Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

920XT cadence question
Quote | Reply
Just took advantage of the great used market for 920XT's. Upgraded from just a forerunner 15. Anyway I took it out for a run with just a normal heart rate strap and noticed it displayed cadence. I know it has step tracking but I was under the impression that I needed the HRM-TRI strap for running cadence. Do I need that strap for a more accurate cadence or does the watch do a good job without it? I bought a strap and its on its way I just thought I needed the strap for cadence.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: May 30, 19 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT cadence question [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The watch has an internal accelerometer that can track steps and cadence.

It works OK for the treadmill but using a footpod makes it better indoors and outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need the strap for cadence. The 920XT great buy. Not ideal for casual wear (unless you like the dorky look), but when working out, it's perfect! It's a pretty bulletproof product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need the more advanced Run or Tri strap for the additional running metrics like vertical ratio and ground contact time. You don't need it for cadence, the watch does a perfectly good job on that by itself (how else could it do activity tracking based on steps!)
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT cadence question [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah didn't even think about step counting till I had it in my possession as I wasn't really interested in that. It's funny because in all the reviews for the watch even dc rainmaker it basically said from what I read that you need the strap for cadence as well as the other metrics. It never really made a distinction that the watch itself did cadence and the strap would take care of the rest. Maybe it went without saying... Anyways I have the strap so will be nice to have the ability to get heart rate data after the swim leg.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't bother with activity tracking myself either.
Mine was a gift and was bought as a the Tri bundle with the swim and Tri straps included. I used the swim strap once I think, and the Tri strap for a few months until I started using a Scosche Rhythm+ over 3 years ago. So virtually all the run cadence data I've gathered with my XT920 has been from the watch itself, and it's always solid. I don't get any noticable errors.
Quote Reply