Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KJGrog wrote:
I agree with jerseydave77.

Sounds like this tire incident is the least of this ladies issues. Kristen Johnson isn't even her real name.

http://triathlonmagazine.ca/...onman-70-3-syracuse/

That article is troubling to read.

It's competitive cardio, for God's sake.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Xing triathlete wrote:
Xing triathlete wrote:
Canadian Age Grouper Kristen Johnson (#1405) DQ'd for letting air out of competitor's rear tire just prior to the start of Syracuse 70.3. The incident occurred in transition just after the victim left her bike in transition to head to the swim start. Thankfully, this incident was witnessed and reported to race officials allowing the victim to have her tire reinflated prior to the start. Race officials investigated after the start and ultimately DQ'd Ms. Johnson. I can only imagine how many times Kristen Johnson has done this before without getting caught.

Now that we're past the "two sides to every story" lets discuss punishment and consequences. The criminal mischief occurred at a WTC and USAT sanctioned event and she is a member of the Canadian Triathlon Federation. Suspension in all 3 governing bodies is a no-brainer but for how long? I Assume her team and coach have already dropped her-If not, would love their input. How about criminal charges or would Sharon need to be injured or dead for that to happen?

I don't think that part in bold is up to WTC. Local police would need to lay charges for that. Not sure what NY state law or Syracuse area municipal law would apply. Maybe some of the legal guys around here can pipe in, but it seems someone would need to approach the police to lay charges. If I recall in the case of Vancouver Canucks player Todd Bertuzzi who attacked a Colorado Avalanche player steve Moore, when criminal charges were laid for an on ice pre meditated attack, the police had to go out of their way to lay charges, its not like the NHL brought the case to the police....but that was public all over the media, so it was easy for the police to dive in. Seriously though tampering with the safety of another athlete is deserving of some charge in the court of law. This to me is way beyond sport.

In any case if you don't know the case I am referring to above here is the link on the full story: http://www.cbc.ca/...tuzzi-case-1.2756008

I personally think Bertuzzi should have never been able to play again. He viciously attacked Moore and broke his neck. As far as I know, Moore never played again.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Diehl78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:
stevej wrote:
How did Kristen Johnson finish before the DQ? Anyone know what her finishing time was or what place she would have been in her AG?

Correct. 3rd. Which is concerning because all of the top women in that age group were already on the 70.3 Worlds list. Except the victim in this case, who after the DQ took third, and was coincidentally (or not) the only one in the top 5 to claim the Worlds spot at rolldown. This was calculated beyond just a "competitor in her age group".

So it looks like the victim benefited from Johnson's conduct. Had Johnson not done what she did, she wouldn't have been caught, she wouldn't have been DQ'd, she would have retained her third place finish, and the victim would have been fourth. She should be thanking her. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Impulse-Warp wrote:
She doesn't even smile coming across the finish line. Guilty as heck.

That is your smoking gun? No smile?

I should have put it in pink I guess. Just being glib.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. I apologize.
I understand where he was coming from. I just found it interesting from a human nature perspective that the one person here who had met her was calling for hearing her side of the story, when the facts we knew already painted a fairly damning picture.

Thank you.

Apology accepted.

Important details have come out, that have helped fill in some gaps and explained a few things. That's all I was ever advocating for. I'm always for balance and the full picture of things. It's to counter the mad rush to judgement that we saw here - those people were right (and I never disagreed with them), but I always feel better and more comfortable knowing all the facts. Where there is a benefit of doubt, give it and let the other side or party tell their story.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve, do you know the lady very well? If so, did you know about the other stuff? Maybe you can fill in some gaps on whether it is a mental thing or just really bad judgement....Decent people can make bad choices, but to keep making them after being caught seems to be a bigger problem that just wanting to win a race..
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve, do you know the lady very well? If so, did you know about the other stuff? Maybe you can fill in some gaps on whether it is a mental thing or just really bad judgement....Decent people can make bad choices, but to keep making them after being caught seems to be a bigger problem that just wanting to win a race

Mark,

As I noted previously I do "know" her, but really only in passing.

Given all of the details and other information that has come to light, out of respect to all parties, I'm not going to be commenting on this any further. As Dan pointed out, the impact of this to all involved has been significant. Time to move forward and for those who do need help, I hope that they are able to get it.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 21, 17 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It really does not matter than no injury happened.

I'm sure the defense attorney will ague the exact opposite vehemently... and win. What is the legal precedent?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
is there anything that prevents her from changing her name and racing again?

Changing her name? Really? Of course there isn't. Racing again? That's Tri Canda's issue but I think they've got more important things to do than double-check every sign-up for "prior names."

RowToTri wrote:
She changed her name after her previous public and embarrassing conviction,

Speculation. Ever consider she got married?

RowToTri wrote:
Would triathlon Canada catch it if she applied for a license under a different name?

When's the last time you registered? It's a basic web-form and you pay a fee. This is Triathlon Canada, not the DMV for God's sake.

Your whole post is just insipid!
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
is there anything that prevents her from changing her name and racing again?

Changing her name? Really? Of course there isn't. Racing again? That's Tri Canda's issue but I think they've got more important things to do than double-check every sign-up for "prior names."

RowToTri wrote:
She changed her name after her previous public and embarrassing conviction,

Speculation. Ever consider she got married?

RowToTri wrote:
Would triathlon Canada catch it if she applied for a license under a different name?

When's the last time you registered? It's a basic web-form and you pay a fee. This is Triathlon Canada, not the DMV for God's sake.

Your whole post is just insipid!

Insipid? OK.

When I read the Triathlon Canada article, I somehow missed that her first name was always Kristen. I thought her first name used to be Michelle. My mistake.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious how WTC tracks individuals like this. She apparently has a troubled past.....as a teacher.....fraud arrest.....etc, etc. Easy to find her mugshot from 2015. All this under the name Tamburrino. So when did she become "Johnson"? It appears she started going by the name Johnson sometime since 2015(?). So, is it safe to assume that WTC has no way to track these individuals who pull this stuff against fellow competitors? She obviously had/has issues. Whats to keep her (or anyone) from changing her name again and signing up for another WTC or USAT event? Any protections/provisions in place for this?

ps....it seems a "ban" would be a joke since she could obviously change her name to "smith" next time.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jun 21, 17 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Insipid? OK.

Don't listen to him; your post was plenty sipid.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jun 21, 17 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ps....it seems a "ban" would be a joke since she could obviously change her name to "smith" next time//

Ya, and after she does all that reconstructive surgery to change her face completely, we will never recognize her atop the podium again. Ya ya ya.....
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Admitting herself to hospital may get her a diagnosis, but a leopard can't change its spots.

Part of me feels for her family - I think someone earlier called them 'innocent victims' - given her admitted previous criminal behaviour (using someone's {a friends'?} debit card without their permission) - and her current unethical behaviour, this is probably a life long pattern.

So the other part of me wonders if this is a(nother) wake-up call to her family (and friends) that she is not to be trusted and they should distance themselves from her for their own protection.
Tough to say... and you're right no matter where she might fall into a diagnosis... sociopath, borderline, narcissist, etc. she is essentially who she is. Or you get someone that shifts a little... i.e. a borderline that drops the self hate thing (with therapy) and becomes a raging sociopath. That's true for all of us... we are wired a certain way and that is how we are.

Innocent victims are part of the consequences unfortunately. I have a couple borderlines, sociopaths, psychopaths, etc. in my family... it's a real train wreck. Their problems are their problems though, people that really know me, know me and don't associate "their stuff" with me. I'm not a victim though, I just happen to be family with people that have issues... and loose friends with some.

This whole thread has opened my eyes to a whole other level of cheating... call me naive... or was naive to this.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to add any speculation to the topic but it is interesting that both were late additions to the race (neither were listed in the the bib list printed May 2) so Kristen didn't research it ahead of time.

Also, going through the AWA yearly race results I see they did race against each other at least 1 time before, in 2014 at 70.3 Worlds

http://www.ironman.com/...tail=1#axzz4kTc7MHfT

http://www.ironman.com/...tail=1#axzz4kTc7MHfT

Definitely seems to be a "troubled" woman.....and as someone else noted, if she hadn't messed with the bike she would have had a WC slot, karma's a B____

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Last edited by: Doctor_J: Jun 21, 17 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I'm still blown away by the fact that she took the time to research her competitors ahead of time, figure out who may be at/near the top of her AG, found her number and then executed the plan in transition. I'm lucky if I can remember my own Bib number going into a race
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
KJGrog wrote:

Sounds like this tire incident is the least of this ladies issues. Kristen Johnson isn't even her real name.

Maybe she got married?

...I think she got divorced. In the article below, they make reference to her parents, with the last name Johnson.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/...UJVq0GiBqdk.facebook

I must admit that I've wasted the last hour reading through all this. Very 'local' to me and I have good friends that also ride with Liberty. This all sounds like an unfortunate downwards spiral with divorce, public shaming in her profession (The 'blue pages' in the magazine Professionally Speaking are legendary, seen by all teachers in our Province, and there's no way to fly under the radar there), and now misconduct / shaming in a sport that is clearly an integral part of her identity. ...It's just sad to see.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
BLeP wrote:
KJGrog wrote:

Maybe she got married?

...I think she got divorced. In the article below, they make reference to her parents, with the last name Johnson.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/...UJVq0GiBqdk.facebook

I must admit that I've wasted the last hour reading through all this. Very 'local' to me and I have good friends that also ride with Liberty. This all sounds like an unfortunate downwards spiral with divorce, public shaming in her profession (The 'blue pages' in the magazine Professionally Speaking are legendary, seen by all teachers in our Province, and there's no way to fly under the radar there), and now misconduct / shaming in a sport that is clearly an integral part of her identity. ...It's just sad to see.

Well looking at Publicly Speaking revealed even more.....she must be a mental wreck.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I'm lucky if I can remember my own Bib number going into a race

LOL! I hear you. 😄
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:

That's how it's done: head down, look humble

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Research ahead of time - not a surprise to me. I know people who do this, and learning from them I have done so as well. However I lack the what-ever-it-is, to let it influence my day. Some get down (I don't stand a chance of beating her), some wag swagger (I can totally beat her), apparently others (case in hand) opt for sabatoge.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Impulse-Warp wrote:

That's how it's done: head down, look humble

Uh oh - he might be in trouble with Gene Simmons now for that hand gesture... https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.ec1573d556d4
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the least of his problems

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote

If their pressure was too high to begin with, she might have improved their rolling resistance.....[/quote]

I think this is what happened. She saw that there was too much pressure in the tire. By releasing some of the pressure she saved Ms Mongrain from having the tires explode during the race. We should be idolizing her instead of criticizing her.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next