Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Q&A with Lionel Sanders
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone!

I know on here pretty much every thread eventually ends up with someone mentioning Lionel... but this time the whole thread is on him! We at FORM Smart Swim Goggles will be hosting our next webinar on Thursday, December 10th (at 10am PST) and this time it will be entirely featuring Lionel himself - we will be hosting a Q&A with him as he has been an avid user of our goggles since we gave him a pair in Kona last October. He will be fresh off racing at the PTO Championships, and is excited to be able to answer all your questions about his swimming.

Here's the link to sign-up on our website:
https://www.formswim.com/pages/webinars

If you have missed any of our previous webinars, you'll also be able to view recordings of those and we have covered a number of swimming topics including open water, using real-time metrics while swimming, and how to analyze your swims post-workout.

Hope to see some of you there! And feel free to post up some questions you would like us to cover during that webinar too. We plan on gathering questions before-hand to cover for the first portion of the webinar before we open up the floor to the audience!

Keith

Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also if you missed it in the Black Friday thread, we are having our once-yearly sale on our goggles for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Get 10% off a pair through our website at:

https://www.formswim.com/

And again, this will be our only public sale of the year, so don't miss out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 7 year old daughter, Helen, has a question.

"How do you float in the water?"

I think she is asking how to position your body to be as buoyant as possible while swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keith,

I would like to know if the Vasa Erg has ever been a part of his swim training, how he goes about using it, and if he feels it has been an effective tool outside of his endless pool.

I have seen he vasa only in one video and im unsure if it was the erg or the trainer. He has made no mention of it since. I have one and am curious.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to rsjrv99 and LifeTri for their questions so far, I've added them to our list. Just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone else would like to see their question asked, or would like to sign up for the webinar!

Lionel is fresh off his race in Daytona, and will be fresh off his race tomorrow in the UCI eSport Champs on Zwift (those are tomorrow!). Here's your chance to ask him your questions!

Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are some mental strategies you use during hard intervals to keep your mind calm and relax throughout the intensity?

I have a large heart and the same max heart rate of 170 as you at 29 years of age, though your heart is considerably less responsive to stress. My HR rises considerably faster when placed under load despite our similar zones. What are your thoughts and theories on your personal heart and cardiovascular system and why it responds so dramatically different than others?

Thank you Keith. I am extremely curious with the heart question and hope i worded it properly to illicit a good response. I only know of Lionel with a similarly large heart and stroke volume at such a young age. His heart does not really respond to stress like mine does despite me being fairly fit. He runs a 7 min mile at 105bpm, i get he’s an elite athlete but i cant help but think theres a genetic abnormality here giving him this incredible ability to pump blood to tissues

I know these arent swimming questions, i apologize

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Dec 8, 20 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries! I'll add them to our list, I'm sure the audience will have non-swim specific questions too... I'll just not promise we will be able to get to them for sure, but hopefully! Lionel's cardiovascular system is a pretty interesting case for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One question would be the amount he swims alone and if he will look at swimming more with squads in order to make more strides, esp when training in Tucson.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Lionel plan a swim focus for the next 3-4 months? His ride and run are great. If he had swam just 1 minute faster on Sunday, he would have generated a completely different end result. Same thing with Kona, 2 minutes off the swim time would be a game changer for him. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

She really couldn't have picked a less appropriate person to ask that question than Lionel!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would he be willing to discuss pay structure as a top pro? If so How much money does your different sponsors pay you? How about bonuses for winning or podiums? How much in his best year?
Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

I think she is asking how to position your body to be as buoyant as possible while swimming.

Is this a serious question? I honestly can’t tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question to Lionel would be...

As you were ONLY 2minutes down, which is a lot better than usual and your bike was nearly 3 minutes faster than the winner, were you satisfied with your run. Was the strain of the bike detrimental to your run. You have run faster average miles in other HIM.

And congrats for the epic fight back, you looked in pain all the way from 11th place to fourth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I would ask him if his focus on Kona is as strong and unwavering as ever, and what the roadmap looks like to get there.

Also, what is the give-and-take, back-and-forth like with DTD coaching. How do they work out the what, when, how much and how hard, etc.

At one point, I think he was on a cycle of 10 days hard three days easier or off. Is that still in effect.

THANKS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - this was really good! Lionel is always a great interview - but I will watch it twice because I think there was great information from both sides.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any way to rewatch this? I was registered but just missed it. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [jondavid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They said they are going to repost it after, so I'm sure you will be able to watch it.

Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for joining us dfru! It was great how open Lionel is in interviews, he always makes for an easy interviewee.
Quote Reply
Re: A Q&A with Lionel Sanders [jondavid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi jondavid!

dfru is correct, we will be sending out a recording of the webinar within the next couple of days. If you were registered, you'll get it sent to your email, but I'll be posting it up on here as well:)
Quote Reply