Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A lack of communication skills in bike shops?
Quote | Reply
here's a thought. There has been a lot of threads recently , from recollection from Tom D. about service and expectations of customers, from Slowman hammering peoples critique of shops and the MB thread etc.

a lot of them describe the unpleasant experience from a particular shop when they were dealing with only one person. So if they didn't hit it off with that one person they unfairly bagged the shop.

Tom D. described the chap from MB as a straightshooter who doesn't bullshit. That's fine in the right enviroment however a bit more tact may be necessary when just meeting a new client. I feel that a lot of these problems are due to a lack of communication skills of the individuals involved.

You can be the worlds best bike mechanic or have huge knowledge on fitting etc but if you can't connect with that client you are probably fighting a losing battle. From my experience a lot of very talented people in bike shops have little or no people skills and this is to the detriment of that business as the customer will walk away unsatisfied and rag the shop on some forum.

improve the customer service skills to match the bike knowledge and presto everyones happy.
Quote Reply
Re: A lack of communication skills in bike shops? [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shep,

I think what's been missing this whole time is the understanding that humans are rather complex beings and "work" inherently involves mistakes. The best make mistakes. There is no such thing as perfection--only a striving for perfection. People are not always in the best moods. Everyone goes through these same emotions.

The problem is that people in shops interact with the public in a way that is one sided. If an employee isn't having the greatest day and isn't performing at their usual best, a customer like many of those on this thread will feel like they can generalize about that person, the shop, etc. in a way that is completely unreasonable and unfair from a limited set of experiences.

I think what's missing here is a basic "reality check" about the structure of retail interaction and how some customers are more willing to pass judgement based on maybe one or two episodes that don't necessarily reflect the general character of an entire organization.

Customer service and people skills are obviously important, but I think what really matters here is a realization that no one can be perfect to everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: A lack of communication skills in bike shops? [kelvin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Kelvin,

agree with your point, I'm not saying they need to be perfect and be mistake free, that's not realistic. It is the approach to the person who walks in that door that counts. We all have bad days but don't load that onto the happy person who was all excited about buying a bike and leaves deflated with the shop over the attitude of one staff member.

I find it more with the younger guys who are very good cyclists and can be a bit cocky in themselves. It is the interests of the owner of that shop to ensure that those employees look as interested in the fat old bloke who walks in as they are in the good cyclists who come in.

If they leave satisfied with the experience they will tell people, if they leave not satisfied they will tell a whole lot more people.
Quote Reply