Quote | Reply

ASICS MetaRide :

Zero drop (feeling like 4 or 5mm ?)
Lot of midfoot cushion
Stiff sole
Rocker

Look familiar ?

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/...iew-rock-n.html#more

A big change for ASICS, hopefully leading to lighter and more affordable shoes, in the range(s) of Bondi, Clifton, Rincon, Razor 3, Kinvara...
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when is Newton coming out with a mid-foot cushioned shoe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11.2 ounces? Damn heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A big shoe company making a Max runner can only be a good thing if you like that sort of shoe. Way too expensive, for me, but hopefully paving the way. I'd like to see Adidas make one using Boost.

BTW is Rincon a typo or something completely off my radar?
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka Rincon is a new Hoka model coming mid 2019.

Same stacks as Clifton, but much lighter, nearly 2oz less, and more responsive (TBC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.outsideonline.com/...+Weekly+3%2F1%2F2019

"The biggest practical insight: in the new SMU data set, changing your shoes, on its own, doesn’t significantly change your loading rate. Either your shoe cushioning softens the impact, or you adjust your landing to get cushioning from your calf and Achilles. Take your pick, because the end result—at least under these particular conditions—is the same."
Last edited by: ggeiger: Mar 1, 19 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything about that shoe looks horrendous.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly, it is quite heavy and very expensive.

Hopefully the 2 others in the same "line" will be lighter and more reasonably priced.

IMO, seems very similar to a Bondi... but more expensive
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Everything about that shoe looks horrendous.

i don't know if i'll like the shoe. and i have some concerns. but i think it looks great. and i see this as a complete capitulation by asics on a narrative that it kept flogging for a generation, and i salute asics for making that move.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Complete capitulation? Asics is stuggling in the USA and they need to build that back up. Maybe jumping into the functionally supportive designs is a start. It’s important to remember they are a global brand and they are killing it in the fastest growing running market and are doing quite well in Europe too.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
ASICS MetaRide :

Zero drop (feeling like 4 or 5mm ?)
Lot of midfoot cushion
Stiff sole
Rocker

Look familiar ?

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/...iew-rock-n.html#more

A big change for ASICS, hopefully leading to lighter and more affordable shoes, in the range(s) of Bondi, Clifton, Rincon, Razor 3, Kinvara...

I can't see how a superexpensive shoe is your hope for more affordable I think it's the reverse it will bring prices up.

It's certainly an interesting shoe but 250 euro retail price is at least 20% to high me things.
I think we see thethe with the pegasus turbo while cheaper than the vaporfly
It's still above everything else in price than before so it's not really a trigger down effect
The zoom fly is but again at a very high price that's not mid price level it's again upper price that's above what they used to sell slower than previous faster racing shoes. Admiringly more cushioned but for an fast athlete slower...
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike will quickly overtake asics in asia id guess since its been branded as fastest. And actually is fastest

Asia is all about brands and logos

As an aside always ran asics and switched to Vaporfly recently Ran in asics again fir the first time in a few months and was stunned at how slow i ran and how bad they felt
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was refering to Sam statement in the review (link), saying that 2 other shoes in the same line will be released later.

For me, on a marketing point of view, it make sense to release first the most expensive (flagship), then release cheaper models, using the desire / narrative induced by first model.

On a branding point of view, this new shoe being so different from other ASICS shoes, there is a need for credibilisation amongst ASICS brand followers, and this can be done through high price (you know, for brand addicts, expensive = cool).

OK, at the end of the road, it is going to be a Bondi or Clifton copy, at same price, but with a ASICS logo, and a brand legend (ASICS research, super expensive METARIDE, ...), wich is obviously better than be perceived as a HOKA / Saucony / Altra / ... me too product.

To say it differently, it is better for ASICS and ASICS reseller to say, speaking about future affordable version of the METARIDE :
"this is the affordable version of the super techno and super expensive METARIDE, developed by ASICS on totally new concepts"
than
"this is a copy of HOKA Bondi/Clifton because we realized that our usual 10mm drop / no midfoot cushion models we push from the 80s are clunky and push our customer to overstride and destroy their knees, hips and back.... sorry for not having done that sooner... we are so stubborn... sumimasen deshita"

As Slowman said, "complete capitulation of the narrative..." but they just cannot say it like that :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics biggest problem in the US is that it has completely fucked up the 2000 series for the last, oh, four or five iterations. Couple that with some seriously poor at-once availability and retailers transitioned into easy stock with Saucony and Brooks.

Asics still has a strong global presence, and as Dave mentioned, is still growing considerably in emerging markets. I think this is really just a nod in this direction, a lot like the original 33 line-up of shoes was.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intriguing. I've had many pairs of Kayanos and a few other Asics but have been in Hokas the past few years. An Asics max cushion shoe with low drop sounds pretty good. But dang those things are hideous. Nice tasteful black upper but then the bright red is glaring. Maybe I'd paint the red parts black if I got them. See if they're $50 a year from now and I might try them.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

From what i have seen, the Asics 33 product range was positioned "natural running" in the "Mix the run" narrative.
The idea was (If I understood well) : "use our usual ASICS products for the bulk of training, and use the 33 as "another shoe" for practicing a bit of "natural running"

Now, the MetaRide seems positioned for the BULK of running.
Not a "secondary shoe", but "main shoe". In competition with Nimbus/Cumulus/...

It is courageous for ASICS to enter such a change.
"Complete capitulation of the narrative" is not an easy decision. It is great they can move from their usual old design principles.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Complete capitulation? Asics is stuggling in the USA and they need to build that back up. Maybe jumping into the functionally supportive designs is a start. It’s important to remember they are a global brand and they are killing it in the fastest growing running market and are doing quite well in Europe too.

you're the one who knows this, not me. but i'm just wondering, where is asics killing it in tech running? not in "commuter pants" or the "footpatrol" line. i keep track of all the footwear brands here in this community, and have since 2007, so i have a linear, historical progression that has kept track of this. and yes, it's just us i'm polling. but our folks are quicker to understand and respond to a trend. in 18 months our folks went from a 6 percent nike marketshare to 20 percent, even with hoka, when limited to the choice for racing.

i'd like to watch where asics is strong or surging - in tech running only - and see how that changes over time.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
really not similar to Hoka at all

firm top, softer bottom for the midsole

huge toe spring with a rocker bottom more pronounced than any Hoka

This model is a proof of concept. Its about locking in the angle of the ankle and reducing fatigue over longer distances

there will be additional models in the future at lower costs and lighter weights using similar platforms

Its easy to pass judgement on this model when you see pictures of it, it looks very different then anything else out there right now, running it in though you can feel what they are trying to accomplish

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, do you like it or not?
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do, it is a very unique feel on foot. Walking feels odd to begin as there is so much toe spring. running in them feels totally different as the foot is moving through the cycle much faster

The upper is absolutely beautiful construction, very nice mesh's and very well done

When ASICS first said it would be firm closest to the foot I was concerned as step in feel is important, but after they explained their research and I was able to have it on foot I'm not concerned at all and don't notice that part of it.

I think this is very good direction that ASICS is going but it will all come down to if the public accepts it

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you feel it's best for racing or training and what distances?
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS chasing HOKA finally ? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a racer at all, wasn't meant to be one

this is a daily log a bunch of miles trainer

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I fully agree it is a good direction for ASICS to follow.
At last they move from always the same old recipe for trainers.

As you tested it, did you test comparatively to a Hoka Bondi for exemple ?

I had not tested it yet, but IMO it is looks very similar to Hoka Bondi (high stack, low drop, big rocker).
I understand ASICS is pushing a narrative of research and originality (instead of being simply a me-too product), but the result is surprisingly similar to the Hoka "basic principles", isn't it ?

Hopefully I will check that by running them soon.
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Mar 3, 19 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had Bondi going back to the very original one, I may have been the first retailer in NY state to sell them. These may somewhat fit in the same category but they do not feel remotely similar.

Bondi while having a rocker it’s not really felt. You know there is a big rocker in the ASICS.

Hoka OG premise was a big cushioned shoe to protect on downhills during ultra trail races, they just so happened to then work for a whole lot more. The rocker was built to accomadate the huge amount of foam that the foot couldn’t flex.

So maybe somewhat similar but built with a different purpose and a very different feel

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally had a run this morning on the pair I picked up. Totally agree with your impressions. Walking at first is very strange. After a few miles running, you just kind of settle into the motion and it disappears. I thought the show was really firm and I could tell it was heavier than what I’ve been training in (Vaporfly training runs and 4% for racing). These are my first Asics as I’ve just never been drawn to the brand.

I think compared to the Hoka Carbon Rocket I ran in on Monday, the metaride is firmer, rocks more, and is heavier, but I’m not an expert and I really just go by what feels good. Hoka carbon feels better than the metaride, on first run impressions, but neither of them feel as good to me as the vaporfly. Then again, a guy in my run group got the vaporfly and hated them on his first run and never tried them again.

I’ll get more miles on them leading up to LA Marathon this month when I’m doing slower or recovery days but for now I’ll prefer vaporfly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next