Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AG drug testing: so, what changes? [theriad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling is the perfect example of what I fear (and what others hope) will occur in triathlon-that the lack of failed tests will be indicative of a clean sport when the reality is that it is more indicative of a faulty testing program. The Bio Passport is the perfect example-blood results that would indicate blood doping to a second year medical student are being ignored because they fall within the margins. In cycling, the Anti-Doping restrictions have always, in principle, been about catching the cheaters but the reality is that they have been just that-restrictions about how far you can bend the rules.

But the train has left the station on the debate whether or not the WTC should institute a testing program, so now the issue is-how do they get it right? Maybe approach deterrents from the penalty side and not the testing side? In Europe, a 2-year ban for doping is not a deterrent to a kid whose alternative to cycling is working in a Belgian factory, and neither is the drug testing itself since it's easy to circumnavigate. But what if the WTC makes the penalties for doping so severe that that is what deters the athlete? That is a very dicey proposition but I fear that Drug Testing is too imperfect to actually deter a sophisticated athlete and while I think (and hope) that Age Groupers aren't using PED's, I'm too cynical to ever think that testing will prove me right.

So, what penalties will make doping "just" for a Kona slot too risky to consider? I'm sure we can think of something.
Last edited by: eganski: Sep 17, 09 4:31
Quote Reply
Re: AG drug testing: so, what changes? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of going off site, but I think if you could give a person 24 or maybe 48 hours it would work. Not sure if you have ped's in your system what an additional 20-44 hours would do to making the PED's less detectable?

Get to a lab in 4 hours? This not always possible, at work could you just leave when you wanted to get tested within 4 hours? Most labs probably have 9-5 hours, if I get a call at 10 am it would not be likely with work committments I could get to a lab by 2 pm with disrupting work. Do you think the Venture capitalists that own WTC could report to a lab in 4 hours at all times if called upon?
Quote Reply
Re: AG drug testing: so, what changes? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how out of competition testing works in the USA, but in UK you only have to notify testing authority of your whereabouts for one hour each day. If you are chosen for testing they will turn up at this location and wait for the full hour for you to turn up. Failure to appear counts as a strike, 3 failures means you get a ban.

So in the UK, there is no risk of testers turning up at work to test you, as you determine the location of the test. You can also change your location for testing online at short notice.
Quote Reply
Re: AG drug testing: so, what changes? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
The problem is some endurance PED's can kill you, as we've seen with the cycling in the 90's. I wouldn't put it past a guy willing to spend a grand for .1 less of a gram on thier bike to take a stack during the race that is potentially dangerous. I'm usually a big proponent of PED's (however that's another tirade) but the ones used by endurance athletes are just way too dangerous.

So now I have to allow the triathlon police to come test me in order to save some idiot who thinks qualifying for Kona is worth putting his life at risk this way? Personally, I'd rather just let the idiots kill themselves. I still did that triathlon just as fast.

What he said.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Last edited by: mmrocker13: Sep 17, 09 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: AG drug testing: so, what changes? [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is now like this in the US, but was just implemented this year. It does make the process easier, but they have also now decided not to call athletes if they are not around. This is a big problem for a sport like triathlon, where you are constantly out on the road biking and running. I had to get called the last 3 tests I had, and would have missed them all if they had not called.

The whole point of the OOC test is that it is random and you don't know it is coming. with 24 or even 4 hours notice, you could do sketchy things to avoid a positive test. The reason they don't let you out of their site as soon as the notify you is so you can't do this kind of thing.

it's also very inconvenient for athletes to have to go to a seperate place to get tested. it is nice that they can test you right where you live. The samples have to be flown to one of two facilities in the US anyway, so having you go to a "lab" is usually not really that helpful to the process.

So I have only gotten one answer on cost.
Quote Reply

Prev Next