water clear or muddy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Don’t recall -clear-ish I think
2. Don’t overthink this ;-)
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 11, 18 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you kidding... as a 1st timer, this has been the only thing I have been thinking (stressing) about for the past 4 months. But with all the insights and advice that that I have revived, I am feeling much better. :) Now i just need to do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha been there totally done that. Just remember though the thing that will go wrong (and something probably will) will be something you never even thought (worried) about.

Good luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next