Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

935 vs Fenix 3hr
Quote | Reply
Looking at gettin a new GPS as my 910xt has been a little fussy. Looking at refurb Fenix 3hr or a 935. It’s about $150 difference. Is the 935 really that much better or is it just paying for fluff?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not read DCRainmaker's reviews on both and decide afterwards?
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did but I wanted to see what people’s actual thoughts are from the real world and years of use. Plus the Fenix 3 was written prior to the release of the 935.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my 935. I've had it about 4 months and no problems what's so ever. I charge it about once a week. It gets 12-17 of swim, bike, run in a week. Totally happy with it.
Flanders
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [Flanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flanders wrote:
I love my 935. I've had it about 4 months and no problems what's so ever. I charge it about once a week. It gets 12-17 of swim, bike, run in a week. Totally happy with it.
Flanders

What Flanders said! I come from a Fenix 3HR (and 920xt before that). I simply love my watch. It's much lighter than the Fenix line and it has pretty much all the same features (compared to Fenix 5). Go for it! You will love it too!
Last edited by: gguerini: Jun 26, 18 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
Flanders wrote:
Flanders

What Flanders said! I come from a Fenix 3HR (and 920xt before that). I simply love my watch. It's much lighter than the Fenix line and it has pretty much all the same features (compared to Fenix 5). Go for it! You will love it too!

Ditto on the 935.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the 935; I had a fenix 3 (non HR) and when it died, i was able to trade up to the 935. Similar features but I do like the updated features on the 935 and really like the slimmer, lighter casing. I loved my Fenix 3 but the 935 is even better.
Last edited by: CyclingClyde: Jun 26, 18 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
935 all day. Had the Fenix 3 and had GPS issues with it. 935 has everything you need and it is much lighter. Put a tempered glass screen protector on it and its just as good as getting the sapphired glass version of the fenix. The tempered glass will scratch if abused, but for like $3 you can just peel it off and put another one on. You can not tell the glass screen protector is on there when applied.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1 on the 935

- much lighter + more comfy band = noticibly better feel, as it I often don’t feel it
- much faster acquiring satellites
- software allows on the fly switching between sports, which you can’t do on a Fenix 3, ie, I often run to the pool for a work out, and run back. On the F3 that means ending each sport to start the new one, and 3 different files. On the 935 you can switch sports without having to end and save, so in this example you get 1 file with a segments for run 1, swim, run 2. This is essentially unlimited and very cool.
- configurable buttons! I always was annoyed about not being able to do manual laps in the Multisport (ie Triathlon, etc) mode, as the lap button is reconfigured to change sport. This programming is the same in the 935, but you can reconfigure a separate button, or combination of 2 buttons, for a second way to record laps. This is really cool!
- MUCH longer battery life, 935 = 24 hours, F3 = 17 hours
- no more snags on wetsuit sleeve with 935
The 935 does not come with a sapphire screen, but you can buy a custom fit hard glass screen saver on Amazon for under $ 10. Super easy to install, you cannot even see them, but when you get a small scratch you can just change your screen saver :-)
There are many other upgrades, but these are my favorites :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of the 935 look at the 735.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Instead of the 935 look at the 735.

I've owned both. Loved them both. Bumped to the 935 when I started training for a full 140.6. If you have no plans to race a full Ironman the 735 is great. The only feature I use on the 935 that was not on the 735 is the Training Status. I wish I could turn the altimeter on the 935 off as half the time it shows me running like 2k downhill as the morning temps change.

But I'd buy either one again. You can probably find some great deals on a 735 right now.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The battery life. I want it for 140.6

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the fenix 3 HR and would rather have the 935. For me it comes down to whether or not you will use it for an every day watch outside of working out. I don't love the Fenix as an every day watch, so would go with a 935 if I had it to do all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely as an everyday watch. Right now I use a vivoactive Hr and a 910xt combo. Most of the time I use the VAHR because it locks gps fast and is always on my wrist and ready. I prefer a HR strap of course but often just use the optical because it’s there and I don’t have to find it at 5am

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And remember is you swim a lot (500,000yds +) a year the seal in the barometer hole will fail, I've sent 3 back because of the barometer not working. Tech support even said the chlorine eats the seal. If you like most triathletes and don't swim then the 935 will work great for you.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both. I passed the Fenix 3 to my spouse when new toy syndrome made me get a 935.

Featurewise what the 935 has over the F3 (e.g. stress levels) are mainly things that you can use to rationalize the purchase beforehand because you think they will make an impact but in the long run you find that its more gimmick than anything else.

The form factor is different, the F3 is bulky, the 935 less so. I use the 935 as an every day carrier as part of a 'casual+sporty' attire. For more dressed up occasions I have other watches where the Fenix doesn't fit the bill either. I can see how a non beaten up F3 or F5 with leather armband could be used to fulfill both purposes if you're really tall and have big arms, otherwise the Fenix will, in my opinion, never not look out of place in a non (somewhat) casual occasion.

My spouse never picks up a GPS signal slower than I do (we go running together so we have compared this on numerous occasions). Sensor connectivity behavior is also pretty much identical for us without having done any scientific tests.

I'm finding that the F3HR is an extremely good value compared to how little it lacks and what its newer flagship siblings cost. On the other hand I wouldnt trade my 935 for my old F3 so I guess its also a matter of how hard pressed for the cash you are.
Last edited by: surrey85: Jun 28, 18 23:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tech support even said the chlorine eats the seal

First I've heard of that. I am aware there's supposition that swimming affects barometer/altimeter readings, but that's not been my experience. I'm 10 months into my ownership of a 935, swimming 3 to 4kms per week in a pool, and running and cycling as well. Still good.

IMVHO, the jury is still out on what's causing issues with the barometer. Garmin is certainly not posting anything official on their forums.

As for which one to get? I can only speak for the 935. It works well for all that I do - swim, bike, run, on and off road. Her indoors has used it for swim/run as well.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Jun 29, 18 0:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a fenix 3...no HR...get the 935...

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
920 is to Fenix 3
935 is to Fenix 5

Go 935 it’s great but also has more features and better battery life. If it’s also a daily watch go F5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Tech support even said the chlorine eats the seals.

Wrong. Sharks eat the seals!

Running joke at the moment: offroad tri this weekend in Santa Pola, Spain, and the news is doing the rounds about a great white spotted off Mallorca.

Needless to say the 'but I don't look like a seal' and 'I'll just poo in the water so it won't go for me' jokes are in full swing.
Last edited by: gahddenbooi: Jun 29, 18 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I scooped up a Fenix 3HR refurb off Amazon when they were going for $220 back in February and I'm still loving it! I've always worn diving watches and bigger watches so the size doesn't really bother me. It's got all the features I need plus many many more! Honestly it probably comes down to which look/size you want, and if you want to save a few $100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The F3 has a prior gen HR monitor than the 935. I much prefer the 935 gen of optical HR.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [ponderingfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about to get a refurb Fenix 3, at $220 is difficult to pass on, I dont really care about the "fancy" stuff, I am coming from a fr25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Looking at gettin a new GPS as my 910xt has been a little fussy. Looking at refurb Fenix 3hr or a 935. It’s about $150 difference. Is the 935 really that much better or is it just paying for fluff?

Take a look at the Coros Pace, almost all the 935 offers and gives running cadence as well. Really, really nice watch and at 299 a bargain but we sell them and they are just great. And in 3 colours ;-)

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: 935 vs Fenix 3hr [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on 935 great watch, worth it
Quote Reply