Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A couple of noob questions
Quote | Reply
I'm just getting back into endurance after an extended vacation (been on a downward slide since 2007). I was never an "endurance athlete". I played soccer competitively until 27, rode a bike everywhere because I had to/preferred to, and did long runs because the army made me do it. I'm not a swimmer (at the moment I can swim about 50m at a time), haven't owned a big bike since 2005 (been riding freestyle BMX) and I haven't ran consistently since 2006. I'm currently 36. I plan on focusing on olympic distance for the time being.

As I gear back up I've been doing a lot of reading the last few weeks and realize that in the past I've done most things wrong. I'm currently following a beginner olympic distance tri program that focuses on building up both distance and an aerobic foundation. 6 days/week with a couple two-a-days. Lots of Z2 with no speed work. Anyway... I have a few questions:

1) Z2 training. I get the concept, not sure exactly which "Z2" we're talking about. Is this the generic 60-70% MaxHR zone 2? Or is it the Joe Friel Zone 2 which is based on LT that TrainingPeaks has currently calculated to be about 71-77% of my MaxHR?

2) I live about 2km from work and it works out to 4 trips/day since I go home for lunch. Now that the snow is mostly gone I've been thinking about running it but I'm not really sure how to program it? I'm inclined to just haul ass for 2k and call it speed work, but then all this Z2 training stuff gets in there and I start to question the idea. Plus I'm older now and I'm not sure how smart it is to just max effort run with no real warmup...

3) How persistent are aerobic adaptations? I still have the low heart rate but I haven't been able to push myself hard enough to actually get any lactic burn, nor am I confident that I've managed hit my actual max HR. I've tried testing myself a couple times to establish baseline values but I just sort of hit a wall where the muscles turn sluggish and I start slowing down. If anyone has any insight I'd be happy to learn. I've tried researching but the stuff I've found mostly focuses on athletes that miss weeks/months of training and not years.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: A couple of noob questions [---noob---] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
---noob--- wrote:

1) Z2 training. I get the concept, not sure exactly which "Z2" we're talking about. Is this the generic 60-70% MaxHR zone 2? Or is it the Joe Friel Zone 2 which is based on LT that TrainingPeaks has currently calculated to be about 71-77% of my MaxHR?

This description of zones is well done: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ower-training-levels
If you are comparing it to HR rather than power, this chart has one trick - it is expressing HR as a percentage of Lactic Threshold Heart Rate rather than Max HR. The descriptions are quite helpful though to match it up to how you feel at different levels. For me at least, zone 2 is roughly 65-75% of my max HR.

You could also use a calculator like this one, and adjust it somewhat after some real experience:
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html

There are several calculators like this online, with varying results of up to 10 bpm, so definitely adjust after some real life experience.

Also, you might find it hard to stay down in zone 2 for a few weeks, if you are truly out of shape at the moment. That takes care of itself after a few weeks.
Last edited by: Cheesy Bottom: Apr 12, 14 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: A couple of noob questions [Cheesy Bottom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheesy Bottom wrote:
---noob--- wrote:

This description of zones is well done: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ower-training-levels
If you are comparing it to HR rather than power, this chart has one trick - it is expressing HR as a percentage of Lactic Threshold Heart Rate rather than Max HR. The descriptions are quite helpful though to match it up to how you feel at different levels. For me at least, zone 2 is roughly 65-75% of my max HR.

That helps a lot. Thanks.

Quote:
Also, you might find it hard to stay down in zone 2 for a few weeks, if you are truly out of shape at the moment. That takes care of itself after a few weeks.

Week 1 was terrible. Before I bought a HR monitor I'd already spent about a month doing very short runs (1-3km) but was pushing moderately hard to improve my time/average pace. Week 1 with a HR monitor was "you gotta be kidding me" week... the pace was painfully slow. Last week my lungs felt kind of weird and last weekend my HR stabilized during the run & bike so I managed to maintain my pace instead of having to slow down each km to keep my HR low enough.
Quote Reply