Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Mental Exercise
Quote | Reply
None of us will ever know the actual answer to this question, so this is just an exercise.

Do you think that you would have less drive, fight, hunger to win at your given sport if you were paid a lot to do it?

While watching an NFL game today, I began wondering if the guys on the field have the same drive to win as say a Chris McCormack, who could only dream of making what a middle of the road NFL player is getting paid. I wonder if the money and that atmosphere/type of sport makes you softer? Team vs individual?

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: A Mental Exercise [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don`t think so. Anybody who got to that level has to be very passionate about what they are doing to get there. People who get there have drive and they wouldn't stay there long if they became soft. To keep the money you've got to keep the performance. However I will agree that they might have a bit more of a cushion for being "soft"/ having an off game, because they aren't the only guy on the field and in the limelight (depending on the position and the guy). IMO

I guess it might also depend on your character and then there is the whole, "If you love the sport the money doesn't matter." point of view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On an mildly related note, I'm more convinced now than ever that the 'drive to win' pales in comparison to genetics to dominate.
Quote Reply
Re: A Mental Exercise [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
On an mildly related note, I'm more convinced now than ever that the 'drive to win' pales in comparison to genetics to dominate.

Yeah, but put them both together. Those who are the best have the talent and drive. I'll leave it at that 'cause we know where this will head...
Quote Reply
Re: A Mental Exercise [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Yeah, but put them both together. Those who are the best have the talent and drive. I'll leave it at that 'cause we know where this will head...

I actually think the 'drive to win' is a given in pros, and they almost all triathlon professionals actually have to hold themselves back in training from destruction of overtraining rather than the other way around. And come race day, I don't think any of them are giving up time because they're wimping out at any phase. While close races do force you to dig deep for the win, more often than not its superior physical conditioning/genetics that win out.

Even Macca, in his book, talks about his mental game with Raelert and for the IM win and how he outgamed him in the end. However, when I read that section, I came away convinced that Macca simply had more fuel in the tank - he might have thought he broke Raelert down mentally, but Macca sure knew he had a big surge when he needed it.

In Kona, where the race is long, so gaps tend to get big, I don't think the winner is really winning because he/she's mentally tougher than anyone out there. In fact, I think very few races come down to that point. (The neck and neck finish ones do.)
Quote Reply
Re: A Mental Exercise [joey3077] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joey3077 wrote:
I don`t think so. Anybody who got to that level has to be very passionate about what they are doing to get there. People who get there have drive and they wouldn't stay there long if they became soft. To keep the money you've got to keep the performance. However I will agree that they might have a bit more of a cushion for being "soft"/ having an off game, because they aren't the only guy on the field and in the limelight (depending on the position and the guy). IMO

I guess it might also depend on your character and then there is the whole, "If you love the sport the money doesn't matter." point of view.

Bingo, you don't just cruise to the top and then fluff it off. Those that played today in the NFL games have worked their butts off to get to that level and they will be damned if anyone tries to take it away from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the drive to "win" is somewhat of an innate characteric. Dave Scott won 6x in Hawaii, despite minimal if any money for most of those races. According to Matt Fitzgerald in Iron War, Scott won those events on sheer will, not some physical genetic gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty have less drive. Even the announcers talked about "business descisions" refering to not tackling or making a weak tackle that would need help from a teammate to bring the player down. Training is also a "chore" to many players. Allen Iverson and many football players get fined all the time for not practicing. Intensity within a game is going to be super high for most but then again your local flag football game can bring that intensity just without the results. For many the offseason is a real offseason with total lack of care for months at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: A Mental Exercise [joey3077] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe for some people. I was watching as we'll when the commentator saidthencorner made a "business decision" to not tackle the rb. Could you imagine Crowie making a decision motto push the last few miles to save for the later years in his career?

Personally, I certainly hope not.
Last edited by: six_cubes: Jan 13, 13 15:05
Quote Reply
Re: A Mental Exercise [six_cubes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand what you're saying and agree that I would hope not as well. It can also come down to a sort of risk management for high injury sports where an injury can mean an ending to your career (football, hockey). The sport is their livelihood so if they feel there isn't a good risk reward for a play I can understand a little bit why they make those decisions.
Quote Reply