Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if its crazy to protein bars on a daily basis. I work 9am to 5pm and usually swim in the morning and jog at lunch, leaving me extremely hungry during the day. Its impossible to resist the urge to open my desk drawer and devour one each day. I know there is a lot of junk in your average protein bar, but sometimes i think the benefits of the extra protein outweigh the drawbacks. Anyone have any idea?

Anyone have any alternatives for food at desk during the morning and afternoon? I was eating some crackers earlier but thats just enriched flour and salt...hardly healthy.

Blue Q.
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, and the same question. Right now I have a box of mini-wheats and some oatmeal in my drawer but I'd like a better alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
Just wondering if its crazy to protein bars on a daily basis.

This would be a great thread on 4Chan.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PB&J on whole wheat (the natural PB, no hydrogenated crap) helps me survive between meals pretty much daily. i'll change it up with almond butter. high quality nutrition made of actual food for cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably depends what kind of protein bar. I generally eat some sort of bar as my snack each day, but try to stay away from the high calorie, high protein crap bars.. A few other option-- fruit (apples, bananas), greek yogurt, pretzels, almonds.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almonds, clementines, avocados, all natural peanut butter (or any other nut butter), tuna fish (in those foil pouches so you don't have to drain the water) are all great options.

If you think ahead when you pack your lunch, cook/pack a little extra for a snack.

If you must get more protein quickly, protein powder works great, and doesn't come with all the junk in a protein bar.
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [Chucifer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pizza, cheesesteaks, Philly pretzels, ice cream, potato chips and tortillas with sour cream and cheese.

Quote | Reply
Here are some desk snack ideas:
Nuts
Bananas/apples
cottage cheese
yogurt with granola or nuts
hummus with veggies or pita bread
Organic rice cakes with peanut butter

Your protein bar is probably fine, but you might want to switch it with a brand that doesn't have preservatives and tons of saturated fat. Hope these ideas help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always like Greek yogurt with wheat germ sprinkled on top. I like that extra crunch.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES!

Ride today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're gonna eat protein bars everyday, spend 30 minutes and make your own.

The benefits are huge - use your favorite protein powder, natural sweetners (brown rice syrup or agave syrup or molasses or honey), oats, and any other foods you like. There are a ton or recipes on the internet.

You can make a batch that'll last you 2 weeks at a fraction of the cost......

KP

"Make friends with pain and you will never be alone" Ken Chlouber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While not advisable, you can live on energy bars and contaminated water for days on end. You'll get sick though. I did, and I did.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
Just wondering if its crazy to protein bars on a daily basis. I work 9am to 5pm and usually swim in the morning and jog at lunch, leaving me extremely hungry during the day. Its impossible to resist the urge to open my desk drawer and devour one each day. I know there is a lot of junk in your average protein bar, but sometimes i think the benefits of the extra protein outweigh the drawbacks. Anyone have any idea?

Anyone have any alternatives for food at desk during the morning and afternoon? I was eating some crackers earlier but thats just enriched flour and salt...hardly healthy.

Blue Q.
Like others have said, depends on the protein bar... some are better than others. There's almost always a better alternative, though.

That said, compare something like a Clif Builder Bar to a MetRx bar on the ingredient list to compare and see what I'm talking about...
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the one about the homemade powerbars. I'll give that a shot.

Most importantly, thanks for not telling me my seat post is too high or my curtains need drycleaning.
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that's a race report that I would like to read!
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [oxidefilm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably your sig linE and not a questione but I did ride Monday it was 48 degrees out...nice felt like I was in the tropics.

Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out there, somewhere, someone is eating a philly steak with, and when you meet them, they will beat you...to the bathroom or the ER anyway....(or, a hoagie haven choose your sammich instead of a philly)...
keep trainin' ya animal!
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question,

So are you saying that the Metrx bar is better nutritionally than the Cliff Builder? Not trying to start a fight, I'm just curious.

I've been living on Cliff Builder Bars the past few weeks and now I'm thinking maybe I should switch?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [parasky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other way around. CLIF has good stuff in it. Sorry if it read contrarily.
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, thanks for replying. I thought it looked pretty good but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lara Bars, taste great and only have like 3-7 ingredients. 190-230 calories depending on the bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:

Blue Q.

I eat those protein bars that are made from natural ingredients like fruits and nuts and certified by Dieticians and Health professionals.

Built Bar is the brand which I like most, You can use Built Bar coupons.
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [juliadavid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juliadavid wrote:
blueQuintana wrote:

Blue Q.

I eat those protein bars that are made from natural ingredients like fruits and nuts and certified by Dieticians and Health professionals.

I wonder if the OP has managed to eat 3650 protein bars in the last 10 years?
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been making these things for YEARS. like, since i think i found the recipe on usenet when i was 16. i re-post here as a public service:

https://www.rickdenney.com/rickbars.htm

they're outstanding.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: A Protein Bar a day? Am I serious? [3Active] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Active wrote:
Your protein bar is probably fine, but you might want to switch it with a brand that doesn't have preservatives and tons of saturated fat.

This.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply

Prev Next