Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

920XT quick release question
Quote | Reply
Just curious if anyone has used the new 920 quick release was it redesigned from the 910? I know that the 910 suffered a lot of issues with the quick release and people loosing watches in swims etc and that was one reason I never purchased one but It would be nice on the 920 unless its the same setup I have no intentions on loosing a 500$ watch haha.

From what I can tell it seems to be the same setup although I am not 100% sure what caused the fault with the 910 release?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 910 and the quick release. I lost it twice, luckily in the pool. I brushed against the lane markers and it was apparently enough to rotate the watch and let it drop off the wristband. I didn't realize it at the time and had to walk back down the lane looking for the watch. I never lost it during an OWS but I could see it getting knocked off when you get hit by another swimmer.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I am glad I found this threat. I was just about to purchase one for my 920XT.

If that is an issue I rather go without QR and spend the extra secs in transition to get it off my wrist and on my bike and back.

I will follow this and seen what others have to say.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [bozo3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one on my 910 but decided it was more trouble than it was worth so changed to a 510 on the bike and keep the new 920 on the wrist. Only drag is the 510 doesn't have the new VO2 metrics so I still use the 920 on my wrist when don g just a ride.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a very positive click into the mount, just like the 910. If it's clicked in properly it's very hard to understand how a brush with the lane rope would knock it off. Still, folk say it must have happened so I guess that is the case. However, We've had the QR mounts since the 310, 910 and now the 920 and never lost a device yet. And yes, there have been some pretty hectic swims, nasty mountain bike falls (stayed in the bike mount) and falls off trails.

Folk seem to perceive the few posts in forums to be very representative of the wider market. My suggestion? Grab hold of one for yourself and see just how hard it is to click it in and out.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like another member, I race with a Forerunner on the wrist and an Edge on the bike (FR910 (now FR920) and edge 800 on the bike)

I didn't want to have to fuss with moving the FR to the bike during a race. and I just like the large display on the edge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the 920xt with the quick release kit the night before we had our 115 50 of the min pool swim in the morning. I mounted the 920xt on the quick release band I had from my 910xt. It fit perferectly.

I really didn't have time to figure out a lot of stuff so just turned it on for pool swim & forgot it. I had absolutely no problems wit hit moving around or worrying about losing it.
I was surprised & pleased to find it captured 5625 of the 5700 yards. figured the error is my inexperience.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get garmin express to work on my pc. It refused to load & I tried several tricks to get it to install but it keeps shutting down. Noy happy about that. I also want my files to be on my pc & haven't figured out how t odo that or what I should be using to upload it to sporttracks.

Barb

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This forum is full of sob stories involving lost 910s and the quick release. I mean full. Do a search. Then don't use a quick release.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize its full of stories of them being lost and I know many people who have had them lost. I was curious if the 920 quick release was different or improved over the 910 as it seems as though it is the exact same thing that answers my question and means I will not use one thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
This forum is full of sob stories involving lost 910s and the quick release. I mean full. Do a search. Then don't use a quick release.

I don't really understand this. I use the quick release and have never had an issue through all my training, 2 fulls, 1 half, and 4 sprints. Wetsuit, no wetsuit doesn't matter. It seems rock solid to me.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are also some of us that use the QR as it's very convenient, but just don't use the watch for the swim leg in races. What actionable data are you going to get out of the swim leg anyway? GPS on the wrist is not that accurate so nothing to be gained from the distance metric, the distance is what it is and everyone has to swim the same distance, and I can get the time from the course timing. You really need to have the watch in your swim cap to get reasonably accurate distance and who wants to bother with that in a race just to know if the race measurement is right? I'm guessing that many of the lost watches in the swim leg may be user error from not having the watch fully rotated and clicked in, but it's not impossible that with hard contact it could get knocked loose. I did lose mine in the pool once but I'm almost 100% certain I didn't have it fully clicked in.

At the start of the race I have my wristband on but my 910 head unit is on the bike. Then at the end of the bike I switch it to my wrist for the run.

I think the real issue is that if you are truly going to use the 920 for multisport and it will be your main head unit for the bike and your main running watch, then you want the QR. Using the 920 for biking and keeping it on your wrist is much less than optimal IMHO and the QR mount allows you to use it just like a bike computer.

If you are going to have a separate GPS bike computer then the only reason to get the 920 instead of a less expensive and lighter running watch is for the swim metrics. I like them but I'm still learning swimming, for a real swimmer that's grown up using the pace clock there's probably nothing really to be gained.

One downside to the QR band is it makes the watch taller. But since I don't have a separate bike head unit or a running watch, I can't imagine using my 910 without the QR.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I don't really understand this. I use the quick release and have never had an issue through all my training, 2 fulls, 1 half, and 4 sprints. Wetsuit, no wetsuit doesn't matter. It seems rock solid to me.

You are a sample of one, with 7 races. Get 1000 people, each doing tens of races, and you end up with 100 lost watches.

The QR is not 100% defective and will not fail 100% of time. If it did, it would never have left the drawing board and would have never been sold in its current iteration.

QR fails often enough to be a problem, and sooner or later it will fail for you too if you use it enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Gary Mc wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

You are a sample of one, with 7 races. Get 1000 people, each doing tens of races, and you end up with 100 lost watches.

The QR is not 100% defective and will not fail 100% of time. If it did, it would never have left the drawing board and would have never been sold in its current iteration.

QR fails often enough to be a problem, and sooner or later it will fail for you too if you use it enough.

Stating an opinion as a fact does not make it so. I simply shared my experience. I will agree that my statistics are no more scientific or reliable than yours, so let me throw out another one: 97% of the lost watches are due to operator error.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're with Gary Mc here. 100% of the users in our household using 2 x 310, 2 x 910 over the years with QR units have never had a problem. Given the security of the 920 QR mount on the wrist, I don't anticipate any problems with these either.

Most people who post to forums are whingeing about something and do not necessarily represent the views of the silent majority who just tend to get on and train with products that work. You can choose who to believe.

As suggested, grab a QR kit and see for yourself how securely it clicks into the wrist mount. Nothing is impossible, but I firmly believe that if the device is clicked in properly, you would have to be very unlucky for it to come out accidentally.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Jan 22, 15 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you get your Quick Release kit for the 920? Looks like it's 1-2 weeks processing from Garmin..... Who wants to wait weeks for that thing?
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [cmtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

In reality, you will probably end up with about 10 lost watches (8 due to user error) and those people will bitch & scream loud enough to make everyone think that 100 watches were lost by 100 people equaling a 100% failure rate.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have been using the 910 QR for sometime and have never had an issue with it and its gotten banged around here and there. Just as an observation, I have my eye on the Epix and it appears like there is no QR planned for that watch. Any ideas why they would do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. About 30 races with it. No problems with the mount on the 910xt. However, I've just gotten the 920xt and will race with the 910xt on the bike and the 920xt on my wrist. Just easier that way.

Meanwhile, after a 50 minute run, no VO2max reading for my run. Got it for my 1:15 bike ride indoors, though it was woefully low. I'll do a few more runs before I complain...much.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the QR on the 910 without losing a watch.

But I decided that moving it around was too much of a hassle and just increased the odds of me inadvertently hitting a button. And it seems like the buttons on the 920 are actually easier to press, which is a bit concerning. Especially with a wetsuit. I don't know why they don't make them at least a little recessed.

And personally I think I prefer the watch on my wrist on the bike. I just spin it so the face is on the bottom when I come out of the water. This way I just rotate my wrist a little when in the aero bars. Actually seems easier than looking down to find it in whichever mount I'd be using.

So my plan is to go with the velcro strap on the 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like I'm the only person on Earth who's using the quick release for 920xt and is really happy about it. To give another side of the story I'll share my experience. :-)

So far I've done three 70.3s, four Olympics, a few some sprints, some bike races and a couple of half-marathons, all with the same 920xt. This is the fourth year that I've been training with my 920xt. Yes, I do use quick release and find it quite useful but with some caveats.

Obviously the biggest risk for the watch is during the swim. Exposed watch on the wrist can easily come off the the quick release and there were numerous cases about that (I had no issues whatsoever during training though, nor in the pool, neither in the open water). That is why during the race I always cover the watch with the wetsuit sleeve. For the non wetsuit races I secure the watch with a couple rubber bands. With the bands there's zero chance to lose the watch in the water. It takes me less than a second to put the watch on the bike. The issue of the smart watch on the bike is that it displays only 4 data fields which is clearly not enough for the bike. That is why I coded a custom screen (which is a single data field actually) for the watch which displays 8 indicators (clock, time, distance, speed, cadence, HR, 5s power, 5min power). Once I've got the bike with the Di2 I started thinking about putting current gear on the screen as well. For me this screen is much more convenient than any Edge computer because I can define in this data field my own power and heart rate zones, and the current power and HR will be displayed with with relevant colors which is super convenient. The same applies to the speed. Each 10 km/h goes with it's own color. That is why I don't actually need to read exact speed value to see whether I'm going above or below 40 km/h. Putting the watch back to the wrist during T2 is just a fraction of a second. What I get is just a single nice and clean track in Garmin Connect and no need to purchase an Edge device. As the battery on my old trusted 920xt is starting to weaken I bought 935 (I don't see value in 945 given the price difference right now) and planning to run similar set up with the new watch as well :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [nostro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow old thread.
I have been using the QR for a 920 for several years. The retention on the wrist is very good. Really no chance of it coming off, even when removing a long sleeve wetsuit.
Retention on the bike has never been an issue either. I have a few different computer holders and they all hold it plenty tight.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT quick release question [nostro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nostro wrote:
It looks like I'm the only person on Earth who's using the quick release for 920xt and is really happy about it. To give another side of the story I'll share my experience. :-)

That makes three of us. For me, the only problem is that it's actually so tight that I sometimes end up pressing a button while trying to attach the watch to the bike mount (because the mount is in essence an arm attached to the bottle holder on my aerobars - the mount will give a little when I press the watch against it).

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply