Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A few quick thoughts/questions on PC's
Quote | Reply
From my limited perspective, it seems to me that PC's reinforce the classic europro/Lemond style of positioning and pedaling. That is, seat way behind the bb and scrape the mud off the shoes through strong hamstring contraction, which automatically leads to hip flexion. It also seems to me that hip and knee extension will be slightly detrained, as to ride in smaller gears and stay in control of the rpm you actually have to allow the hip and knee to extend concentrically! Otherwise you just keep reaching for more and more gear. I can see that when I finally adapt, that I'll probably have my stem 2 cm higher and 1 cm shorter, and my seat 2-3cm further aft.

Thoughts/comments?
Quote Reply
Re: A few quick thoughts/questions on PC's [vo2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vo2. i agree with you that PC's will make a guy rethink where he has the bars. your estimations are almost exactly where i have ended up putting mine. and, as you say the end result does indeed look more old school in the sense of the bars being closer to saddle height ( for road configuration). could be those old schoolers knew something!

the saddle back/scrape the mud deal is similar. however, in my case i see that more as something that was simply needed to get thru the adaptation. since adaptation i have been able to sort of forget that, and ride more " normally" in that regard. just this weekend, in fact, i moved my saddle back forward on the rails to a spot very near where i had it before. it feels good.

the bar height thing, tho, i see as more permanent - a rethink of the classic position/power equation which a guy is painfully treated to thru PC's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think these are early adaptations that people make. I am not sure you will still feel the same 2-3 years from now when you have fully adapted.

One thing for sure, PC's make the user "painfully" aware of how much positioning affects power, something most people ignore.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question? When can i borrow yours? Or can i just come over and jack up the seat up about a foot and ride your bike? What type of pedals are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: A few quick thoughts/questions on PC's [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Randall,

Uh, let's not let you squish my bike. Let's set a day when you can bring your bike over (make sure you have an octalink bb in it) and we'll do the deed. You'll have fun...really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vo2 and Dr. Day, do you guys think is there an optimum time in a cyclists development to begin to use PCs? I have been a long distance runner for many years (mulitple 3:30 - 4:00 marathons per year since 1999), but am only in my second year of triathlons. Cycling is a weakness for me (half IM bike leg in 3:20) so I am in the weight room and on the trainer now working on power and speed. I this a good time to use PCs, or should I wait until I have trained a bit more?

David
Quote Reply
Re: A few quick thoughts/questions on PC's [glider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sooner you start the "easier" it will be to undo your bad habits. You will be spending a lot of time trying to get better and simply reinforcing bad habits that make you slow. In addition, until you are on the PC's you are only training about half the muscles in the legs.

the key is are you reasonably serious about getting better. If so, it is never too soon to start.

If you are just doing this to have fun then you can wait. PC's are not necessary to enjoy the friends and races.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply