Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A few beers a week before a 70.3?
Quote | Reply
I would normally go off the grog 2 weeks out from a 70.3, but I'm feeling burnt out from the training, last race of the season and it's been a long season. I was thinking of having a few drinks tonight, 4 or 5 beers, but I also don't want to fuck up my race, I know I'm probably being a bit paranoid. I should be top 10, hopefully top 5, so reasonably competitive. Note it takes me a few days to recover from even 4 beers. I don't drink much, once a week normally and just binge a few times during the year. Thoughts?
Last edited by: zedzded: Apr 27, 18 0:01
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of my best races have come off huge nights the weekend before as have some of my worst... Perhaps it's just a mental thing more than anything.
Wouldn't do it all the time but in any case, you'll be right.

Coach at Scientific Triathlon
http://www.scientifictriathlon.com
Last edited by: ljkerin: Apr 27, 18 0:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go ahead. Seems like you need it.
maybe to drink something to replace fluid to make recovery faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two modes, tea total or monster booze hound. I find 2 weeks after a few big sessions and I don't feel any impact from having had a drink. 4-5 beers even if you are not not a big drinker normally will be fine I think. Drink plenty of water and an electrolyte drink so you are not dehydrated. Having a few beers and chill will be good for you mentally I would think. I appreciate you are competitive and going for a result but its still only a hobby and you have to live. 2 bottles of wine night before a race not recommend though - may or may not be talking from experience.!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A case of severe paranoia. If you feel like some beers then have them. Listen to your body/mind and it is what you feel like. I think people get too single minded about racing they neglect living. I more often then not have a couple of beers the night before a 70.3 as I find it relaxes me and I'm around a top 5 competitor here in Oz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the race this weekend? If not and you're feeling burnt out, maybe it's just the thing you need. Not the alcohol part (although that is fun), but more the sort of enforced rest/lighter days you will do the day or two after. This close to your race there's more risk that you'll overcook it in training now and go in too fatigued vs slightly undertaking and leaving some fitness on the table.

If it is this weekend why don't you have a couple of beers but stop at 2? Or have some light beers and have your 3-4?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it unless it was going to interfere with an important training session the next day. But during taper that is probably negotiable too without any terribly significant consequences.

Of course it depends what effect "4 or 5 beers" has on you. I could have 4 or 5 typical beers and still perform pretty well the next day but it would effect me a bit. By lunchtime I'd be 95% back to normal. Any effect on performance the next week would be utterly imperceptible. If I had 10+ beers I might feel it for a day or two, but I generally avoid that sort of consumption regardless of imminent races!
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you might as well just fornicate with anything that moves and skip church on Sunday!
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
Well you might as well just fornicate with anything that moves and skip church on Sunday!
Maybe I'm being a bit dim today, but I haven't the faintest idea what that means in this context!
Care to elucidate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am only halfway through my first cup of coffee right now but it was supposed to be a play on morals...as in well since you are having beers before a race you might as well go and sin all around...but then I am not religious so I don't go to church..so the not pink "fornicate" part was meant to mean "well go ahead and actually do that because it is fun" and the pink "dont go to church" part was meant to be sarcastic as in you don't really have to go..but in hindsight I may have fooked that part up haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tradition requires me to post this:

RandMart wrote:
http://riotfest.org/2017/04/one-time-joe-strummer-ran-marathon/

Joe: You shouldn’t really ask me about my training regime, you know.
Q: Why?
Joe: Because it’s not good and I wouldn’t want people to copy it.
Q: Don’t make me beat it out of you.
Joe: Okay, you want it, here it is. Drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race.
Q: No running at all?
Joe: No, none at all. And don’t forget the 10 pints of beer the night before. But make sure you put a warning in this article, “Do not try this at home.” I mean, it works for me and Hunter Thompson but it might not work for others. I can only tell you what I do.

You're welcome

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tradition requires me to post this:

RandMart wrote:
http://riotfest.org/2017/04/one-time-joe-strummer-ran-marathon/

Joe: You shouldn’t really ask me about my training regime, you know.
Q: Why?
Joe: Because it’s not good and I wouldn’t want people to copy it.
Q: Don’t make me beat it out of you.
Joe: Okay, you want it, here it is. Drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race.
Q: No running at all?
Joe: No, none at all. And don’t forget the 10 pints of beer the night before. But make sure you put a warning in this article, “Do not try this at home.” I mean, it works for me and Hunter Thompson but it might not work for others. I can only tell you what I do.

You're welcome

Haha love the Clash :)

Thanks for replying guys, 5 beers down feeing less strung out :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
I am only halfway through my first cup of coffee right now but it was supposed to be a play on morals...as in well since you are having beers before a race you might as well go and sin all around...but then I am not religious so I don't go to church..so the not pink "fornicate" part was meant to mean "well go ahead and actually do that because it is fun" and the pink "dont go to church" part was meant to be sarcastic as in you don't really have to go..but in hindsight I may have fooked that part up haha
Gotcha....I think

There's no moral issues in drinking before racing (at least non specific to the racing bit), unless it either somehow improves your performance as a PED or you actually race under the influence and thus endanger others.

In my opinion going to church is more of a moral concern than staying away.... but I'm prepared to differ with the majority on that one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Where are you located? On the east coast of the US it is Friday morning (9:41am) and I wish I were 5 beers down!
Last edited by: LuchaLibre: Apr 27, 18 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a few beers, take the pressure off.

Last race I did I was in a pretty big hole the weekend before, but I had my usual few beers, backed of the volume for the week & had a really good race.

All the work is done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:

Unless you can make it to Confession on Saturday

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
LuchaLibre wrote:

Maybe I'm being a bit dim today, but I haven't the faintest idea what that means in this context!
Care to elucidate?
Bot does not compute???
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
LuchaLibre wrote:

Care to elucidate?
Bot does not compute???
I may not have followed his but I know exactly what to make of yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 beeers 2 weeks from a race? Is this a serious question? No, you don’t need to worry.
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sheesh.....
i'm debating going to masters tonight and I had 3 glasses of wine at a work lunch ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd run with the assumption that a couple of beers ingested two weeks out from a race will have zero impact on race day! I put down a couple of beers the morning of my SAT test back in the early 90s and got my best score - so it might help you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just enjoyed a 40 oz. margarita. My HIM is 2 weeks away. Though, I am not a top contender. Injury, illness, business travel, and vacation have given me only 4 weeks of running in 2018 with just a little more biking and swimming. I am training for survival.
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [davidleventhal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidleventhal wrote:
I'd run with the assumption that a couple of beers ingested two weeks out from a race will have zero impact on race day! I put down a couple of beers the morning of my SAT test back in the early 90s and got my best score - so it might help you!

Racing in a week, not 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I would normally go off the grog 2 weeks out from a 70.3, but I'm feeling burnt out from the training, last race of the season and it's been a long season. I was thinking of having a few drinks tonight, 4 or 5 beers, but I also don't want to fuck up my race, I know I'm probably being a bit paranoid. I should be top 10, hopefully top 5, so reasonably competitive. Note it takes me a few days to recover from even 4 beers. I don't drink much, once a week normally and just binge a few times during the year. Thoughts?

I reckon you will be just fine. Fwiw, I had teammates that used to carbo load before 70.3 and even Ironman and absolutely killed it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:

Where are you located? On the east coast of the US it is Friday morning (9:41am) and I wish I were 5 beers down!

Western Australia, so 12 hours ahead. Yeah 5 beers down at 9.40am wouldn't be a good sign!
Quote Reply

Prev Next