Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

80/20 Training plan question
Quote | Reply
Hey all.. I have been using an 80/20 tri plan through training peaks and I have a question regarding re establishing my zones. I have been training on this program since May 4th and I have yet to re establish my zones due to the fact I didn’t realize that tempo workouts can be substituted for FTP tests if need be. However, tomorrow calls for a brick workout with 30 mins on the bike with some zone 5 efforts as well as a running tempo workout. Should I do the bike and then continue with an FTP effort afterwards as the plan says? Or should I do the FTP running test first and do the bike later? Also, if I decide to do a FTP test, do I scrap the whole 55 min workout for a 30 minute FTP? Thanks in advance!
E
Last edited by: ejoe156: Jun 29, 20 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Training plan question [ejoe156] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would do the brick as planned.

Which plan are you doing? I've done the Olympic plan from the book and now am doing the HIM plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should not be doing a hard session the same day you do an FTP test. if you do it first, your FTP test will be lower than your optimal result.
if you do the FTP test properly (a mini taper few days ahead, good sleep, good nutrition) and crush the FTP test, you will not have the legs to do anything after
basically treat the FTP test as a hard session that falls in the 20% of the plan
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Training plan question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intermediate HIM bike and run power
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Training plan question [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So your saying wait for the next solitary RUn tempo workout in the next recovery week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the level 3 plan, so if the 2 is similar you'll be doing a hard run on Tuesday then a hard bike later in the day. Wednesday you'll be riding easy and swimming, Thursday you'll run hard and ride easy.

I'd do the test on Tuesday (early) and ride easier later in the day, ride easy on Wednesday, ride Tuesday's intervals on Thursday and do whatever Thursday run workout as planned. If you're trashed, run easy on Thursday. I would do this just after an easier week where you'll be running on Saturday and riding on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Training plan question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could also do it on Tue, Wed or Thu of an easier week, Wed would probably be ideal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejoe156 wrote:
So your saying wait for the next solitary RUn tempo workout in the next recovery week?

That's what I would do (I am doing the advanced 70.3 plane - Bike power, run pace myself).

You should have an approx idea of what your FTP is, and the power ranges of the workouts are broad enough to allow a fair bit of fudge factor. I am in my recovery week this week and i have a pretty good idea of what my revised FTP is going to be - enough that I probably will not bother doing the test. Last 2 times I did the test, i was within 3-4W of my estimate.

Besides, it isnt as if 5W more or less is going to completely wreck your training (while the cycling zones have a hard delineation, the actual training benefit of being at the top of your Z2 vs at the bottom of your Z3 is fairly similar).

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply