Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adult onset swim video critique - quest for Kona
Quote | Reply
Take a look and let me know what 2-3 things I should focus on. My goal is to get back to Kona, to do so I need to improve my swim.

Background:
- Long-time triathlete adult onset swimmer
- Avg. yardage per week 7-10k
- Swim 2-3X per week, there aren't any good masters programs that work for my schedule :-(
- Sendoff is 1:40 to 1:35 hitting the wall around 1:25 SCY
- HIM 33 & IM 1:08

Ultimately, I want to get below 30 mins for HIM

The video is from a swim spa. I captured a number of different angles with ~20s of footage for each view.

Any drill recommendations would be helpful.

Quote Reply
Re: Adult onset swim video critique - quest for Kona [chrsc13981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but it looks like you are pulling straight down.
Quote Reply
Re: Adult onset swim video critique - quest for Kona [chrsc13981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • Right arm moves outwards at front extension, rather than staying in front of the shoulder and pulling straight from there
  • Right shoulder needs some flexibility work to help front extension
  • Left arm first pulls outward, then in towards waist (s-stroke) rather than pulling in a straight line
  • Left arm reaches downward, rather than at the surface before pull
  • Legs splaying (a symptom of arms not staying in the same plane during the catch/pull)
  • Legs dragging too deeply (need to engage back/glutes/hamstrings to keep legs up)
  • Head a little too low (waterline closer to eyebrows, but need to fix leg drag first)
  • Raising head to breathe, rather than having it follow your shoulder turn (the chin should be "attached" to the shoulder when breathing)
  • Very little early vertical forearm (EVF), results in loss of propulsion

Priority items in bold. Getting your pull in more of a straight line will help eliminate the leg splay (which is a symptom of other problems, not a problem you fix by itself).

Other than the above, not bad. :-)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Adult onset swim video critique - quest for Kona [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest watching YouTube Tower 26

What is your stroke cadence?
Last edited by: RBR: Aug 24, 18 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrsc13981 wrote:
Take a look and let me know what 2-3 things I should focus on. My goal is to get back to Kona, to do so I need to improve my swim.

Background:
- Long-time triathlete adult onset swimmer
- Avg. yardage per week 7-10k
- Swim 2-3X per week, there aren't any good masters programs that work for my schedule :-(
- Sendoff is 1:40 to 1:35 hitting the wall around 1:25 SCY
- HIM 33 & IM 1:08

If I can give you any tip it would be to increase the bolded part, and work the schedule around the masters!!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- you over rotate your hip to the left (your breathing side) and under rotate on the right

- Your shoulder is dropped on your pull arm, which is why you are losing leverage and not pulling straight, and splaying legs, etc

- single arm drill, start with both arms extended in front, start pull (either side) by initiating catch by dropping finger tips, hand, and forearm while rotating the pull shoulder slightly up, and pushing opposite hip slightly down, pull/push in a straight line along your body line while extending opposite shoulder and arm. Complete the “push” to full extension, then lift elbow to raise arm for “recovery” phase. As you start recovery you should rotate hips back towards neutral, reaching neutral by the time your recovery arm gets to your head (this is the point in a regular swim you would begin the same process on the opposite arm) for the single arm drill, continue the recovery arm to entry into the water, make sure you have rotated the body to full neutral position, and repeat.
The purpose of this drill is to master body position and rotation

- When you can do single arm effectively, transition to a catch up drill, exactly as above, but alternate “single arm” each stroke

- When your effective with catch up, you can remove the “delay” at neutral, and begin each stoke at the point you have completed your rotation back to neutral, which is about when the hand on your recovery arm reaches your head. Effective swimming (distance) is all about completing one stroke at a time, efficiently, and with proper rthym and timing

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Adult onset swim video critique - quest for Kona [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He didn't understand anything that you just said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Cody Beals advice. Stroke analysis (especially by slowtwitch) is not the way to go and drills are a waste of time. Swim more and with a group if you can. To reference Brett Sutton too 'drills are for dentists.'

I'm not a great swimmer by any means and everyone can critique you hand this, elbow that and it is nice to be aware of a few things you can improve, I generally concentrate on one at a time but as a poor/weaker swimmer my hand is often doing that for a reason that I don't have the strength and then endurance to maintain what my fault is and my hand returns to path of less resistance. It is with swimming more and potentially harder with a group best gains are made IMHO.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Re%3A_Ask_Me_Anything%3A_Debut_Win_8%3A10_Course_Record_at_IMMT!_%5BSteveM%5D_P6713868/#p6713868
Quote Reply