Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice Needed - Hernias and training
Quote | Reply
Help!

I was diagnosed with a hernia last week, and I'm hoping my season isn't over before even really getting started.

Anyone else out there go throught this experience?

How long is the post-surgery recoup period?

Can I train/race and just forget about the surgery for now?

Thanks!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed - Hernias and training [smlorkis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had two inguinal hernias...left and right. My advice is to have your hernia surgically repaired ASAP. It is not safe to train or race with hernias, since you run the risk of intestinal strangulation...this is what my surgeon told me. You recovery period will be 4-6 weeks...plan on six...you don't ever want to go through the procedure again. Take your time and make the most of your recovery time...it's better to go slow...I know it is disappointing, but use your recovery and rebuild time as a springboard for next season. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think recovery time can vary a lot, depending on what type of hernia you have, and what type of procedure you have to fix it. I had the old-fashioned mesh screen put in right about my beltline for a hernia I had maybe 8 years ago. I was back to playing golf in about 10 days and back to 100 percent within a month. Absolutely get the surgery as soon as possible, get it behind you, and look forward to the rest of your year. It's only June 2, you'll be good as new (or close to it) by the 4th of July and have a lot of season left.

Good luck. It's really not a big deal.

Big EE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same procedure as Big EE last year. In ten days I went out for a 60 mile ride, and got back in the training routine pretty fast. I actually raced with it prior to the surgery, but transitioning from bike to run hurt like blazes. It was called, I believe, laproscopic surgery. Really small incisions, although you're bruised up pretty good. Talk to the doc, and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a hernia operation in November of last year. Why the hell I let someone go near my genitals with a sharp object on Friday the 13th is still beyond me. Anyway, it took me about 2 weeks before I could resume training but of course the triathlon season was over for me at that time.

I concur with what someone else posted, I never, ever want to go through that experience again.

At least it'll be good training for your mental toughness. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by a doctor that I may have a left linguinal hernia. I see a surgeon on Monday. I went to several medical internet sites, Lap-Hernia.com being a very good one, and found out that the laperesticotomy--mispelled, is done today and takes 2 weeks to recover if you are healthy. The old mesh method took 1-2 months. I sure as hell hope that it is not a hernia, as I don't need to take 2-4 weeks off with an Ironman in 4 months and a week. But, if the surgeon says operate now instead of post race b/c of the intestinal strangulation, I will have to do it and make up for 3 weeks of lounging.

Go Big Red
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott

Standard disclaimer about not taking advice from unknown people on the internet.

Recovery time will depend on what type of hernia you have and the method your surgeon uses to repair it - There are a number of different methods which can be used. The bottom line though is that it will not get better on its own and you need to get it fixed to avoid potentially serious complications

I had a double inguinal repaired in November by laparoscopic surgery - I was very sore for a few days because they pump gas into your abdomen so that can see what they are doing - but I was back on my bike for easy rides within 10 days.

I spoke to someone else recently who had the same thing repaired using the technique described in the link http://www.hernia.org/ his recovery time was quicker and had the benefit of not needing a general anaesthetic.

Good Luck

Pete
Quote Reply