Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adjust goal watts/HR based on drop in elevation from home to race venue?
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I am in a situation unlike most of you; I usually drop down, not up, in elevation to race. I live and train at 6,700 feet (Durango CO) or higher and in July I am registered for IMCanada which takes place at about 3,000 feet or lower. Should I be adding watts/hr to my goal paces to accommodate the lower elevation? I have never physically noticed the difference when working out at lower elevation/with more oxygen, but that doesn't mean its not having an impact on me. And in case it matters, I will be spending about 4 days prior to the race at lower elevations on my drive to the race, most at around 3,000 feet but at least 24-36 hours at sea level.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Adjust goal watts/HR based on drop in elevation from home to race venue? [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
Hello all,

I am in a situation unlike most of you; I usually drop down, not up, in elevation to race. I live and train at 6,700 feet (Durango CO) or higher and in July I am registered for IMCanada which takes place at about 3,000 feet or lower. Should I be adding watts/hr to my goal paces to accommodate the lower elevation? I have never physically noticed the difference when working out at lower elevation/with more oxygen, but that doesn't mean its not having an impact on me. And in case it matters, I will be spending about 4 days prior to the race at lower elevations on my drive to the race, most at around 3,000 feet but at least 24-36 hours at sea level.

Any thoughts?

What's your experience level? First or tenth IM? How strong of a cyclist are you? You are probably used to the hills being from CO but IMC is a tough course with lots of climbing. Coming from 3000' to sea level might gain you 3-5% but most people will over bike this course as well. If I was in your position, I would use my 3000' power targets and worst case you have some extra for the run. That being said, I am not after a KQ or AG win and only competing against my own times/expectations. YMMV

Good Luck in Whistler! I'll be there for the 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Adjust goal watts/HR based on drop in elevation from home to race venue? [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race by HR. If what you believe to be holds true, then you'll be able to make more power/push more watts at the same HR that you normally train at. If it doesn't end up being that significant of a difference, then you still stayed on target and have set yourself up for a solid run.
Quote Reply