Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [peewee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classic!
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glbrum wrote:
Forget regular or decaf coke.

Flat Coke is where it's at!

WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Can you share how to make flat coke with us?

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is although I'm not sure why a giant bowl of lettuce isn't allowed for dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love this thread. just a bump for all the "do i need chia seeds to lose weight?" or "how about a fruit diet?" or "can i lose 23.4lbs on the paleo?" people.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read this thread and started following it back in mid-December. During the summer and training for a marathon while doing a couple duathlons in the middle I went from 209 to 190 and after my last race went up to about 196 when I read this. I am 6'3" and was at about a 14-15% body fat (not adjusted for athletic). Now I am at 183 and about 10-11% body fat (lowest I have seen is 9.5, but was not repeated) just following these rules and not counting any calories. I have been doing cycling and running, but not a lot of volume; around 20mpw running and 70-100mpw riding.

Good thread and good rules to go by ... I have almost got my wife to buy into it too.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The no-food after 7:30 thing presumes a certain bed time and a certain wake time, doesn't it?

Sleep is very important and there are both early bedtimes and naps at La Casa DD.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Feb 17, 13 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [Joe24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have often thought of this thread....
I am working on slowing down my eating - and using a smaller plate - that definitely works though I have chosen a dessert plate not a coffee saucer - there is something rather onerous about a coffee saucer to me. And stopping at 80% full

down 15 since 12/31/12 10 to race weight
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Sleep is very important and there are both early bedtimes and naps at La Casa DD.

How many people have gone and stayed at Casa Desert Dude?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
tigerchik wrote:

A great many.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
A great many.

I was getting that impression. Need to get my 180lbs down to something reasonable for race season. These rules will be a bitch to follow though.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Need to get my 180lbs down to something reasonable for race season. These rules will be a bitch to follow though.

One good decision at a time :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Over 40 people through the years, although jonnyo probably still holds the record for most nights spent at Casa DD. They range from AGers to the best in the world in their sport(s) including

At least 4 Olympians over 3 different sports, including a Gold medalist
A few top 10 World ranked T&F throwers including the U23 World Champ Discus thrower
Multiple multi IM winners
Multiple ITU athletes, including at least 3 that have won an ITU race
Multiple people who went on to win and/or place top 3 at IM after staying at Casa DD. (hhmmm maybe it's the homestay?)
A couple of national levels runners,
A few well know physiologists and/or coaches from various sports

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Over 40 people through the years, although jonnyo probably still holds the record for most nights spent at Casa DD. They range from AGers to the best in the world in their sport(s) including

At least 4 Olympians over 3 different sports, including a Gold medalist
A few top 10 World ranked T&F throwers including the U23 World Champ Discus thrower
Multiple multi IM winners
Multiple ITU athletes, including at least 3 that have won an ITU race
Multiple people who went on to win and/or place top 3 at IM after staying at Casa DD. (hhmmm maybe it's the homestay?)
A couple of national levels runners,
A few well know physiologists and/or coaches from various sports

Do you have a weight to height ratio you try to get your athletes to achieve?
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Toby wrote:
tigerchik wrote:

A great many.

i never stayed there but he did make me coffee in the kitchen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using this and I love it! It's not perfect, but it works for "me."

1. eat plants -- no meat (exception; fish) -- nothing in a package unless it's non/unprocessed
2. dinner is smoothies ONLY (fruits, veggies, oils & water) under 10grams of protein (I drink 2 quarts of smoothie and still lose weight)
3. breakfast is espresso (no creams/milk), oatmeal, and all you can't eat fruits & veggies
4. lunch is water, salad with protein (quinoa, eggs, fish) + fruit/veggie + nutts
5. no sports drinks unless they are home-made. coconut water, water, salt on the side, and honey (raw unfiltered white type) my favorite is water, honey, lemon juice, salt and malto. I often use pedialyte in training even though it's not on my list. I need the zinc and it NEER bothers my tummy. Coach doesn't have a problem with it.
6. home-made gels only (bananas + honey + salt + kiwi) mash it up, put it in a zip lock or flask, works for 8 hours in the heat without a problem.
7. zero dairy meaning no milk, no cheese and no icecream
8. eat solids every 30 minutes during training if the session is over 60min
9. don't weigh yourself
10. 3 sessions a day -- a session is at least 45min.
11. the first 6 hours after any triathlon (or swim race, run race etc) of any distance is the "FREE PASS" = beer, wings, burgers, hotdogs and swedish fish. This excludes my races that are within 8 weeks of an A-race. They are training days anyway...

good luck. diet and sleep are the areas that MOST athletes DO NOT pay 'enough' attention to. when you do, you will find new limits!
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but policies such as

If you win the race: 3 donuts
If you win the AG: 2 donuts
If you're in top 5 OA: 1 donut

Keep it as lean as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No eating after 7:30 unless coming back from a late evening workout over 30min. If under 30min you may have 1 gel and a piece of fruit or 1 energy bar.

Should this be over 30 min? If under, does that mean I can work out for 15 mins and then get an energy bar for 250 calories?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I have been fortunate enough to spend some time training with desert dude, 115intheshade, and Mr. Bubbles.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

A great many.

Wow, I don't know if I'd trust dd to make coffee, given that he doesn't drink it...

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
9. don't weigh yourself

So how are you evaluating progress?

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
In Reply To:

A great many.

Wow, I don't know if I'd trust dd to make coffee, given that he doesn't drink it...

James was drinking it also and wasn't falling over. It was actually quite good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may not drink that crap but when it comes to making coffee I've got skills the above average Starbucks wishes they had

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how long to drop 5-7 lbs @ 8% right now? Think I can do it in 9 weeks?

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian, the eye catching thing about the rules is the timing:
no eating after 7:30, "encouragement" to eat more during the day, etc.

Did you come up with these based on some insulin based data (blood sugar spikes pre-sleep)? personal behaviors (sitting and snacking at night)?

just curious to your mindset.

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Gold rules by DESERT DUDE to lose weight and get in racing shape! [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i m not sure, those rules were made for me and i would have never venture into a workout less than 30minutes so that rule didnt mean much.... the no eating after 7:30 was inforced strongly.

This plan was made as a joke...writen in a few minutes as i was complaining of waiting to reach race weight. Brian went into the computer room, typed this and posted it on the fridge door.... and the effectiveness of this program is remarkable. One of the best nutrition plan ever made in the sport history....simple, easy to follow, drop weight in a good manner!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply

Prev Next