Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I keep seeing posts deleted. I understand removing posts questioning the mental health of the alleged perpetrator, but some others seem harmless (like the one asking if you will be reaching out to her). Any idea what is allowed and what isn't here?

when i remove a post i don't want on the thread, any replies to that post get deleted (and replies to replies). that's why seemingly inocuous posts get deleted.

what i don't want are pics of the alleged perp, i don't want pics of her team, her coach, her dog, her family, or anything else. we're looking at this, we've interviewed a number of people, we have a lot more to interview, and i'd rather you all walk a little on this rather than run full speed until everyone knows a little more.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beats me, I have to agree with you that the photo, name, and number are pretty much ID equivalents. Over the years, I have noticed that Dan is very over protective of alleged perps although time and again, they are shown to be in the wrong. And the fact that she was DQ'd means the race officials have already judged her guilty of the violation. I do understand why Dan would remove the tri-team name though...we don't need to tar a bunch of innocent team members with the same dirty brush.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Diehl78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:
No . She was saying how she felt everyone was passing her and she rode her watts , it was very unusual that she would ever even say that, Kristen put 18 mins on her on the bike. We discovered it at bike check out . Oh and she smashed Kristen yesterday.

My apologies to Patriot Fans but we have a new deflategate (and I really do love Brady's comeback win at the superbowl to the point if I don't know if I was watching reality or if the NFL fix was on, but it was still awesome).

OK back to the thread. Even Lance didn't deflate Beloki's tires:

He just sent Vino on a wild goose chase down to Gap and had Beloki follow on that melting tarmac

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 19, 17 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
I keep seeing posts deleted. I understand removing posts questioning the mental health of the alleged perpetrator, but some others seem harmless (like the one asking if you will be reaching out to her). Any idea what is allowed and what isn't here?

when i remove a post i don't want on the thread, any replies to that post get deleted (and replies to replies). that's why seemingly inocuous posts get deleted.

what i don't want are pics of the alleged perp, i don't want pics of her team, her coach, her dog, her family, or anything else. we're looking at this, we've interviewed a number of people, we have a lot more to interview, and i'd rather you all walk a little on this rather than run full speed until everyone knows a little more.

Dad said we can have a party when he is on vacation in Florida, so the rest of you guys, let's make sure the house is not burnt down while dad is out on vacation and doing private investigator work. Now let's keep the party going. Yes, I need Monday entertainment and this thread is it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:
No . She was saying how she felt everyone was passing her and she rode her watts , it was very unusual that she would ever even say that, Kristen put 18 mins on her on the bike. We discovered it at bike check out . Oh and she smashed Kristen yesterday.

WOW. That is awful.

Dan...all good on the deletions, I get it...except for the picture. Looking forward to reading what you uncover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:
stevej wrote:
Xing triathlete wrote:
Canadian Age Grouper Kristen Johnson (#1405) DQ'd for letting air out of competitor's rear tire just prior to the start of Syracuse 70.3. The incident occurred in transition just after the victim left her bike in transition to head to the swim start. Thankfully, this incident was witnessed and reported to race officials allowing the victim to have her tire reinflated prior to the start. Race officials investigated after the start and ultimately DQ'd Ms. Johnson. I can only imagine how many times Kristen Johnson has done this before without getting caught.

Who is Kristen Johnson?

She was the one that beat Ginny in Placid last year and took the last Kona spot. Funny too , when we picked up Ginnys bike both tires were flat. Aired them up and they never went flat again. Coincidence? Nope.

It would be pretty easy to check up race numbers of known competition in advance and go about sabotaging just before going to swim. Largely no one would know if you are fiddling with your bike or someone else's, provided you are all dressed up in your dry cloths with no visible numeric identification (or all dressed up in your wetsuit with cap in hand).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:

Not defending this Kristen person, hope she gets a lifetime ban if guilty.
But looking at finisherpix of Ginny at LP 2016, her bike leg pics show what looks like fully inflated tires. If they were flat when you retrieved them afterwards, then maybe something else was up?

https://www.finisherpix.com/...0_022334#1320_022334
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we rename this thread "Deflategate"?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Diehl78 wrote:

Not defending this Kristen person, hope she gets a lifetime ban if guilty.
But looking at finisherpix of Ginny at LP 2016, her bike leg pics show what looks like fully inflated tires. If they were flat when you retrieved them afterwards, then maybe something else was up?

https://www.finisherpix.com/...0_022334#1320_022334

In fairness even at 40 psi from a distance, things can look pretty inflated. You'd have to get down to sub 20 psi to see it in an image at a distance....and also in fairness to Kirsten, even if she gets someone down to 60 or 50 psi, it won't result in an 18 minute slow bike split. Maybe 5 min. Amazing how fast you can ride on 60 psi. Chance of flatting goes up though from a pinch flat.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if she knows Julie Miller?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't trust transitions anymore. Someone stole my brand new Roka hat I was planning on using on the run. It was 90 degrees with no shade and I'm pretty fair skinned. I was relying on that hat!
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is the next step to start installing go pros in transition. Maybe on light posts to get an aerial view? I mean, they don't actually even have to be real cameras if the RD can't swing it...but just the threat of it should at least deter this from happening more often.

Sad that it has to come to this, but we really shouldn't be surprised that when you gather a few hundred or a few thousand people in a competition, that you once in a while run into someone who's willing to do anything to gain an advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those times on IMLP 2016 are pretty jacked someone report it to Jerry
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F'n ridiculous. Lifetime ban is warranted for sure.

In my first few years of racing, I was pretty paranoid about losing equipment in transition but never really thought about someone messing with my bike.

I once had the straps of my bike helmet ratcheted fully tight which only took me a few seconds to fix. Nothing compared to the safety risk of deflated tires.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
...And I even had it done to me in a AG race awhile back, had an argument with a young dude that was shoving last second onto a prime rack that we lined up for hours earlier, and all of a sudden my brakes were screwed down tight against the rim when I started the bike. I wanted to kill that MF'er but couldn't find him after the race.
I remember that - my first win at that race. Noooo.. it wasn't me that did that!!! You rode impressively with the seized brake, and still had a fast run. All on rage, I'm sure!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
So is the next step to start installing go pros in transition. Maybe on light posts to get an aerial view? I mean, they don't actually even have to be real cameras if the RD can't swing it...but just the threat of it should at least deter this from happening more often.

Sad that it has to come to this, but we really shouldn't be surprised that when you gather a few hundred or a few thousand people in a competition, that you once in a while run into someone who's willing to do anything to gain an advantage.

I think lots of athletes would like this. A GoPro on a stick at the end of each large rack. When you finish racking your bike you could turn toward it, put your hand on your saddle and show your race number. Very easy then to go through the footage to tidy up any complaints.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone loosened the seat clamp on my bike one year at age group nationals in Tuscaloosa. Maybe half way on the bike, my seat tilted down& I nearly fell on the top tube. I rode the rest of the way on the back of the seat, hoping it wasn't going to fall off. The bikes were left in transition the day before the race, so plenty of opportunity for someone to "mess" with your bike.

Ridiculous that someone would do something to your bike, but it happens. If your bike has been sitting in transition overnight, best to check it over (brakes, seat clamp, stem bolts, etc). I'm pretty sure that USAT had the rule that you couldn't take your bike out of transition to warm up, so all you could do is check it over in transition.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:

I believe there are cameras already installed at some IM branded races though they are on the perimeter of transition. I have noticed them at the last few races I have done. These are probably more for bike thieves though when racking your bike over night and possibly if someone wanted to snag your bike after the race.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She ran a 3:30 marathon at IMLP, but runs a 26ish minute 5k in a sprint? And a 2:22 half marathon 3 months after the IM?

I'm calling BS on the IMLP time.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She claims sub 3 hour marathon on Facebook too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She ran a 3:16 at Kona. Hit all the timing mats.

I found a 10k result of 38:xx which I thought seemed a little slow given that Kona run.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
She ran a 3:30 marathon at IMLP, but runs a 26ish minute 5k in a sprint? And a 2:22 half marathon 3 months after the IM?

I'm calling BS on the IMLP time.

If the sprint you are mentioning is last years Guelph 2 then the run there is 7km. So the 26 minutes is consistent with her run ability.

The crime however does seem to fit her ability profile. Take her last Olympic distance race. Giving up 3 or 4 minutes on the best swimmers she can run almost 7-9 minutes faster than anyone in her age group. So the problem/competition for her comes from any good swim-bike athlete. Hmmm.
Last edited by: Impulse-Warp: Jun 19, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh damn, well that's different then. We don't have any sprints with runs longer than 5k here, so that's a little foreign to me.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The woman's husband (whose tire had been let out) took pictures of her doing it. Luckily he was standing next to the transition area and alerted officials immediately after calling attention to it. It was in the last 10 minutes of transition being open, so I guess anything can happen!
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [dab628] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dab628 wrote:
The woman's husband (whose tire had been let out) took pictures of her doing it. Luckily he was standing next to the transition area and alerted officials immediately after calling attention to it. It was in the last 10 minutes of transition being open, so I guess anything can happen!

That's good. I wonder if the reason he was being vigilant was suspicions based on things having happened before. Hard to deny photographic evidence...
Quote Reply

Prev Next