Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Day in Toronto
Quote | Reply
Flying from the US to Denmark for LC Worlds in a couple weeks and have an 8 hour layover in Toronto. Want to get out of the airport, stretch the legs and ideally get in a swim if there is pool that is convenient. Be interested in advice on places to swim and other things for my wife and I to do around town before we hop back on the plane to go over the pond. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: A Day in Toronto [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got your wetsuit with you? Head over to Cherry Beach for an OWS. Love Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse for a nice wagyu steak - it's a little pricey but worth it. For something more Canadian, Antler Kitchen & Bar; they specializes in gamey meats.

Can't think of much else...

#KISPERFORMANCE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:
Flying from the US to Denmark for LC Worlds in a couple weeks and have an 8 hour layover in Toronto. Want to get out of the airport, stretch the legs and ideally get in a swim if there is pool that is convenient. Be interested in advice on places to swim and other things for my wife and I to do around town before we hop back on the plane to go over the pond. Thanks in advance.

I say this half tongue in cheek ... but if those 8 hours fall during times of the day / week with heavier traffic (which is a lot of time these days), you are almost better staying in the airport. A Goodlife fitness recently opened in one of the terminals, which is a good way to fill the time, but it doesn't have a pool.

Or, you could take the Union-Pearson Express (a direct Airport <-> Union Station train, in the city centre), and if the timing is right, get to the Choo YMCA (which has lane swim most of the day) or the Esplanade rec centre. either would be a ~ $5 uber trip from Union. Or spend a few hours in town.

Dunno about pools that are convenient to the airport itself. But if you're looking for strip clubs and US chain restaurants, well, quit digging because you've hit gold in that part of town!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... or, )subject to the traffic comment above) rent a car, drive 30 minutes (on a clear day) to the Mattamy velodrome in Milton, and watch some track cycling. There might be something interesting on while you're there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I wouldn’t stray too far from the airport. Toronto is a big city and it’s very congested making travel slow and inconvenient. Not knowing the area is kind of risky too. I certainly wouldn’t be seeking out a random ows in a place I’m unfamiliar with. Perhaps I’m being a sissy, but I wouldn’t want to risk missing my connection.
Quote Reply
Re: A Day in Toronto [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Personally, I wouldn’t stray too far from the airport. Toronto is a big city and it’s very congested making travel slow and inconvenient. Not knowing the area is kind of risky too. I certainly wouldn’t be seeking out a random ows in a place I’m unfamiliar with. Perhaps I’m being a sissy, but I wouldn’t want to risk missing my connection.

Same. I'd have a hard time relaxing since I'd keep looking at my watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toronto's Pearson International Airport is about 20km NW of the city centre - it can be a 1hr taxi ride during rush hour.
There is a Union-Pearson train ( https://www.torontopearson.com/...oandfrom/upexpress/#) that will get you smack down town.
The CN Tower is right by Union Train Station. So is the Hockey Hall of Fame. Tons of restaurants.
8hrs is not that long. Even if you have your boarding pass and no bags but your carry on, you still have to do the airport security thing and it can take an hour to get to the gate.

BTW: If going to LC Worlds I would not risk a swim at Cherry Beach a few days before. Its just not worth getting some intestinal bug swimming in a lake by one of the biggest cities in North America. Find a YMCA or community centre pool instead, pay your $10 and enjoy the chlorine.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:

Etobicoke Olympium Pool is pretty close (10 min cab ride?)

https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/prd/facilities/complex/892/index.html

check under drop in hours for lane swimming

I'd take the UP express train downtown and do something

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g155019-Activities-Toronto_Ontario.html#ATTRACTION_SORT_WRAPPER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:

I love having long layovers to explore a city. I live in Toronto. You could swim at either Summerville or Sunnyside Pool, you'd want to take a taxi or City bike to either. Both are outside. If you're in a City bike you can take the Martin Goodman Trail (a path along the waterfront) to get to either.

As far as stuff to do, if you're taking the UP train (I recommend this) it brings you into Union. The CN Town and Aquarium are just a couple blocks away. Toronto has a lot of great food, whatever you're in to. If you or your wife are into shopping there's the Eaton's Centre and Yorkville.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:

visit page below and check where drop in (lane swim) are happening on particular day at the time you will be here, each day of the week has different schedule at all the locations, so select the day instead of entire week:

https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/dropin/index.html#lat=&long=&date=1&time=1&age=&acc=&ar=&gen=&fi=&sp=&sk=&sw=0,1,2,3,4,5&other=&district=&lt=all&fav=

and Uber straight there, stay away from open water swim in Ontario lake...

Or forget about swim, take 25min train to Union (iit is 25 mi neven in rush hour) and have a dinner at CN tower (when you go to restaurant you have free lift up)

https://www.upexpress.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-IaCxY732wIV3LbACh2npAz_EAAYASAAEgJtcfD_BwE

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to the downtown core (south-east of the airport) is where all the sights are, but can be a pain in the ass to navigate and manage time

Alternates
Directly South to Etobicoke. Etobicoke is likely a lot closer time/distance wise to the airport. (probably 15-30min drive)
-Olympium pool at centenial park. Massive park for running too.
-Sherway Gardens is a good mall to walk around. Lots of food options at all price points.
-You can go all the way to the lake (not really sure where the swim spots are in that area)

Although not as scenic, heading North to Vaughan could also work.
-lots of pools to get a swim in (look here). Depending on traffic, you're about 20-40 min away.
-Vaughan Mills outlet mall is an easy place to kill a couple of hours. (still about ~45 min away).

My vote would be to head directly south to Etobicoke.

What day are you going to be there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should cgeck out thehealth center at the Royal York. It's right in front of Union station. Go for a swim then a massage.

https://www.fairmont.com/...ervices/health-club/

There's a Japanese restaurant in the hotel that uses hibachi tables. I've never been myself but always wanted to from the time I watched .

Keep in mind that it's recommended you arrive 2 hours before departure for international flights out of Pearson so you have enough time to check in and clear security.

2 hours sounds like a lot of time but there are times when things go crazy there. I once had to get in a security line up that went all the way to the taxi drop off area and then all the way across the terminal. It got so bad that airline employees had to go down the line collecting passengers when it was 30 minutes to their departure. We were then sent through an area normally used for Nexus card holders to get scanned. Everyone else that had time had to wait in line.

Technically you are down to 6 hours not including the time it would take to get to your destination and back to the airport.

The UP express is supposed to get you to Union station in 25 minutes. Trains leave every 15 minutes so it could take longer to get there and back depending on your timing. You are going to need another 25 (+15) to get so that leaves you with about 5 hours to do something downtown. 1 hour for the swim, 45 minute massage, 1 hour to eat. You might have 1 hour to walk around a bit. I would head back up to the airport 3 hours before departure to make sure you have a time buffer in case something comes up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etobicoke Olympium and Centennial Park. I wouldn't risk going any further from the airport if you only have 8 hours. Never mind traffic, you can hit a one hour security lineup at Pearson.

Quote Reply