Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Lab_man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lab_man wrote:
The closest I have ever been to something like this was when I had to bunny hop a beaver while I was doing 22+.

Bunny hop a beaver... While doing 22+. Amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
Lab_man wrote:
The closest I have ever been to something like this was when I had to bunny hop a beaver while I was doing 22+.

Bunny hop a beaver... While doing 22+. Amazing.

Thanks, it's amazing what you'd do for beaver.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My GF is getting into road cycling and I have had the squirrel discussion with her. "If you see a squirrel, yell at it and then just slow down until it figures out what it is going to do." I told her the same for any animal.

And better than a deer story:

A group of us were riding the GAPs in North Georgia. Going up Wolf Pen we stretched out with the sprinter Vince lagging way behind as usual. As we gathered at the top waiting for everybody, we noticed it was taking Vince a long time. The climb stair steps, and has a few short descents during it. It should not be this hard for Vince. Finally, he comes rolling up with this excited look on his face.

Vince says, "You are not going to believe what happened!"

"What?"

"I hit a bear!"

I respond, "You're right, we don't believe you!"

"No really, I hit a bear."

To this day he swears he hit one of the little descents and dropped his head down, just letting his bike roll. While he wasn't looking, BAM! He hits the ground. He sees this black fur and things he has hit a dog. Then he realized it is a bear. His cleats are clicking on the road trying to get out of there. The bears claws are clicking on the road trying to get out of there. They both run in opposite directions. The bike stays where it is, probably unconscious.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, I was kayaking out on this small lake where I have been paddling the past few several years.
2010: ZERO carp
2011: I would scare up 3 or 4 every five-mile loop in the lake
2012: first time out this year, yesterday, I counted 12 in first half-mile when it then erupted just like at the end of this video. Had to have been LOL funny had anyone seen it from afar. I just ducked down & protected my face. Crazy, crazy stuff.

EDIT:
embedding video failed. Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7TYKiLSJZo

Some mild cussing in the video
Last edited by: TeamBarenaked: Jul 18, 12 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clarification: Video not from yesterday's kayaking, but this is representative of what happened.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deer can be very dangerous.

I live in the UK near the Ashdown Forest.

Earlier in the year I was going down a hill fast. Thankfully not quite at top speed, but a deer leapt out of the trees and stopped right in front of me in the middle of the road.

I barely had time to even touch the brakes and I slammed into it.

Over the bars I went and later the GPS said I was still travelling at 34 mph went I hit it.

Blood everywhere - mine and the deers.

Cuts to arm, elbow, knee, dislocated shoulder, cracked helmet, and lots of road rash.

Not nice at all.

The deers cause hundreds of road accidents near me each year and their population is out of control...

A few months on and I am always looking out for deer leaping out which distracts a little from the fun of racing.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Colinio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The title should be 'I hit a deer'. Unless the aggrieved deer you ploughed into got up and cuffed you :)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a rabbit dart out a few days ago. It happened too quickly for me to do anything but watch....I was sure he was going to snare himself in my front wheel and send me over but at the last second he must have put his foot down like a high jumper. The next thing I knew, we were face to face and it felt like he was just hovering there at my eye level. We had a moment together
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Colinio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colinio wrote:

Earlier in the year I was going down a hill fast. Thankfully not quite at top speed, but a deer leapt out of the trees and stopped right in front of me in the middle of the road.

Over the bars I went and later the GPS said I was still travelling at 34 mph went I hit it.

Cuts to arm, elbow, knee, dislocated shoulder, cracked helmet, and lots of road rash.

Not nice at all.

The deers cause hundreds of road accidents near me each year and their population is out of control...

A few months on and I am always looking out for deer leaping out which distracts a little from the fun of racing.

You live and ride near a forest which is the natural habitat for deer. Don't blame the deer entirely.

Maybe it isn't the deer that are causing the accidents but us humans encroaching on the deer habitats and forcing them into smaller and smaller territories because of our own over-population and over-development?

Sorry for your accident but you are as much accountable for the accident as the deer.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quel wrote:
Sue the truck driver for launching a deer at you. That's assault.

No way. Sue the deer and take all his doe. Every last buck.

---------------------------

No fancy slogans, just results.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a friend of mine (RIP) did IM Australia, few years back, and got hit by a Kangaroo, during the race, broke the bike at the stem, he came back and showed us the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [Lab_man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a recent group ride I was following wheels and failed to see a raccoon road kill. Last second bunny hop saved me from crashing, but the hop was only enough to give me a few inches clearance and I still sailed right through the middle of his big fat body. Nearly crashed but the hop saved me enough.

I didn't see any nasties on the tires, but my dog sure spent the next week sniffing my tires :-)
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [chuckDiesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was so lame that I feel bad that I didn't think of it first.
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [chuckn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuckn wrote:
Colinio wrote:

Not nice at all.

You live and ride near a forest which is the natural habitat for deer. Don't blame the deer entirely.

Maybe it isn't the deer that are causing the accidents but us humans encroaching on the deer habitats and forcing them into smaller and smaller territories because of our own over-population and over-development?

Sorry for your accident but you are as much accountable for the accident as the deer.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the deer population has tripled in the last 10 years and they cause accidents in the area where 238 people were killed. Also over 4,000 other collisions some causing serious harm.

Originally there were natural predators. Now there are not and there will likely be a legal culling of them in the next few years. So get your facts right and come down off your holier than thou moutain.

Should we just ride where there are no trees? Perhaps the antarctic.

If your reply had been half sensible then I wouldn't have bothered giving you the facts, but as it is so wrong then I felt the need to reply.

And for the record, I am an animal lover!
Quote Reply
Re: A deer hit me while riding this morning. [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:

In a moment like that, when observing such a violent act from a distance, fear was not apart of my emotions as I was a safe distance from the impact; that is, until the deer began sliding directly towards me. You see, in that moment, I had forgotten Newtons Third Law of physics: to every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction. I would guess that the truck was going no slower than 35mph, and being that it weighs probably close to 8 times what the deer weighed, much of the opposite reaction was not absorbed by the truck, but by the buck. This left me in the current predicament that I found myself in.

Actually what you forgot was the Law of Conservation of Momentum, it has nothing to do with Newton's Third Law. Otherwise an interesting read. :)

I've had two close calls with Kangaroos and had a Kookaburra fly out of a bush on the inside corner during a fast descent and slap my face with its wing. Fauna can be more dangerous than other road users.
Quote Reply

Prev Next