Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AG Nat'ls water temp?
Quote | Reply
Anyone in the Edgewater Beach area who can confirm the Erie temp is really the 73 degrees USAT said yesterday it is? I saw a live water quality report from today with 77.1 - just curious - 77 seems like wetsuit ditchable! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [linhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam in Lake Eire about 5 miles west of Edgewater on Sunday, and then again last night. I didn't have a thermometer, but it was definitely warmer than 73... 77+ sounds closer. I was warm last night WITHOUT a wetsuit by the end of my swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linhog wrote:
Anyone in the Edgewater Beach area who can confirm the Erie temp is really the 73 degrees USAT said yesterday it is? I saw a live water quality report from today with 77.1 - just curious - 77 seems like wetsuit ditchable! Thank you!

It's not worth speculating if the temperature is borderline. Last year it was non-legal temperature during the Friday practice sessions but at 6:00AM Saturday when they took the "official" temperature it was legal. If you need/want the wetsuit, I would bring it to the venue on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the National Data Buoy Center. They have two buoys near the race site. One is reporting 77 degrees and the other 77.8 right now.

President Team FeXY
http://www.teamfexy.org
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [sggrant89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome- thank you!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great- thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI today's disparity:
USAT website = "Water temperature at Lake Erie is currently 71 degrees Fahrenheit as of 8/7/2019."
Edgewater Beach water report from Northeast Ohio Water Quality Data Live feed = "77.7"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember of course, that these two temperatures are taken at different depths... And the only temperature that matters is the official water temp an hour before the race, taken in the right spots at the right depths as specified in the rules. It's easy to get a surface reading that is 5 or more degrees warmer than at 36"
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that seems reasonable. Thank you for this input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Additionally, a one time reading in the morning by USAT is going to be significantly different than a buoy that records data repetitively throughout the day as the water heats and cools with the sun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was curious how deep they take the water temperature. Couldn't find an answer by googling it. Anyone know?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [oldtriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will take it as deep as they need to find 77.9 degrees. People, this WILL be a wetsuit swim, the powers that be at USAT will ensure it. Omaha in 16/17 was just too warm too fudge. This is close enough and its not supposed to be terribly warm the next few days.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
They will take it as deep as they need to find 77.9 degrees. People, this WILL be a wetsuit swim, the powers that be at USAT will ensure it. Omaha in 16/17 was just too warm too fudge. This is close enough and its not supposed to be terribly warm the next few days.
Agree with this... if it's close and they can find 77.9 somewhere, they will.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [oldtriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know USAT, because your rules are all weird... but for ITU it's 60cm (24" for those who are metrically challenged), taken in 3 spots around the course (one usually is the deepest part near the middle of the course. Usually it's the lowest of the 3 temps take, except where the temperature is above 27C (80.6F) in which case, the highest temperature is used (to determine if the maximum stay in water becomes an issue)...
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it’s close enough though there really isn’t all that much fishing going on though.

I remember Raleigh 70.3 I believe in 2012. Sat it was reported as 83. 16 hours later it was apparently wetsuit legal which surprised many athletes who didn’t bring the wetsuit.

But a water temp on surface of 78/79 it’s not really all that uncommon to then find cooler water 2 feet below the surface. They aren’t really being that untruthful imo.

It’s when it’s announced as low 80’s that they then “find” cold water is the dodgy part. But if it’s borderline to begin with then I can understand them finding a degree colder water.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will probably be on the line and really best not to worry about it like HandHeartCrown said. The day before it was warm, then some rain came in and knocked it down to right below 78 or whatever that line is.

Just bring a suit or skin and don't be uncomfortable not having one. It is what it is.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean the buoy data isn’t even showing temps about the threshold, doesn’t seem like they need to be fishy about this temp reading to begin with.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, the National Weather Service has an official reading of 75 so it shouldn't even be close to being an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
76 degrees and shortened to 750m
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
76 degrees and shortened to 750m

The waves are breaking 1-2’ close to shoreline, rolling swells along the buoy line on course. Definitely calmer than the past 2 days (3-4’ break through the whole bay).

The bigger question the last few days was the water quality and excessive e.coli levels after the rain. Reportedly that came down to below “poor” conditions. Poo water anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s looking like for some AG’s something has majorly happened.

U24 AG the fastest times have been ~10

30-34 fastest time was like ~26 mins.

Buoys breaking off? Which I’ve seen happen in a race. Group of swimmers just keeps chasing it, not fun.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 10, 19 4:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The buoys haven't moved and conditions haven't changed. I suspect a timing glitch.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes timing is probaly set to previous allotted times and I know they started 10-15 mins early. My guy was suppose to start at 7:06 and I think in water around 6:52 ish

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you tracking? I only see live video stream on their site.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nat'ls water temp? [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the USA Triathlon Event App. Live tracking
Quote Reply

Prev Next