Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
I just never understand why some find so many excuses as to how do to do things logically.

Oh the irony.

I often hear this in my head reading certain posts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJh6slAqXM

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one of the things you can do if you're working out late at night is just have a really small dinner after working out.

I had this sort of schedule for years. I'd both run and go to masters in the evening. Masters ended at 7:30 or 8pm can't remember.

For dinner I'd often just have a piece of fruit, some yogurt and a Guinness.

If you can avoid the late(r) night huge dinners it's a bit easier to drop extra weight. It might be better to start trying this 2-3nights/wk vs every night of the week, at least at first. After a few weeks add in a night or two.

Most triathletes still over calorie themselves on a long term basis.

Maybe have a gel or something during the evening workouts if you find you're super hungry.

It seems from my experience and what my athletes have told me that if you are hungry that needing food feeling goes away once you start your workout.

I do applaud whoever used of the search function to dredge this 8 yr old thread up. They get a gold star -contact Dan to get that ;-)

I forgot all about this thread. Good times with Jonny living with me all those years. The stories I could tell about him.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brian I appreciate the insight! Feel free to embarrass Jonny as much as you'd like publicly with .... "Tales From The Desert" LMAO

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Most triathletes still over calorie themselves on a long term basis.

Yeah, that's definitely my problem!
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll write a tell all book. It'll be a best seller if 15 sales makes one a best seller ;-)

First story of the book:

JOnny shows up late one Jan/early Feb when I was living in Tucson and had a roommate. I think I forgot to tell my roommate that he was showing up since my roommate was pissed at me when I got home. Clearly Jonny's fault since I wouldn't have anything to forget had he not been staying with me. He knew 2 words of english. Toaster and something else My French is atrocious...at best. We go for a run that evening. Now remember he's from some frozen tundra with no sunshine in the winter.I think they call it Canada or something like that. it's well north of Tucson and freaking cold in the winter. You can't go outside with skin exposed and expect to live...or so I've been told. He's not seen sunshine since July or August is my guess given how white his legs were. It would be an understatement to say the reflection from the streetlights off his skin was blinding. Every streetlight we ran under was like having a lightening bolt flash right next to you. If jonny was a paint color it'd be called "really, really, really, f*cking white and whiter still." We go for a 5k run, well he runs I jog, and I thought there is no way this dude is going to make it, he's got no business trying to be a FT triathlete.

And folks that's how I got my first ever migraine and jonny's adventure living with me started.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 18, 15 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Canada, Wear your paste with pride!"

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just don't think it's right to encourage eating disorders
and i'm pretty sure you aren't either
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Nov 18, 15 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Maybe I'll write a tell all book. It'll be a best seller if 15 sales makes one a best seller ;-)

First story of the book:

JOnny shows up late one Jan/early Feb when I was living in Tucson and had a roommate. I think I forgot to tell my roommate that he was showing up since my roommate was pissed at me when I got home. Clearly Jonny's fault since I wouldn't have anything to forget had he not been staying with me. He knew 2 words of english. Toaster and something else My French is atrocious...at best. We go for a run that evening. Now remember he's from some frozen tundra with no sunshine in the winter.I think they call it Canada or something like that. it's well north of Tucson and freaking cold in the winter. You can't go outside with skin exposed and expect to live...or so I've been told. He's not seen sunshine since July or August is my guess given how white his legs were. It would be an understatement to say the reflection from the streetlights off his skin was blinding. Every streetlight we ran under was like having a lightening bolt flash right next to you. If jonny was a paint color it'd be called "really, really, really, f*cking white and whiter still." We go for a 5k run, well he runs I jog, and I thought there is no way this dude is going to make it, he's got no business trying to be a FT triathlete.

And folks that's how I got my first ever migraine and jonny's adventure living with me started.

I think this entire diet was a cost saving measure once you found out how much Jonnyo could eat. So you basically made him train all day and told him "eat as much as you want while you are training" and made him stay out training to get a tan so he looked like an actual pro and then cut him off at nite. Smart plan...you save money and turn him into a podium IM stud. win win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
So I do a good job of just usually ignoring you but this one I'll let you have it because your inability to relate to anything other than yourself is truly amazing. Logical applies to the masses not to one person and in this case the word to describe this would be anything but logical. Id say it is narrow sighted and tunnel vision.

First and foremost, races are on weekends when there are no other commitments on our schedules (because we blocked it off for racing) so how that factors into the topic I'm speaking of is beyond me. Furthermore, like most Age Group athletes, I have a regular full time position where I work 8 hours a day with the added bonus of a 1 hour commute each way. That's 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, dedicated to my career and that's bare minimum. Waking up at 4am isn't an option for me as my gym doesn't even open until 6am, when I have to be well into my morning routine to get to work on time. That "LOGICAL" idea isn't really standing up here.

Secondly, when it comes to loosing weight, it is more than a simple in/out formula after the initial rigors work themselves out. There is your metabolism, then there is your digestion, then there is the macros and micro nutrients. We aren't the general population here. If we train as hard and often as we all claim the generic rules get grey when figuring out this portion of your unique anatomy. Issues you can run into range from how to avoid becoming anemic, how to put lean muscle on, how to properly fuel for your weekdays vs your weekends, how to supplement to when to eat those calories, what the source of calories should be, etc. Reducing it down to calories and a scale likely will hit it's limits of usefulness quickly.

I implore you to exercise more since you SO LOVE TO. Exercise restraint to type stupid nonsense posts on here that will only invoke many to troll and flame you. If you have no context to the topic or believe you do may I suggest the George Costanza method. Whatever you think, do the opposite, I trust you'll have better results as he did.

Did I say everyone? Nope. But how many spend non value hours watching TV late into the night?

I still hold my opinion. I have yet to met a fat person who does not eat so much more than I could ever consider eating without being sick.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Nov 18, 15 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
...Waking up at 4am isn't an option for me as my gym doesn't even open until 6am, when I have to be well into my morning routine to get to work on time. That "LOGICAL" idea isn't really standing up here.

...except that you don't need a gym to go running or biking. But you probably have an excuse for that as well no?
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
i just don't think it's right to encourage eating disorders
and i'm pretty sure you aren't either

Been there, done that, got the XS t shirt. I still race at 6'0 and 135lbs and have some hungry nights. There is a difference between the two and it is prioritizing performance and not body dysmorphia.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i highly highly highly doubt you are a kona champion who are you normann... macca ?? i mean i'm looking to break 10 this season in 18-24 hopefully i'll be at kona next year so i'm competitive in my ag just because you have been to kona and performed well does not make you a champion or a nutritionist but will probably lead to an overinflated ego.. being healthy will lead to more performance as well as losing weight. you have no studies supporting your diet it's pretty much bs imo you're just gonna make a lot of people burn out. i mean you have to imagine peter reid was probably taking a lot of test so to a normal person on no drugs they would probably have hormonal issues dieting and training hard
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Nov 18, 15 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you email or pm me some more stories? That way I can blackmail him when he tries to punish me for something. Like getting married and going on a honeymoon this summer. I know it'll happen! And damn, probably shouldn't have posted this. Not looking forward to him changing this weekend workouts!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
i highly highly highly doubt you are a kona champion who are you normann... macca ?? i mean i'm looking to break 10 this season in 18-24 hopefully i'll be at kona next year so i'm competitive in my ag just because you have been to kona and performed well does not make you a champion or a nutritionist but will probably lead to an overinflated ego.. being healthy will lead to more performance as well as losing weight. you have no studies supporting your diet it's pretty much bs imo you're just gonna make a lot of people burn out. i mean you have to imagine peter reid was probably taking a lot of test so to a normal person on no drugs they would probably have hormonal issues dieting and training hard

Whoah buddy, slow down now! I think you might have accidentally taken an extra adderall pill this morning. Don't go calling the untarnished Canadian champion Pete Reid a dope-cheat. There are plenty of Canucks on here that will rightly take offence to that.

All anyone on this thread is saying is: 1) champs are lean 2) lean means being pretty hungry sometimes 3) DD's method is an effective way to leverage that hunger for short term weight loss.

Now spin down the turbo and chill.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
idk what planet you live on but on earth pro athletes are paid to win and last i checked lance has never failed a drug test so why don't you piece together that info with the 4 calories you have available to you... but where in this thread is the part that you proved via peer reviewed research that it's legitimate
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Nov 18, 15 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious what is the appropriate level of hunger to endure. I have nights where I will wake up at 1am and be absolutely starving...to the point where I cannot fall back asleep without eating something (typically carbs). I have tried everything..glass of water, celery sticks, carrots, nothing. Typically I will lay awake until my wakeup time (4:30am). I count all my calories in and out and I am strongly believe I am not underfueling during the day. I have experimented eating smaller dinners (500 calories) or larger dinners (1500+ calories) or high fiber/high fat for slower digestion with similar issues ... fall asleep at 9pm and wake up around 12-1am absolutely starving. Is this common? Do I just need to HTFU?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Been there, done that, got the XS t shirt. I still race at 6'0 and 135lbs and have some hungry nights. There is a difference between the two and it is prioritizing performance and not body dysmorphia."

I think I have this "body dysmorphia" you're talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
I am curious what is the appropriate level of hunger to endure. I have nights where I will wake up at 1am and be absolutely starving...to the point where I cannot fall back asleep without eating something (typically carbs). I have tried everything..glass of water, celery sticks, carrots, nothing. Typically I will lay awake until my wakeup time (4:30am). I count all my calories in and out and I am strongly believe I am not underfueling during the day. I have experimented eating smaller dinners (500 calories) or larger dinners (1500+ calories) or high fiber/high fat for slower digestion with similar issues ... fall asleep at 9pm and wake up around 12-1am absolutely starving. Is this common? Do I just need to HTFU?

Guys, this thread was posted like 8 years ago, partially seriously, but partially a joke....some people on this thread are getting way to serious (not necessarily you, just replying back to the thread since i bumped it from several years ago). If you are hungry to the point you can't sleep, go and have a snack and get the sleep...that's going to be more important anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its pretty common based on the tenuous hormonal balance of a body in hard endurance training. If you are trying to get or stay lean while training your body is constantly battling low blood sugar between meals and workouts as glycogen is exhausted frequently. I think the mid-night munchies are usually just a little blood sugar crash and lights up your adrenal hormones keeping you alert to search for food. It happens to me maybe 2/3 nights in hard training. I usually just eat an apple or two and go back to sleep, 50-100 calories isn't going ruin your diet and it is worth the extra zzz's. I also try to hedge my sleep bets with a bed time snack on high expenditure days. I never said I personally follow this DD plan to the letter-everyone's different but the hunger comes into the equation somewhere.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

First story of the book:

Sweet Enola Gay son, I do really love your posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have read similar things too but didnt know what the die-hard ST'ers did. Yes it was during get lean times during Ironman prep so my body was hating me already. Didnt mean to hijack the comedy thread but felt it was pertinent with one of the "rules"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

i think you're confusing Jordano that is replying to you and me and as posted this ''diet'' 8 years ago as a humoristic post to help some and make some laugh.

But now that you post this...this is become very funny! looking forward to learn more from your advice and best of luck in your quest to break 10h and make it to kona....sincerely

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:

during heavy training block,. i did get those crazy hunger in the middle of the night. But i have to say that in those circumstances, nothing could have old me back and i would simply eat everything i could find in the fridge. that would be a really good clue that i overdid it in the starvation process!!! So while i think it s important for high performance to get very learn and be carefull in your intake... you should not have to get up in the middle of the night...feeling like your bonking.

I also found that it s much easier to lose the weight in hot environment vs cold. Ask most elite men.... when you start shivering in the water at the pool or in the ocean at kona...you know your reach the proper race weight and ready to run fast!

i dont advice to get this lean all the time or for all the races and it s not for everyone ... it s not a easy process on the body.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jonnyo, when were you allowed to eat your giant DQ Blizzard?

Formely stef32
Last edited by: StephanM: Nov 18, 15 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks JonnyO...glad I'm not the only one. I had some painful nights during my ironman training blocks. I shouldve just ate the fridge!
Quote Reply

Prev Next