Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pros need a union or association and yes, a boycott at the right time would be VERY interesting. Maybe they all sit in T1 in Kona after the swim? That'd really jack up the Ironman TM special wouldn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BonusTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly the kind of discussion we wanted to generate.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Cobble wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
funnylookingkid wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
So, what happens to the money if only 6 pros finish the race?

If the 7th place finisher is paced into the finish by a gorilla wearing a trucker hat, does the penalty count?

We will abide by the official results. Also, if I hear of any bullshit deals being cut like they do in cycling, I will go ballistic. The race for 7th must be untainted.
You won't be able to know for sure. And even if you know how do you prove it? You can't. And since you are taking money from people they will expect that money to go to the intend as described, so if you refuse to pay out because you suspect something you can't prove, this will get pretty amusing very quickly.

You have got to have the worst personality and the worst reading comprehension of any single human in this galaxy. "Go ballistic" doesn't mean withhold money. Please go away.

This thread never fails to entertain. I am serious about buying you a drink here in LP. Maybe 2. Fucking hilarious
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BonusTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BonusTri wrote:
The pros need a union or association and yes, a boycott at the right time would be VERY interesting. Maybe they all sit in T1 in Kona after the swim? That'd really jack up the Ironman TM special wouldn't it?

A boycott at Kona would be interesting. WTC could simply say, "See ya" and move in 30 paying customers to take those bike spots at the rack. The TV folks wouldn't care because the coverage is focused mainly on the life change stories and the age groupers anyway. This way they wouldn't have to waste time on the pro race and film what actually drives the show ( the age groupers).

The pros have no leverage here because they find themselves in a position of little to no value to WTC and their presence would not be missed.

why do you think they pro purses are so small to begin with?
Last edited by: ACE: Jul 14, 14 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. The only "boycott" that would work is if the age groupers refused to spend the $200 they each drop in ironman branded crap at the expo. And instead pooled that $400k to give to the pro with the best combined times at Hawaii and Challenge Roth.

The realstarky t-shirt they'd get instead would be a way bigger badge of honor than some stupid Ironman World Championships visor.
Last edited by: AlwaysCurious: Jul 14, 14 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Herbie Handcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Would Dave Scott or Mark Allen ever beg for prize money in 7th place??? No they would just HTFU.

That's what makes this so deliciously ironic

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.â€
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are killing this thread. Piles of entrails on the ground, either from your evisceratijg comments or the rest of us busting a gut laughing

TheRealStarky wrote:
raansenl wrote:
reality. a business can't start paying out big purses until it has all it's ducks in a row. right now IM is buying up races all over the world so it has a corner on the market. once it has a corner on the market, it can stop spending money on growth, and start spending more on prize purses. when AFL and NFL both existed, NFL wasn't the power it is now. You first have to be structurally sound and crush the competition. when the crushing is done, then come the huge paychecks. you call it "greedy assholes" but anyone with business sense can tell you, WTC is heading toward bigger purses as evidence by the financial moves

https://www.moodys.com/...rporation--PR_302015

paranoid, IM sabotaged my IMTX Happy Hour Starky and his "movement" will claim victory when prize purses are raised, but the reality is, he is a flea. WTC is working toward that goal, but needs to be solidly dominant before it does so. they are getting there per the Moody's article.

the real question is, why is he already talking about not using ALL the money raised to pay the pros? If $3,001 is raised, he keeps the $1. if $6,000 is raised, he keeps $3,000 and will later decide what to do with it. if this truly were about paying the pros, then give it ALL to the pros. if this were about not being an asshole, then stop being an asshole.

All money will go to pros. I never mentioned anything about keeping any of the money. That is a blatant lie. Does misrepresenting your opponents position usually work for you here?

You also do a nice job of arguing from a position of authority without having even 1% of the inside information I have about the business strategy and financials of WTC.

I AM an asshole, but I'm always honest. You, on the other hand, are just full of shit.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.â€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to donate, but it doesn't let me donate less than a dollar. Sorry, cannot afford.

Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
BonusTri wrote:

A boycott at Kona would be interesting. WTC could simply say, "See ya" and move in 30 paying customers to take those bike spots at the rack. The TV folks wouldn't care because the coverage is focused mainly on the life change stories and the age groupers anyway. This way they wouldn't have to waste time on the pro race and film what actually drives the show ( the age groupers).

The pros have no leverage here because they find themselves in a position of little to no value to WTC and their presence would not be missed.

why do you think they pro purses are so small to begin with?
I disagree. The pro race is always featured and of late even more prominently. Without that you have no perspective. Who s gonna watch a tv show about a bunch of slow people exercising in their underwear?
It's amazing watching the regular folk do the same things the pros did, albeit slower, to the non triathlete viewer. It used to air every year the same year I threw a big party and would put it on the tv. Everyone would be "wow, they ran that fast after swimming and biking?” That was never said about the sob stories.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pros have no organization, zero bargaining power as a whole. Strength can come from the whole.

They need to get organized, hire an Andrew Messick clone, and sponsor a few of their own races with large $. The AG'ers will follow. Great races, great locations and the pros would make themselves accessible to the AG'ers questions. Maybe a few hang out in transition, registration, wherever but they chat with the AG'ers, help and thank them for the support. Grow it to a tour, maybe 10 races a year, and this becomes the perennial triathlon race company.

AG'ers simply need to get over the IM TM logo.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that take. It should be their yet to be formed union motto:

Pro Triathletes: Without us it's just slow people exercising in their underwear.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my idea originally and I can prove it.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#5150070

Now that you are doing it I can't decide if I support it or not.

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
This was my idea originally and I can prove it.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#5150070

Now that you are doing it I can't decide if I support it or not.

/

Congratulations Gary. I guess if you were even 1% as interesting as me, people might have given a flying fuck about what you had to say.

The first I heard of this was from Dark Mark and @Play10Deep. It wasn't my idea. Regardless, I hope you will join us.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starky, gotta say it, you're a beauty and I like your passion. Maybe your new tag line for your next tee shirt is the Pro Triathlete's quote? Gotta get your beast mode T. Pretty much lost it when I opened it this am and so did my wife.

The Pros need to come together. 1 championship for big bucks and it grows from there. They need to make their own PGA Tour, but they have to all get on board. Austin would make a great venue for the Pro Tri Tour Wold Championship. Take matters into their own hands instead of having to ask for hand outs. This is America, Capitalism still is King.

Pro triathletes are getting shit on and it sucks, they deserve more. But, unless they want to beg, they're going to have to go get it.
Last edited by: BonusTri: Jul 14, 14 16:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As this discussion moves on, it gets more and more absurd in this crazy "Lord of the Flies" world these dopes have created in their minds. Editors note: "Lord of the Flies" is a book. You should find somebody who can read it to you.

I am actually starting to feel bad for the organizers who believe they are doing something here. Worse, they have actually raised money for this asinine idea. I'd normally continue just reading in silence but once their arrogance in responses exceeded their stupidity, I felt the need to step in and save the world.

Nobody cares about the pros except the idiots who you've separated from their money. But, as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Just as well, they probably would have spent it on no-tie shoelaces or a razor to shave their legs to be more aero. You benefactors should stay away from late night TV because there are a lot of wonder products that I'm sure you'd waste your money on. Don't worry, Starky, we all own a Thigh Master and have a garage full of Flex Seal just like you (wink, wink).

I'm not saying that I am not impressed by the pros. Hell, they complete the IM race before I've started the run, but that doesn't mean I need to take long walks on the beach or hot showers with them. Exactly why else should I care? What do they do for the sport that impacts Joe-Age-Grouper? If there was no such thing as a pro, would these races stop? Would the courses be not as good? Tell me why I should worry about their income and expenses.

The only full distance I've done (a Challenge event, not a WTC event) the pros had reserved seating at both the pre and post-race meals, they were in the water 40 minutes before me when I'm the one who needs the extra time over the 2:20 cutoff, and they got their own course preview. Yeah, sign me up to donate because those poor bastards need more special treatment.

Face it, you can't even get consensus on ST and you think this is generating outside discussion and some sort of buzz that will make a difference? I'd rather see you donate the money to a charity, not some dude with a $15,000 bike.

So to TheRealStanky, Marky-Mark, and @InProsBallsDeep (did I get the names right?), I say good luck to you. Just remember, there are no stupid ideas, just stupid people.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
As this discussion moves on, it gets more and more absurd in this crazy "Lord of the Flies" world these dopes have created in their minds. Editors note: "Lord of the Flies" is a book. You should find somebody who can read it to you.

I am actually starting to feel bad for the organizers who believe they are doing something here. Worse, they have actually raised money for this asinine idea. I'd normally continue just reading in silence but once their arrogance in responses exceeded their stupidity, I felt the need to step in and save the world.

Nobody cares about the pros except the idiots who you've separated from their money. But, as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Just as well, they probably would have spent it on no-tie shoelaces or a razor to shave their legs to be more aero. You benefactors should stay away from late night TV because there are a lot of wonder products that I'm sure you'd waste your money on. Don't worry, Starky, we all own a Thigh Master and have a garage full of Flex Seal just like you (wink, wink).

I'm not saying that I am not impressed by the pros. Hell, they complete the IM race before I've started the run, but that doesn't mean I need to take long walks on the beach or hot showers with them. Exactly why else should I care? What do they do for the sport that impacts Joe-Age-Grouper? If there was no such thing as a pro, would these races stop? Would the courses be not as good? Tell me why I should worry about their income and expenses.

The only full distance I've done (a Challenge event, not a WTC event) the pros had reserved seating at both the pre and post-race meals, they were in the water 40 minutes before me when I'm the one who needs the extra time over the 2:20 cutoff, and they got their own course preview. Yeah, sign me up to donate because those poor bastards need more special treatment.

Face it, you can't even get consensus on ST and you think this is generating outside discussion and some sort of buzz that will make a difference? I'd rather see you donate the money to a charity, not some dude with a $15,000 bike.

So to TheRealStanky, Marky-Mark, and @InProsBallsDeep (did I get the names right?), I say good luck to you. Just remember, there are no stupid ideas, just stupid people.

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening. All I caught was that you need extra time above and beyond the 2:20 swim cutoff. Will you please say that again?

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is America and a consensus isn't needed to make something happen.

You were never an athlete were you? Non-athletes stick out like sore thumbs, they have no understanding for the heart of an athlete or a cause with heart.

These guys are simply bonding together to make a point and to try and help a group of athletes that give their heart and soul everyday to a sport they love.

How can you not support that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening. All I caught was that you need extra time above and beyond the 2:20 swim cutoff. Will you please say that again?

Haha. Got him!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
DJRed wrote:

You win. The problem I have is swimming with all that cash in my pockets from my $300K a year job. Oh well, I'll manage to make that cutoff someday. Wait, maybe I'll even buy a pro to race for me. I know, first world problems and decisions.

Good luck with the "food stamps for triathletes" program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
This is exactly the kind of discussion we wanted to generate.

In pro cycling races, the riders just sit at the start line and refuse to start. The reasons are communicated to the organizers and the ball is in their court. The difference is that, in cycling, without the pro riders there is no event, no tv coverage, no advertising dollars.

With the pro triathletes having FAR less leverage, what would a protest look like? How about if all the men and women pros "race" together in a 10.5 hour march?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry dude, I'm calling bull shit. People that make 300K a year don't brag about it #1. And, #2 bull shit is companies don't want to pay employees over $250 a year because of the Alt Min tax. They don't want 40% over $250 going to the Government.

You're a douche bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BonusTri wrote:
Sorry dude, I'm calling bull shit. People that make 300K a year don't brag about it #1. And, #2 bull shit is companies don't want to pay employees over $250 a year because of the Alt Min tax. They don't want 40% over $250 going to the Government.

You're a douche bag.

I agree and I will offer $100 in free merch. to anyone who can identify this blowhard.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
You win. The problem I have is swimming with all that cash in my pockets from my $300K a year job. Oh well, I'll manage to make that cutoff someday. Wait, maybe I'll even buy a pro to race for me. I know, first world problems and decisions.

Good luck with the "food stamps for triathletes" program.

HAHAHAH! You've officially failed the internet!

Amateur hour around here starts sometime after 4pm PST on Fridays. You may have better luck then!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BonusTri wrote:
This is America and a consensus isn't needed to make something happen.

You were never an athlete were you? Non-athletes stick out like sore thumbs, they have no understanding for the heart of an athlete or a cause with heart.

These guys are simply bonding together to make a point and to try and help a group of athletes that give their heart and soul everyday to a sport they love.

How can you not support that?

Not an athlete here...just a national champion soccer player is all...and a coach to other national champions...and an evaluator for our national talent pool to decide who gets to follow their dream to be a professional soccer player and who doesn't. You're right. I don't understand the heart of an athlete.

I assume you think I'm not one because I don't swim fast? Swimming is what I do to cool down after I have actually played a sport and exercised. That, and I started swimming two years ago.

BTW, while holding down a 60-hour-per-week full-time job, us non-pros also find a way to give our heart and soul to the sport, too. Just because we don't podium doesn't mean we don't have heart or goals. It takes as much or more effort for us to complete a long course.

What's most telling was your immediate response to look down on somebody who you perceived is not an athlete. That's the difference between you and me...I care about the pros AND the other 2490 people (non athletes as you say) in the race, while you just care about the pros.
Quote Reply

Prev Next