Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice Needed-Delta bike damage international
Quote | Reply
Looking for some people who have been-there, done that with having a bike damaged.

On the way to 70.3 Worlds in Sept, I flew from my home state -> SLC -> SFO on one Delta itinerary then SFO-> AMS -> BCN on another Delta itinerary. Bike was automatically shuffled in SFO to the next plane. Bike arrived in Barcelona a day and a half after I did (got stuck in AMS) and was delivered to my hotel. Next morning, I flew to Nice and was most of the way through the build when I saw the underside of the seatstay was cracked. Failed quarter test, carbon was squishy, etc. I got a rental bike and started the go-around with Delta.

To date, I have received $1542 from them-the maximum liability for an international flight. However, being that they cannot prove it was damaged on the international flight, I am asking for the full $3500 as I had a domestic itinerary and it could have been damaged then. Delta is insisting that "intent of travel [that weekend] was international" (true) but regardless, they have no proof the bike was harmed on the international flight.

Other:
Plane ticket was purchased with Visa debit card (Wells Fargo), not a credit card
I REALLY prefer not to put it on my homeowners as I know they only accept so many claims.
Exterior of bike box was fine, inside had holes in it, showing that it had been squished against another hard object.
Have pre-flight pictures showing the bag was adequately packed.
Have receipts putting bike cost and rental bike fees at well over $3500.
I just submit an inquiry/complaint to Department of Transportation.

Anything I am missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed-Delta bike damage international [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it is highly unlikely that you will get another dollar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should feel very lucky that you got any money. It sucks to have a broken bike, but they are surely coming your way.

fate wrote:
Looking for some people who have been-there, done that with having a bike damaged.

On the way to 70.3 Worlds in Sept, I flew from my home state -> SLC -> SFO on one Delta itinerary then SFO-> AMS -> BCN on another Delta itinerary. Bike was automatically shuffled in SFO to the next plane. Bike arrived in Barcelona a day and a half after I did (got stuck in AMS) and was delivered to my hotel. Next morning, I flew to Nice and was most of the way through the build when I saw the underside of the seatstay was cracked. Failed quarter test, carbon was squishy, etc. I got a rental bike and started the go-around with Delta.

To date, I have received $1542 from them-the maximum liability for an international flight. However, being that they cannot prove it was damaged on the international flight, I am asking for the full $3500 as I had a domestic itinerary and it could have been damaged then. Delta is insisting that "intent of travel [that weekend] was international" (true) but regardless, they have no proof the bike was harmed on the international flight.

Other:
Plane ticket was purchased with Visa debit card (Wells Fargo), not a credit card
I REALLY prefer not to put it on my homeowners as I know they only accept so many claims.
Exterior of bike box was fine, inside had holes in it, showing that it had been squished against another hard object.
Have pre-flight pictures showing the bag was adequately packed.
Have receipts putting bike cost and rental bike fees at well over $3500.
I just submit an inquiry/complaint to Department of Transportation.

Anything I am missing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's their max liability for domestic travel? I can't imagine it's more than international...

$1500 should be more than enough to get the frame repaired and then some. That's assuming you can't just get a new frame.

Strava
Quote Reply