Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adapted Training Plan IM TX: Advice on how to modify training when race day gets pushed 6 months
Quote | Reply
Looking for advice on how to best modify my training for the new date of IM TX (10/17).

I had been preparing to race IM TX on 4/26 as was originally scheduled, until everything shut down here in TX on 3/16. Since then, I have been in maintenance mode: biking 60-75% of prior volume, running 50%, and swimming 0%. I haven't been following any regimen other than to get 60-90 minutes of exercise each day, and it has been a nice mental break from structured training.

My question is what is the best approach to training for the new date now that we're 6months out?

Should I pick up my old plan, and start 24 weeks out and retread the same path as before (with possibly more high intensity sessions)? Use a shorter timeline? Swimming is likely the x-factor here, as I am not 100% sure when I'll have access to a pool (possibly 'mid-may')

Should I take a completely different approach?

Personal background:
M 32
Qly: 2H30m
70.3: 5H10m
Generally felt good completing peak weeks of training prior to shutdown (weekly volume: bike~8hrs, run~4hrs, swim~3hrs)
Quote Reply
Re: Adapted Training Plan IM TX: Advice on how to modify training when race day gets pushed 6 months [chitri12345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go back 6 months for the original date (4/26) and do what you were doing then
Quote Reply
Re: Adapted Training Plan IM TX: Advice on how to modify training when race day gets pushed 6 months [chitri12345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Six months out means you have time to rerun your entire training cycling again, so I would just go back in your plan 6 months and go from there. Although I would probably include more strength (specfically band work) to try and simulate swimming (or at least keep those muscles working) until you can swim again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on maintaining a base with the ability to run 10-12 / bike 50-60 at any point and then pick up my training plan 16 weeks out. Using May / June mainly to build power on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Adapted Training Plan IM TX: Advice on how to modify training when race day gets pushed 6 months [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You likely have built a solid base, so use that and hit the reset button....toggle back 6-months and GO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take a different approach vs everyone that's saying go back and do it over.

You've been given a (hopefully) once in an athletic career opportunity where you don't have to worry about 1/3 of the sports. Why not figure out a way, or hire someone who can that for you, to elevate your riding and running to levels far superior to where they're at now?

If you're in ok fitness you need 8-12 weeks of specific prep for an IM. If you're in really good fitness you could successfully get by with 6-8.

See what I mean?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply