Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A little medical advice . . .
Quote | Reply
I posed a question last week about whether or not to race the half GFT this weekend because my long training has basically fallen apart since October rolled around. Well, I have decided to do the race. No expectations, no time goals, nothing -- just show up and play it by ear. However, another wrench has been thrown into the mix. Last weekend, I developed a minor cold. Hasn't been bad, and I actually feel very good with the exception of a scratchy throat. I thought about getting some antibiotics but I researched the forum and since reading those posts, I have decided against that. Just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this. I feel fine -- not tired, not sore, no fever (haven't had a fever all week), sleeping well, good appetite. Just wondering if I need to do anything in particular between now and the race, and if there's anything special I should do on race day. And what should I expect after the race?

RP
Quote Reply
Re: A little medical advice . . . [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too ran into a very similar situation a couple of years ago (before a marathon not tri). felt fine, but a sore scratchy throat and dry cough. I carried cough drops in my pocket to use throughout the race. seemed to help keep the "cotton mouth" down ran well no P.R. but very respectable. good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditto on not taking the antibiotics--for now. i don't usually give a patient antibiotics for a cold or cough unless it's been more than 2 weeks, or there's a fever, or there's a significant increase or change in character of secretions. from my experience as a racer, however, do expect to not perform very well. i did an oly with a cold and sore throat, too. had my training nailed down but i was just flat the whole day. well, you said you just wanted to finish so i guess it's not such a big concern for you. also, don't be surprised if racing prolongs you're respiratory symptoms. when i have a cold or cough, i really cut back or else it's gonna drag on. i'd rather have that 1 week of cutting back versus maybe three weeks of hacking myself to sleep. last piece of advice, drink up. maybe a little more than you're used to, especially pre-race. it will help thin out the secretions. makes it easier to hit that guy drafting you with some snot:-)

Kim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend NOT taking any OTC meds especially those containing psuedoehpedrine. I took a Sudafed before a race one time because I had some congestion, and had a very, very high heart rate going about 1/4 mi. into the run. I had to walk a good deal in the run to keep it under control. I don't know for sure if it was the meds, but that is the only thing out of the ordinary I could base the cause on.
Quote Reply
Re: A little medical advice . . . [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes the sudafed did it. the pseudoephedrine is a stimulant, much like an amphetamine, which lessens nasal secretions and congestion of your nasal mucosa--hence less stuffiness. but increased heart rate is a side effect. you will find, though, that just exercising by itself will decrease congestion because of the body's own stimulants working on your system. so you probably don't need decongestants to get through the workout or a race.

Kim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently Peter Reid handled his cold before IMH with a lot a Vitamin C and garlic. You may want to try it unless you are scared to finish on the podium!
Quote Reply