Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months
Quote | Reply
It wasn't working for me. Initially, I felt it worked well, but over time I realized I was hungry all the time especially in the evening. I have recently gone back to eating a portion of meat at dinner with no meat for breakfast or lunch. I find it helps balance cravings so much better. I actually think its a healthier diet in the long term for me. I think a plant based diet can work for some, but for me I actually started to gain weight and yo-yo a lot. I found myself binge eating healthy foods, but I realized something was off. I did not experience low energy, but overall it wasn't optimal for me. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I feel a lot happier to have flexibility in my diet especially when travel is involved.
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I am better balanced and have fewer cravings when I have a serving of animal protein or two and a lot of vegetables. I do better with low to moderate carbohydrates than moderate to high and better moderate fat that particularly high or low. Goes to show that very few if anyone dietary suggestions are correct for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, binge eating is a sign you're not getting enough of something. Your body can't take it anymore and super-compensates for it, then barely manages to keep things together until it happens again. It's like a teenager learning to drive; they accelerate too hard and then slam on the brakes over and over again until they figure out how to "middle path" the accelerator better.

Came back to edit/add that plant-based can also be a lot lower in fat and sodium, both of which will make you feel hungry and tired if you don't get enough of them.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Dec 1, 19 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Yeah, binge eating is a sign you're not getting enough of something. Your body can't take it anymore and super-compensates for it, then barely manages to keep things together until it happens again. It's like a teenager learning to drive; they accelerate too hard and then slam on the brakes over and over again until they figure out how to "middle path" the accelerator better.

Came back to edit/add that plant-based can also be a lot lower in fat and sodium, both of which will make you feel hungry and tired if you don't get enough of them.

I agree that the binges indicated that my body was missing certain nutrients and was overcompensating for it. It became pretty miserable at the end as there were times I was just dying to eat between meals. I'm going for balance and sustainability from here out. I really question the sustainability of a plant based diet. Toward the end I was actually putting on weight. It didn't work for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't carb up enough. Fill your rice cooker to the brim and add veggies and beans. Guaranteed you won't still be hungry in the evenings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean sustainability for you? I think it's a leap to question the sustainability of a plant based diet in general. If you were missing something then that is due to what you personally ate, n=1.

Logically you could do something like keep a food diary and then try and identify what you were missing. But a well balanced plant based diet would be able to provide whatever it was that was missing.

It can certainly be harder, no doubt about that. For instance you might need to think about combinations of foods to provide all the essential amino acids as opposed to just choosing something non-plant that is complete in itself. But it's a perfectly viable diet choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been plant based last 8 weeks with some dairy at times and fish occasionally. No meat or poultry.

I found myself Hungry about 2pm with crash feeling.. I found I was not eating enough fats. So added avocado and nuts at about 2 and have felt fine even through workouts. I eat 3 meals a day but really eat a little all the time.
Last edited by: scca_ita: Dec 1, 19 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Didn't carb up enough. Fill your rice cooker to the brim and add veggies and beans. Guaranteed you won't still be hungry in the evenings.

A rice cooker has 2-3000 calories of rice in it filled up. You won't be hungry because your body will be busy churning out new fat cells and as much insulin as your pancreas can muster. Health.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Plant based can be high in fat and sodium if you allow processed foods. Maybe you meant whole foods diet, where essentially oils are eliminated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on a plant based diet as well and it's been fine. cows eat plants, I eat cows. cow meat is plant based. I'm happy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
It wasn't working for me.

That's because stake taste awesome

I have two rib-eye's that I dry aged for 30 days I'm going to cook tonight and top off with a black garlic butter that I made and an awesome Cabernet. Oh yea I will eat some asparagus because so I can post on ST and not offend the plant eaters
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cultures whose diet is based around rice are full of lean, healthy people.
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Cultures whose diet is based around rice are full of lean, healthy people.

There is no indigenous rice-based culture that did not assign significant importance to obtaining meat-based protein.
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I was referring to the idea that you get fat by eating rice.
They eat a lot of rice, a lot of vegetables, and a little meat. That is it. Do that, and be healthy forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, but I suspect that the not getting fat part is due to other cultural factors, especially having very little processed sugar in their diets. As cheap sugar-laden foods become widely available, I expect that they will (unfortunately) go the same way as Western populations.
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plant-based can include meat. It's not vegetarian or vegan. It means you eat mainly plants with some portions of meat thrown in - sort of like 'mostly vegetarian'. When I need to cut weight, I'll switch to plant-based with occasional chicken or fish. Otherwise, I'll include meat with many meals.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MonkeyClaw wrote:
Plant-based can include meat. It's not vegetarian or vegan. It means you eat mainly plants with some portions of meat thrown in - sort of like 'mostly vegetarian'. When I need to cut weight, I'll switch to plant-based with occasional chicken or fish. Otherwise, I'll include meat with many meals.

This x100.

I don't know what happened, but for some reason people think a plant based diet doesn't include meat when it just doesn't include meat as the main ingredient. Instead it's used as a side or a supplemental item.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly hear 'plant based' when people Do mean vegan diet (no dairy, meats, eggs, honey etc) , but for 'health reasons', I. E. Not alongside the whole vegan ethos of no leather, wool, glues, beeswax etc.

I'm more towards meat based with some veg. My digestive system is much happier than when I have been veggie and vegan for long periods of time (years). The big issue for me I think was the amount of grains, I'm not coeliac, but wheat and oats really don't agree with me.
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
I have been plant based last 8 weeks with some dairy at times and fish occasionally. No meat or poultry.

Hmmmm that's a classic!
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
I mostly hear 'plant based' when people Do mean vegan diet (no dairy, meats, eggs, honey etc) , but for 'health reasons', I. E. Not alongside the whole vegan ethos of no leather, wool, glues, beeswax etc.

I'm more towards meat based with some veg. My digestive system is much happier than when I have been veggie and vegan for long periods of time (years). The big issue for me I think was the amount of grains, I'm not coeliac, but wheat and oats really don't agree with me.

I suppose technically it's been a vegan diet. Would it still be plant based, if I'm eating meat at dinner, once daily? Maybe so? I've also heard of the term flexitarian. I'm not sure if only eating meat once daily in the evening would still be plant based or just a normal diet?
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:

99% of the time the term "plant-based" means vegan or vegetarian. It refers to the diet, not the whole vegan ethos.

If "plant-based" meant mostly plants, almost all of us would be plant-based. The carnivores like to point this out.

How I hope this board doesn't get invaded by the carnivore diet people. They're more loopy than the vegans and much grumpier.
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
It wasn't working for me.

That's because stake taste awesome

I have two rib-eye's that I dry aged for 30 days I'm going to cook tonight and top off with a black garlic butter that I made and an awesome Cabernet. Oh yea I will eat some asparagus because so I can post on ST and not offend the plant eaters

Literally the only people who ever get cry-baby-y about this are the "I eat steak bro" types who like to pretend that people get insulted when they talk about enjoying a burger. Nooobody cares man. It's just a steak.

Go ahead and enjoy it, sorry it makes you feel insecure that I don't want to. Try not to think so much about it, you'll enjoy it even more.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Dec 3, 19 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: Abandoned Plant Based Diet After 6 Months [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MonkeyClaw wrote:

This might be very unpopular, however true it is.

I love these dumpster fire nutrition threads. When will WE ALL learn that nutrition is N=1! What works for y'all might not, probably WILL NOT work for me...or someone else. So we watch a YouTube video of whatever pro athlete and try to emulate their diet like it will magically drop your bodyfat and times like a rock.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

I suppose technically it's been a vegan diet. Would it still be plant based, if I'm eating meat at dinner, once daily? Maybe so? I've also heard of the term flexitarian. I'm not sure if only eating meat once daily in the evening would still be plant based or just a normal diet?

This is absurd. Why do we need to label everything? Why not just eat how you like, don't "call" it anything, and leave it at that?

For what it's worth I occasionally attempt to eat "vegetarian" but there is definitely something about my body makeup that isn't compatible with it. I have tried all the appropriate "tricks" that vegetarians say to try but invariably by the end of a week of it, I am run down, feeling like crap, and training like crap. I have found my meat consumption can be greatly reduced from what I usually do and still feel good and train well. However without any meat at all, I cannot function well much past a week.

I have stopped trying since it was only an experiment to see if there was anything to the idea that it's a "better" diet for endurance performance. Maybe for some it works well. I can tell for certain I am not one of those. Fortunately I don't have any "food hangups" surrounding meat or whatever, so I can go about my life just fine knowing I gave it a shot and learned it wasn't for me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next