Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A new contender has arrived..... (female pro)
Quote | Reply
Easy to miss on this north-american dominated forum ;)

Em Loughnan, over-all AG winner at 2017 Kona IMWC, has finally taken her pro license and had her debut pro race at Busso 70.3 yesterday. The race (biggest in the southern hemisphere) was a shocker in terms of weather - a massive storm front hit a few hours before the race leading to a cancelled swim (replaced by an extra 3km run leg). Em, is a strong swimmer and would have been disadvantaged by that. She was gapped in the first half of the bike and then almost closed that gap on her own in the second half of the bike. Ran a race-best run split and won by four minutes over Sarah Crowley (third pro woman at kona '17) with superstar Liz Blatchford 8 minutes back in fourth. The first three pro women (including Em) were all DQ'd as the bike official leading the women's race had them turn 100m short on the first lap of the run - didn't affect the end result but Liz was awarded the win. Despite the official result being a DQ everyone present knew who the deserving winner was. She is due to race her first pro full-distance event in Austria on July 1.

one to watch.....
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [gazman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'The race (biggest in the southern hemisphere)'

Interested in what you mean by that? Busso 70.3 hardly a big race. Biggest in WA?
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hardly a big race?!?
have you ever done it?

I'm not sure how its measured but it is something that is regularly boasted in the event promotion and has been for years. I assumed it was most competitors but I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the windiest race I had ever done. I had an Aeolus 7 on the front and couldn’t lay my hands up over each other on the bars, actually had to hold the tri bars. So many just holding the bull horns. So many were struggling with older deep wheels too that were being blown around.
I wonder how Liz feels being awarded the win. Em was fantastic good to see a local freo girl take the win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the event promoters might be 'guilding the lilly' a little with that claim. It's not the biggest in the southern hemisphere.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.....and down in Australia we missed out on a race that was a short draft fest that had you guys moaning on here for weeks and resulted in ratified "Brand" world record (WTF is that anyway?)

yeah you missed a world-class performance but never mind, go back to your self-centred (yep, that's the correct spelling) world view and see how many kona champions you've produced in the last 2 decades
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had she won legit, she's still only the second biggest female 70.3 breakthrough in the Commonwealth this weekend, with Paula Findlay winning St George against Kessler, Kaye, Wurtele, True, McQuaid, and all...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was born 30 min from Busselton so I am well aware of the race. Numbers may be high as there are two Ironman races in WA a year but based on the depth of pro fields I wouldn't call it a big race. I'm taking nothing away from her ability and achievement but found your boasting of it being a the biggest in the southern hemisphere a bit of an exaggeration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bozzone had a cracker biked 1:58 record in that weather and gapped the field by 10mins into t2. He had had a great season
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, until she wins something real, don’t be touting her as the next Chrissie. So are you too dating? Pic of her on your training wall? What’s the connection?

windschatten wrote:
gazman wrote:

Em Loughnan, over-all AG winner at 2017 Kona IMWC, has finally taken her pro license and had her debut pro race at Busso 70.3 yesterday. The race (biggest in the southern hemisphere) was a shocker in terms of weather - a massive storm front hit a few hours before the race leading to a cancelled swim (replaced by an extra 3km run leg). Em, is a strong swimmer and would have been disadvantaged by that. She was gapped in the first half of the bike and then almost closed that gap on her own in the second half of the bike. Ran a race-best run split and won by four minutes over Sarah Crowley (third pro woman at kona '17) with superstar Liz Blatchford 8 minutes back in fourth. The first three pro women (including Em) were all DQ'd as the bike official leading the women's race had them turn 100m short on the first lap of the run - didn't affect the end result but Liz was awarded the win. Despite the official result being a DQ everyone present knew who the deserving winner was. She is due to race her first pro full-distance event in Austria on July 1.

one to watch.....

So we missed a Duathlon somewhere that was won by somebody who came in 4th, and you are fond of one of the DQ'd women.

Got it. We missed out big time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazman wrote:

one to watch.....

This is where triathlon rules are screwed up. When athletes follow the instructions of designated course officials, then get DQd because the race officials made a mistake, not them, that is complete horseshit. Then they turn around and blame the athletes for not following the designated course and tell them it's their responsibility to know the course, yadda, yadda, yadda. So did the race director turn in his resignation? Did Ironman issue an apology for improperly instructing the bike official? Doubtful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I was born 30 min from Busselton so I am well aware of the race. Numbers may be high as there are two Ironman races in WA a year but based on the depth of pro fields I wouldn't call it a big race. I'm taking nothing away from her ability and achievement but found your boasting of it being a the biggest in the southern hemisphere a bit of an exaggeration.

Busselton 70.3 promotes itself as the biggest 70.3 in the Southern hemisphere. There are usually 1700+ individuals and 400+ team members.

So in terms of size of the AG field it is the biggest 70.3 in the Southern hemisphere.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
gazman wrote:

one to watch.....

This is where triathlon rules are screwed up. When athletes follow the instructions of designated course officials, then get DQd because the race officials made a mistake, not them, that is complete horseshit. Then they turn around and blame the athletes for not following the designated course and tell them it's their responsibility to know the course, yadda, yadda, yadda. So did the race director turn in his resignation? Did Ironman issue an apology for improperly instructing the bike official? Doubtful.

There are always two sides to a story:
"The girls turned 100m short of the far end of the run course ,despite being able to see the turn as it was marked with cones timing mats cameras and barriers.
The lead cyclist turned early to get out of their way and they followed him.They were told to go back but ignored the instructions.
Nobody else including torrenzo who was well in front of them made the same mistake and his lead cyclist did the same.
You could see the bloddy turn from where they were.
"
Last edited by: Ironnerd: May 7, 18 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is very important information that was not conveyed above. Yep, I would have to agree they should have been DQd. And knowing this, the 4th place women moved to 1st has no reason to feel bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch : where you can get your daily slice of bullying pie for breakfast.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which would be Liz Blatchford pocketing a cool 25k for 4th!
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So she’s a cheater as well? Yikes

Ironnerd wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
gazman wrote:

one to watch.....

There are always two sides to a story:
"The girls turned 100m short of the far end of the run course ,despite being able to see the turn as it was marked with cones timing mats cameras and barriers.
The lead cyclist turned early to get out of their way and they followed him.They were told to go back but ignored the instructions.
Nobody else including torrenzo who was well in front of them made the same mistake and his lead cyclist did the same.
You could see the bloddy turn from where they were.
"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazman wrote:
The first three pro women (including Em) were all DQ'd as the bike official leading the women's race had them turn 100m short on the first lap of the run - didn't affect the end result but Liz was awarded the win. .

Per Ironman rules the lead bikes aren't supposed to be lead bikes anymore... they are supposed to stay behind the athletes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
It was the windiest race I had ever done. I had an Aeolus 7 on the front and couldn’t lay my hands up over each other on the bars, actually had to hold the tri bars. So many just holding the bull horns. So many were struggling with older deep wheels too that were being blown around.
I wonder how Liz feels being awarded the win. Em was fantastic good to see a local freo girl take the win!

Yeah it was pretty windy. I don't know why, but I've never had a problem in the wind with deep dish wheels. 72kg, riding a disc and 808 at the front. There was only a small 3km section on layman road where there was an open cross-wind that I got any movement and even that was marginal.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, tough crowd. I'll think twice before posting in this forum in future. But I do feel compelled (no idea why) to set a few things straight before I sit this one out;

1. The only point I was making is that Emily had a good pro debut and might be one to watch in the future. I thought we were interested in form guides here. Not for a second am I suggesting she is the next Chrissy. Remember, the overall AG world champ from 2016, took everyone by surprise by coming second in kona 2017. There was a whole thread on here about the male AG winner post kona.

2. I couldn't really care less if busso really is the biggest race in the southern hemisphere or not. It's the race promoter's words and I accepted it. Just mentioned it to highlight that this wasn't just a local car park gathering.

3. It's amazing how being ill-informed doesn't stop people from posting. I happen to know the lead cyclists of both the men's and women's race. They were both kids - a 15 and 16 yr old who are the respective national triathlon champions in their age groups (I guess race organisers thought they had enough experience being elite triathletes themselves). The male cyclist said he very nearly made the same mistake as there was a cul-de-sac at the end of the path with three large cones which made it look like the turning point - you could NOT see the actual turn from that point due to the lie of the land. The lead cyclist from the women's race was a girl - so even that part of the statement "followed him" was blatantly wrong. Facts still matter in most parts of the world.

4. Did I mention this all totally misses the point - she had an impressive, competitive debut.

5. Her FB page post-race reads: "It wasn’t quite the fairytale finish I had hoped for. It is with great respect for the race rules and technical officials that I acknowledge today’s outcome. I am disappointed but I have taken so much positivity from today’s performance." I'm pretty sure you were only joking but be very careful before labeling someone a cheater.

6. Yeah, I'm a guy who has a lot of positives to say about a girl, so we must be dating right? Emily is a close friend and training buddy who is a bloody impressive athlete. Just giving her the kudos she deserves. There is a photo of her on my FB page (trolls) because we've teamed up as a mixed pair in Swimrun racing.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gazman wrote:
The first three pro women (including Em) were all DQ'd as the bike official leading the women's race had them turn 100m short on the first lap of the run - didn't affect the end result but Liz was awarded the win. .

Per Ironman rules the lead bikes aren't supposed to be lead bikes anymore... they are supposed to stay behind the athletes.
It certainly seems like that would have prevented the problem. Not a great week for Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gazman wrote:

It certainly seems like that would have prevented the problem. Not a great week for Ironman.
As misleading as it may have been regardless it is up to the athlete to know the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely agree with that. And even if the natural tendency is to blindly follow the bike, surely experienced triathletes would find it odd to do a u-turn where there was no cone or timing mat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

High profile and iconic perhaps? I can't think of a better swim than round the jetty on a clear, flat day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next