Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [greenback] [ In reply to ]

It amazes me the number of people that join a forum to plug a product.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [Philb] [ In reply to ]

So the fact i do not sell asea and have a real personal testimonial isn't good enough?

(makes popcorn, gets ready to be entertained)

greenback wrote:
So the fact i do not sell asea and have a real personal testimonial isn't good enough?

No it isn't, it is just anecdotal information. It is not any kind of study, all other factors have not been eliminated. As an example, I could say that riding on the trainer this winter caused me to loose over 2" off my waist. While the 2" is true, I also swam and ran indoors and I "think" it was more my swimming than anything else. Oh, I just remembered, I used Nuun with my water, it must have been that.

The point is, personal opinions / endorsements are only that, they are not in any way a scientific study or result which can necessarily be duplicated.

I'm a far bigger believer in the capacity of the human mind than these miracle cures. In other words, if you believe it, it doesn't really matter what the "it" is as long as you believe. Sorta like Religion but that's a different topic.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [sealover] [ In reply to ]

sealover wrote:
Recent research results from the Human Performance Lab on athletes who use ASEA...

MULTISPORT: New research shows link to drinking ASEA and likely Glycogen sparing for athletes:

Study finds that after drinking ASEA for one week, athletes experienced shift in 43 metabolites
Salt Lake City, Utah -- ASEA, LLC announces the release of groundbreaking findings at the Experimental Biology 2012 Conference in San Diego of a new study from the Human Performance Laboratory showing increased power output and endurance among competitive athletes.
The study supervised by Dr. David C. Nieman, DrPH, FACSM at the Human Performance Laboratory, Appalachian State University, found that after drinking ASEA athletes experienced massive free-fatty acid mobilization in the blood PRIOR to exercise to a level normally found only after heavy exercise.
"These are very significant findings," said Nieman. "Our research demonstrated that ASEA is causing mobilization of free-fatty acids PRIOR to exercise, making this source of fuel available at the outset of exercise or competitive performance. This has important implications, especially regarding glycogen sparing, which is something every athlete tries to achieve." Glycogen sparing is the use of non-carbohydrates as a source of energy during exercise so that the depletion of muscle glycogen is delayed. When glycogen is spared the body burns fats for energy, making a greater contribution to an athlete's efforts during the initial stages of a race. This leaves more glycogen for the later stages of racing or exercise, and muscle fatigue will be delayed.
The research found that after drinking ASEA for one week, athletes were experiencing a shift in 43 metabolites.
"We have rarely seen such a drastic difference. For 43 of those signals to change, that is a quarter of the metabolite profile that we are monitoring. It is a huge bump in metabolite shifts that are due to the ingestion of just one product," said Nieman.
What do these metabolite shifts mean for athletes?
"Athletes actually started the exercise after drinking ASEA with a lot more of these free-fatty acids in their blood. The reason that is important is that the muscles will actually use that as fuel, sparing the muscle glycogen and the use of amino acids which is what we found as we analyzed the data," said Nieman.
"Every understanding from the literature is that these probably came from the fat stores in the abdominal area," said Nieman. "So if you drink ASEA we found that the fats go up in the blood. If you're not exercising, those fats will still be used to support the body's metabolism for life."
Simply drinking ASEA for seven days mobilized fuel stores in the body from abdominal fat. For those that want to burn more fat during exercise ASEA is ideal. Even without exercise the freed up fat stores will be used by the body as fuel.
Although this is the first laboratory study of ASEA on athletes, many endurance athletes have been drinking ASEA and noticing improvements in their race times, recovery after racing/training, etc.
James Lawrence, World Record, Most Triathlons 70.3 races, said, "I've experienced all these tremendous benefits over the last few years when I'm doing all these world records, and maybe didn't understand it, but was fearful to go off the product. With this new study it's really helped me understand why I don't get sore, and why I'm able to just lock in this strong pace and hold it for so long."
Cody Waite, professional Xterra triathlete, had this to say about Dr. Nieman's study. "My thoughts on the study are that I kind of already knew this through my own experience with the product. But at the same time it's great to have that solid evidence that laboratory test make official. That gives it that official stamp of approval from the scientists and then the stamp of approval from lead athletes."
Diana MacManus, three-time national swimming champion said, "With ASEA I've noticed that my times and my meets have improved significantly. Learning about the research behind ASEA boosts my confidence and reinforces what I already know." Typically, muscle glycogen is reduced in the body during a single or many groups of energy expenditures. For example, during a single sprint muscle glycogen may deplete by 25% to 30% of the resting levels. Similarly, at the end of longer durations (60 to 90 minutes) of high, moderate and low exercise muscle, glycogen will be dramatically reduced or depleted.
The study included 20 fit athletes in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-based, cross-over study. After baseline testing for VO2Max and body composition, one-half of the athletes drank four ounces of ASEA each day for seven days. The other one-half of the athletes drank four ounces of a placebo for seven days. Then all athletes completed a 75-km cycling trial, with blood drawn prior to the trial, immediately after the trial and one hour after the trial.
After a "washout" period in which none of the athletes drank ASEA or the placebo, a seven day cross-over study was conducted. The original ASEA group drank the placebo and the original placebo group drank ASEA for a seven day period. Then all athletes completed a second 75-km cycling trial, with blood drawn prior to the trial, immediately after the trial and one hour after the trial.
The research demonstrated that drinking ASEA taps into the body's largest energy reserves, freeing fatty acids from adipose tissue, BEFORE exercise or athletic competition.
"This unexpected mobilization of fatty acids in theory will lead to better endurance in athletes, assisting athletes to maintain a certain pace for longer periods of time," said Nieman.
The research found that the release of fatty acids is coming from fatty adipose tissue, the body's source of abundant, available energy. Adipose tissue is fat stored around the organs of the body, with the most common and largest fat store being the abdominal area. Adipose tissue triglycerides represent the largest energy reserve in the human body. Utilizing these stores is critical for prolonged endurance exercise.
The study also demonstrated that the athletes in the study experienced a massive increase in blood levels of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) after exercise. This could indicate less oxidative stress on muscles. Further research is being conducted to determine the implications of this increase.
"This study is the latest in ASEA's commitment to ongoing research. The frontiers of redox signaling molecules and ASEA are constantly being pushed. This latest study is not a destination, but an on-ramp," said Verdis Norton, Chief Executive Officer at ASEA.

Human Performance Laboratory
The mission of the ASU/NCRC Human Performance Laboratory is to investigate the influence of unique plant molecules (e.g, flavonoids such as quercetin, luteolin, and epigallocatechin 3-gallate or EGCG) on age-related loss of muscle mass (sarcopenia), muscle mitochondrial biogenesis, and exercise-induced changes in immune function, oxidative stress, and inflammation. The Human Performance Laboratory is located at Appalachian State University North Carolina Research Campus and is affiliated with the North Carolina Research Institute which brings together eight universities as well as researchers at Dole, General Foods and Monsanto.

I'm raising an eyebrow on this. And just one eyebrow.

What was the control group in the study, or was there one?

Were the participants blinded? Or for that matter, the researchers?

I'm relatively open-minded on this sort of thing, but just curious on the research.

Also, I interviewed a guy who says this stuff is basically useless:

"Are You Getting Scammed By Alkaline Water, Ionized Water, Magnetic Water, Oxygenated Water or Structured Water?"
at
http://goo.gl/WVoev

Hope it helps,

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com

personal testimony is useless especially when it takes the place of well conducted research investigating the product.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [npage148] [ In reply to ]

I've got an unfortunate friend that is trying to sell this stuff. It is hard to convince intelligent, but not smart, people that there is more to science than science-y sounding sales pitches.

Where ever you have someone on line that can point out the short comings and nonsense of ASEA, you'll find a group of new users giving testimonials. I thought it was just paid surfers and bots, but I think the MLM nature has "entrepreneurs" doing the dirty work for free.

here is another assumption.
you have 2 posts here
you are a shill

greenback wrote:
It never amazes me to see people with no experience or knowledge of something making complete assumptions about it just to keep someone else down. Asea has given me my life back, after 16 years of sensory neuropathy pain I can feel my toes, don't have stinging sensations, or stiff sore muscles anymore asea is real and is not a scam and anyone who tries it will soon discover that the world is full of people who just love to hate.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]

This was a double blind clinical trialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k4up4kwyA More clinical trials are being done.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]

i broke my foot years ago, stiffness and tenderness remained,and couldn't flex my toes. after strongest antibiotics and no results, x-rays showed what ever causing the drilling pain above my eye had damaged my sinuses. The pain went away but the area remained very sore and puffy. twisted and pulled my little finger, nothing I did improved it, just grew worse until i could hardly bend my finger. It also ached all the time, was very sore as well. Tried a bottle hoping to help my little finger. My finger improved some, but nothing to brag about, but the soreness above my eye went away...first time in years, and I was able to flex my toes. after I finished the bottle, I realized I'd been taking half the recommended dose. Now, I did look into Asea. There website tends to lead people to think their office bld is more than it is. They rent an office space in an office building. they share a receptionist with other businesses, and they were reported to the BBB regarding money, but the problem was resolved. The potential for making the first level millions via multilevel marketing is many times over what a pharmaceutical company would offer for a patent on a product that has very few if any studies that would be approved by the FDA. Under FDA guidlines, they would have to focus on specific diseases/problems, and develop very rigid protocols for use. Why a pharam co would be interested in shelving something so effective is rather mysterious, when it could get insurance companies to pay for it if the product had FDA approval....there would be no end to sales, and as time went on, more and more problems or diseases would be targeted using ASEA. EVeryone keeps saying a pharm co wanted to buy Asea out, but what pharmaceutical company was it? There were also other new MLM medcially focused products with offices in the same building. Utah must have some fairly flexible laws, and or tax system to draw so many MLM's. I wouldn't claim Asea doesn't work because it worked for me, but it is no doubt a money making machine for those who started ASEA. and at the same time get their research paid for by people using it...or enough validation to sell when the price is high enough. In the mean time, caution.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [quita] [ In reply to ]

Wikipedia: Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect.
Last edited by: nickag: Jun 29, 12 4:15

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [downtowndj] [ In reply to ]

downtowndj wrote:
(makes popcorn, gets ready to be entertained)

Here you go...

This is from the App. State Website

http://ncrc.appstate.edu/research-focus

Scroll down and click on the 2nd video. Dr. Nieman played the Lance card.

Also, I find it interesting that on the "Research and Fitness News" tab, http://ncrc.appstate.edu/news-media, there is no of this ASEA water. Nor any mention of 'metabolite boosters'.

I would think that if this product were legit and under the study of this university that there would be something about it. So, I did a search on their site: http://ncrc.appstate.edu/...nd-upcoming-research

2 hits for ASEA. No links, abstracts, or descriptions. There are just as many "[Fruit] versus Gatorade" studies.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [CJS25] [ In reply to ]

I've literally skimmed over this just now, but basically they're saying oxidants are good? I thought we were meant to get rid of oxidants/free radicals
It sounds like the exact opposite of green tea to me

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [Blatant] [ In reply to ]

Sorry, didn't intend to reply to your post, just wanted to post...

My assessment is ASEA it is a scam, otherwise they wouldn't need that horrible, complicated, no-money making scheme to sell it. The sellers would be able to make money simply by selling the product, but not so, they make almost nothing,,,, unless they go out and get hundreds of people to work for them and then put them in different groups,, it is a mess. No legitimate product would need that BS to be able to make money. The only way it makes money is by the people who sell it, using it! Literally the seller HAS to buy it and use it. What a scheme.

By the way, I did an ASEA review search, had to go ten pages to get past all the hype created by people who have barely used it. If only we humans would use our craziness for good.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]

i've been away too long.

stuff like this provides great entertainment.

if people lack enough substance to buy it then by all means.

smart buying habits Americans are not necessarily known for.

you'd better laugh all the way to the bank and then i hope you can look straight into the mirror in the morning.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern

The patent referenced on the ASEA website is here:

http://www.google.com/patents/US6117285

It actually seems that what they are doing is electrolysis to salt water which would produce some oxidative species like chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, ozone, etc. The patent goes on to say you could use this water to disinfect medical instruments.

You can actually buy one of these systems for your swimming pool that plugs into wall outlet so that the pool makes its own chlorine and you don't have to add any.

Effectively your drinking pool water. I could imagine that would have some big effects on isolated cells (like they show in the non-peer reviewed research articles). Also explains why the seals out light because UV will neutralize H2O2 and Cl2.

Now whether drinking pool water is a good thing for sport performance seems like a huge gap in the research. That one Appalachia state test which showed that metabolite levels changed is almost scary because who's to say that's a good thing (although that study doesn't look published in any peer-reviewed journal yet).

Personally I drink enough pool water as is and don't need to pay any money for it.

Reading this thread has caused a lot of stagnant energy to build up in my brain.

sealover wrote:
This was a double blind clinical trialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k4up4kwyA More clinical trials are being done.

Which peer-reviewed journal will this be appearing in? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't dare question the impact factor of YouTube, but I'd imagine that such groundbreaking research will find its way to a top-tier journal soon, won't it?
Last edited by: DrPete: Jul 21, 12 19:27

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [DrPete] [ In reply to ]

http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/26/1_MeetingAbstracts/lb713?sid=c4261da1-f8d2-4932-94a0-ca395b0d1d8e

I think the smoking gun here is the multi-level marketing. MLM products have a long history of relying on personality based sales and usually have products that range from dubious (Advocare) to mediocre (Avon). Rarely are truly effective products sold through this method because it is really an inefficient way to get to the market....unless the salespeople ARE the market. *this is a hint*

Retailers know their shelf space is limited and expensive. They demand products that sell, and those products are usually those that are proven effective. In today's data rich environments, it doesn't take long for an effective product to come to the front of the market. ....and it doesn't take long to find out those products that aren't.

There's a saying that you can't know more than an efficient market. Lots of people have lost their ass trying.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/

sealover wrote:
http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/26/1_MeetingAbstracts/lb713?sid=c4261da1-f8d2-4932-94a0-ca395b0d1d8e

Yeah, kinda what I thought. My specialty has journals like that too. It's also a meeting abstract, not a publication.

Also, if this is your "landmark study," showing absolutely no performance benefit to consuming ASEA water (good job, though, picking out the biomarkers after the fact and overhyping their significance--it's a common practice after a study falls on its face), I'm thinking your magical tonic won't be long for this world.
Last edited by: DrPete: Jul 22, 12 13:51

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [mgalanter] [ In reply to ]

to depressed, as far as the bracelets that you ridiculed and the oxygen products, maybe you should do some research on them because they work, better yet why don't you try them when you get sick instead of taking a pill you might be surprised.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [vix] [ In reply to ]

You know what works? The placebo effect. Unless you have some double blind studies showing that garbage is better than placebo you've got nothing. There really is a sucker born every minute it seems.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [vix] [ In reply to ]

Vix,

Next time you get sick, you should try marinating a bull penis in red wine vinegar and eucalyptus, freezing it, then cramming it up your ass for 12 hours. You might just be surprised...

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]

Holy sh+t that's the funniest thing I've read all week! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Prev Next