Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Heart Rate Question
Quote | Reply
I am new to Triathlons and am looking to compete in the 1/2 Ironman in Kona next may. I have been trainning without a heart rate monitor, until just buying one last week. On my rides that are only about tweenty miles so far I have been averaging tweenty miles an hour, after getting a polar I can see I have been having my heart rate at 185 beats per minute at this speed. I understand I need to be at 135 to 147 beats per minute, and at this range I am only going about twelve miles per hour. I don't mind doing this to build my system until I can work at the same beats per minute by bringing my mile per hour up. My question is do I continue to train here to build as Polar suggests and over the period of six months or so my performance will improve while not working any harder? I would appreciate any input,

Thanks...

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: A Heart Rate Question [iseliw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an extremaly loaded question which I can't answer in a few words.

I think you should get a book and start reading about training with HR. If you don't understand what you're doing the HR-monitor is worthless. You will also need to do a L-Treshhold test in order to set your 'training zones'.

A one dollar answer to your question:
You should do most of your training at low HR but you need to include some faster stuff in order to improve your speed.
Don't go too slow either, what the manuals of those HR monitors sugest is usually on the low end.

What I just said is wrong, but it might give you a hint of where to start;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get The Triathlete Training Bible by Joel Friel (?). It is a good book that talks alot about different training ranges and structuring your training based on heart rate. Gale Bernhardt's book Training Programs for Multisport Athletes is also a good one.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about hr monitors but I just started using one myself, just experimenting. My hilly rides of 30 to 65 miles at 18mph avg, with an average hr of about 117 to 123. I guess I should be going harder?

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: A Heart Rate Question [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys I appreciate your input.....

Quote Reply
Re: A Heart Rate Question [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the more important numbers that you will need to know is what your HR is at your AT (anaerobic threshold) From that # it is easy to come up with your training zones. If you don't have access to a lab that can do a Vo2 and submax Vo2 test, a Conconi test works well in figuring out your AT and training zones. Remember, true heart rate training zones are based on an athlete's fitness level and genetics, not on age and gender like most charts.
Email me and I can try to help you out a bit more directly about creating your zones. Here is a nice little quote that Im sure all of us in here could agree to.

"I've kind of laughed about it over the years," Dr. William Haskell (developer of 220-age formula) said. The formula, he said, "was never supposed to be an absolute guide to rule people's training." But, he said, "It's so typical of Americans to take an idea and extend it beyond what it was originally intended for."

The New York Times, 4/24/01

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some sources for you starting with HRM.

Books: Training Bible by Joe Friel, Training for Endurance by Phil Maffetone.

Web: Gordo's tips and forum http://www.byrn.org/

Most peolple find themselves working "too hard" when strappimng on a HRM for the first time. Stick with it. It works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you need to find your max. guessing you're going off the age based hr zones which are right maybe 50% of the time if you're lucky. If you're riding an hour at 185bpm your max is probably around 220 or maybe even slightly higher. And this is a running max/absolute max. Your max on the bike is probably lower, somewhere under 200 or right around there. To find your max you could do a workout such as: run-warm up 2 miles or so then do 5x400m all out with a minute recovery. On your second to last or last repeat you'll probably max out HR wise. Take this # and add 5bpm. This should give you a fair estimate of your running max. You can do the same thing on the bike, probably using a longer warm up, 30min or so and enlisting the help of a big mean hill for the intervals. After that, take your zones and use that monitor.
Quote Reply
Re: A Heart Rate Question [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stick with it. If you are patient and stay within your aerobic range, your body will adapt, become more efficient and you'll get faster at lower heart rates.

Although he uses age as a basis, I always go back to these articles by Mark Allen for a simple framework to a season, then go to Friel and Gordo for the daily stuff...They're worth a read.

http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/...arkallen/1011027293/

http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/...arkallen/1011626750/

http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/...arkallen/1012250226/

http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/...arkallen/1012854277/
Quote Reply
Re: A Heart Rate Question [kcwiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcwiii,

Thankyou your post and links To Mark Allen's commentary are very helpful.

Thanks Again.....

Quote Reply