Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious about one piece (and maybe this is none of my business):

'I thought this was my friend's bike and I was letting air out for her.'

It seems like complete BS, but did she continue to run with that line? That might have been something she repeated in the conversation with Jimmy R., but if it is true, who is this friend?

In the picture in the article, it appears Mongrain rides a Specialized Shiv. There is another Specialized Shiv (1407) right next to Johnson's bike. So, giving her the benefit of the doubt, I supposed there is a tiny chance that she could have somehow confused the bikes, but that would require that another bike owner step up and say that she had, indeed, asked her to relieve some tire pressure for her.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:

It seems like complete BS, but did she continue to run with that line? That might have been something she repeated in the conversation with Jimmy R., but if it is true, who is this friend?

In the picture in the article, it appears Mongrain rides a Specialized Shiv. There is another Specialized Shiv (1407) right next to Johnson's bike. So, giving her the benefit of the doubt, I supposed there is a tiny chance that she could have somehow confused the bikes, but that would require that another bike owner step up and say that she had, indeed, asked her to relieve some tire pressure for her.

Look at the photo and article again. Mongrain rides the Felt. The Shiv was Johnson's.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:

Mongrain rides the Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mongrain is riding a Felt
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious -- maybe lawyers and RDs in this group can weigh in, but now that there is evidence that she caused a condition that could have had significant safety consequences for another competitor, what would the liability issues be for USAT/WTC/other organizations if they allowed her to compete knowing this? I can't imagine any insurer being happy about having her in a covered event.

On the criminal stuff, considering we live in a country where a car can run over a cyclist pretty much consequence free, I wouldn't count on much happening there.

And, Slowman, thanks as usual for some fine adulting on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:

I guess that could be her out....have someone come forward who says they agreed to have her adjust their air pressure. I would like to hear what "the friend" has to say too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like complete BS, but did she continue to run with that line? That might have been something she repeated in the conversation with Jimmy R., but if it is true, who is this friend? //

Hey Travis, I think the time for looking for alternate scenarios is over now. Reminds me of the recent thread on the gal that talked that kid into killing himself. There are these possible scenarios people are pitting forward on what he might have done if this or that happened, but the fact is he killed himself, no need to wonder what he would have done. He did it.

It seems quite plain here that she did it, all the alternate theories however implausible are just that. None of them would make any sense in with the facts that are known now, and as occam's razor tells us, the easiest and most likely reason is most likely the correct one.

Looking at the rest of her checkered history it does appear that she either has some mental problem, or she just lacks a moral that most of us carry. I have seen both in abundance in many athletes in my career, both suggest that she should no longer compete in sport at this level.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
I'm sure you would feel 40psi immediately, especially at any race with normal roads full of cracks, potholes and speed bumps.

Also, what level were the tires left at when she was done or planning to be done (not sure if she was actually stopped early)? Maybe she planned to fully deflate the tire? Again, lots of pitchforks as always.

At Florida 70.3 I lept onto my bike and in short order there is a hard right turn. In the approach to the turn, I had no idea that my rear tire was flat. In the turn the rear wheel skidded out and I narrowly avoided a crash. So I was asking myself why in the hell that happened and only then noticed my disc cover seemed to be making a lot of noise and the ride was harsh and I looked back and saw the flat.

In the first couple minutes of the bike, there is a lot of adrenaline and a lot of things that you are trying to do all at once and I think it would be easy to not notice a very under-inflated tire.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, if she does receive a ban from some governing body or WTC, is there anything that prevents her from changing her name and racing again? She changed her name after her previous public and embarrassing conviction, which I would guess was part of an attempt to prevent that from coming up when applying for jobs, in social circles, etc. A background check would catch it, but jobs that don't do that wouldn't catch it. Would triathlon Canada catch it if she applied for a license under a different name?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that this episode has made it exponentially harder for her to hide now, at least in the sporting world. As for the working world, if she goes to all the trouble to change, perhaps if she"really" makes a change, it will be her next chance at turning her life around. I'm not against that, people need many chances in life, some more than others...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She doesn't even smile coming across the finish line. Guilty as heck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It seems like complete BS, but did she continue to run with that line? That might have been something she repeated in the conversation with Jimmy R., but if it is true, who is this friend? //

Hey Travis, I think the time for looking for alternate scenarios is over now. Reminds me of the recent thread on the gal that talked that kid into killing himself. There are these possible scenarios people are pitting forward on what he might have done if this or that happened, but the fact is he killed himself, no need to wonder what he would have done. He did it.

It seems quite plain here that she did it, all the alternate theories however implausible are just that. None of them would make any sense in with the facts that are known now, and as occam's razor tells us, the easiest and most likely reason is most likely the correct one.

Looking at the rest of her checkered history it does appear that she either has some mental problem, or she just lacks a moral that most of us carry. I have seen both in abundance in many athletes in my career, both suggest that she should no longer compete in sport at this level.

Agreed. Her statement was spontaneously uttered immediately when caught. She didn't plan that. She had nothing to say, and her "oh damn" nervousness made her say something. I wouldn't doubt with her criminal history that she will rationalize that and stick to it. To try to make sense of that statement is foolish.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You just described the current Democrat party. " Good one!
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:
She doesn't even smile coming across the finish line. Guilty as heck.

That is your smoking gun? No smile?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The updated Triathlete Canada article is pretty nutty too. Something is very off. I'm glad no one was hurt, the perpetrator is being held accountable and will continue to be, and it sounds like she is getting some help.

Feels like the right outcome in all of this considering the information if it holds.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Jerseydave77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with jerseydave77.

Sounds like this tire incident is the least of this ladies issues. Kristen Johnson isn't even her real name.

http://triathlonmagazine.ca/...onman-70-3-syracuse/
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I got everything mixed up. Thanks for the clarification!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
people defending, and saying wait to hear both sides are plain naive in this instance.

when there is smoke, there is fire. this right now is a blazing inferno. she's guilty as can be. she better be done with triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty!

Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying here, and didn't mean to make it sound like I wanted to keep kicking a dead horse. I was mostly just curious if that was just a spur-of-the-moment thing that she said but didn't say again, or if she somehow kept rolling with that as her defense. If the "friend" existed, they would have defended her by now.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KJGrog wrote:

Sounds like this tire incident is the least of this ladies issues. Kristen Johnson isn't even her real name.

Maybe she got married?

Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Where will we end up if we no longer trust journalists and rely solely on social media posts from our friends, family and members of our tribe to inform ourselves about what is happening in the world?

why do you love fake news!

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
On the criminal stuff, considering we live in a country where a car can run over a cyclist pretty much consequence free, I wouldn't count on much happening there.

Misdemeanor conviction with a slap-on-the-wrist fine is the most you could possibly expect. Not worth the time and effort of the DA and court staff, IMHO, to drag this person back from Canada for that. Being a pariah in the triathlon world now is already a much bigger punishment than the criminal justice system would likely end up meting out.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KJGrog wrote:

Earlier in this thread there was an article posted about her Xterra win, in which her name was Tamburrino. Same article also mentioned her parents, with the last name Johnson - so pretty safe to say it's her maiden name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If that's the best excuse for letting air out of a tire, she clearly didn't think it through.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
KJGrog wrote:

Earlier in this thread there was an article posted about her Xterra win, in which her name was Tamburrino. Same article also mentioned her parents, with the last name Johnson - so pretty safe to say it's her maiden name.

WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING HER?!?!?

Quote Reply

Prev Next