Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what happens to the money if only 6 pros finish the race?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reality. a business can't start paying out big purses until it has all it's ducks in a row. right now IM is buying up races all over the world so it has a corner on the market. once it has a corner on the market, it can stop spending money on growth, and start spending more on prize purses. when AFL and NFL both existed, NFL wasn't the power it is now. You first have to be structurally sound and crush the competition. when the crushing is done, then come the huge paychecks. you call it "greedy assholes" but anyone with business sense can tell you, WTC is heading toward bigger purses as evidence by the financial moves

https://www.moodys.com/...rporation--PR_302015

paranoid, IM sabotaged my IMTX Happy Hour Starky and his "movement" will claim victory when prize purses are raised, but the reality is, he is a flea. WTC is working toward that goal, but needs to be solidly dominant before it does so. they are getting there per the Moody's article.

the real question is, why is he already talking about not using ALL the money raised to pay the pros? If $3,001 is raised, he keeps the $1. if $6,000 is raised, he keeps $3,000 and will later decide what to do with it. if this truly were about paying the pros, then give it ALL to the pros. if this were about not being an asshole, then stop being an asshole.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [raansenl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raansenl wrote:
reality. a business can't start paying out big purses until it has all it's ducks in a row. right now IM is buying up races all over the world so it has a corner on the market. once it has a corner on the market, it can stop spending money on growth, and start spending more on prize purses. when AFL and NFL both existed, NFL wasn't the power it is now. You first have to be structurally sound and crush the competition. when the crushing is done, then come the huge paychecks. you call it "greedy assholes" but anyone with business sense can tell you, WTC is heading toward bigger purses as evidence by the financial moves

paranoid, IM sabotaged my IMTX Happy Hour Starky and his "movement" will claim victory when prize purses are raised, but the reality is, he is a flea. WTC is working toward that goal, but needs to be solidly dominant before it does so. they are getting there per the Moody's article.

the real question is, why is he already talking about not using ALL the money raised to pay the pros? If $3,001 is raised, he keeps the $1. if $6,000 is raised, he keeps $3,000 and will later decide what to do with it. if this truly were about paying the pros, then give it ALL to the pros. if this were about not being an asshole, then stop being an asshole.

All money will go to pros. I never mentioned anything about keeping any of the money. That is a blatant lie. Does misrepresenting your opponents position usually work for you here?

You also do a nice job of arguing from a position of authority without having even 1% of the inside information I have about the business strategy and financials of WTC.

I AM an asshole, but I'm always honest. You, on the other hand, are just full of shit.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Last edited by: TheRealStarky: Jul 14, 14 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Nobody cares about what you do but yourself

I have a hunch the 7th place finishers will care. As will the 6th place, who will wish they were one slower.

And me, I've already gotten my $10 worth of entertainment--and that's even before receiving my Gluten Tolerant bracelet.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is how you handle this if you are WTC. You stop paying money to any pro position other than first. Give that person the entire allotment of money and let the fundraiser's pay for any amount they want to for anyone other than first. IF they are so keen to do it for 7th, how about do it for second on down.

Sure you may lose some pros at your events, but who cares? They add no value to the bottom line. AS one poster said above, so the event goes from 3000 participants to 2930. Big Deal...

Triathlon is a boring sport to watch and hence there is no money in pro races and never will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Dark Mark is running point on locations for happy hours, race day shenanigans, and the 7th place awards ceremony. Follow us on twitter or watch my blog for details. I won't announce it too far in advance because my friends at Ironman have already sabotaged one of my events (in The Woodlands) by threatening the bar manager. Because they are willing to employ dirty tactics, we need to be a little more stealth.

I might have to go to Lake Placid for the weekend just to go to the happy hour.

I assume you are going to do an over the top presentation for the 7th place winner..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
raansenl wrote:

All money will go to pros. I never mentioned anything about keeping any of the money. That is a blatant lie. Does misrepresenting your opponents position usually work for you here?

You also do a nice job of arguing from a position of authority without having even 1% of the inside information I have about the business strategy and financials of WTC.

I AM an asshole, but I'm always honest. You, on the other hand, are just full of shit.
See you confirm with this attitude you're not in it to help anyone. If you would really be in it to do something good you wouldn't behave like a dick to anyone that disagrees with you.

Quote | Reply
raansenl wrote:

You actually think WTC will start paying pros real $ once they have a race every weekend in every state? That just stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [The Phoenix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will be over the top.

Website
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
raansenl wrote:

You actually think WTC will start paying pros real $ once they have a race every weekend in every state? That just stupid.
Doesn't that ultimately make giving money to the real starky equally stupid?

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
raansenl wrote:

See you confirm with this attitude you're not in it to help anyone. If you would really be in it to do something good you wouldn't behave like a dick to anyone that disagrees with you.

You know what? You're right. I should be more kind to people who lie about me and misrepresent my positions. I'll continue to work toward becoming more compassionate.

Website
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Triathlon is a boring sport to watch and hence there is no money in pro races and never will be.

You know what's even more boring, watching a bunch of cars go around in an oval, or a bunch of horses going around in an oval, or a bunch of humans going around in an oval.

Wanna know why those are popular and draw be prize purses -> gambling.

As it stands now, I don't give a shit who wins IMLP. No one does, and why should they? Of the very small number of outliers who do in fact care you'll find family members, friends, a couple of fans, and a few sponsors. So why should the top 10 finishers earn anything? They don't provide any value. The fans at the event, and the people logging onto the Athlete Tracker are way more concerned about the guy that finishes 2019th because that's relevent to them. If there was a live broadcast of IMLP, that guy in 2019th may actually bringing in more viewers than the guy in 7th. So who deserves the money?

If I had money on it, I would definately care. Ironically enough, TheRealStarky has done just that. He's put a financial motivator to the IMLP results, so now the 97 people who chipped in have a vested interest in who places 7th. I have to admit, I thought that number would be higher and make my point for me, which was that if you want a higher prize purse for the pros, the viewers need a reason to tune in.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [raansenl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raansenl wrote:

Why would you even insinuate that we would steal the money? This just makes the rest of your argument look even dumber.

Anyways, look for our tent on the run course. We will be the aid station handing out thousands of dollars worth of caviar, champagne, and limited edition Little Debbie snack cakes.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rockefeller and Carnegie were using that same strategy with the steel and gas markets years ago.
First you monopolize an entire industry by buying up all the competitors and ruthlessly undermining all the rest, second you act like a benevolent master and pay your workforce better, third you charge below monopoly rates for your product.
The second two stages of this strategy did not ever occur.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, caviar has lot of salt in it and will prevent cramps. Is there gluten in it?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [J-rod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't guarantee that there is. You can put it on a cracker.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

If the 7th place finisher is paced into the finish by a gorilla wearing a trucker hat, does the penalty count?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [funnylookingkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funnylookingkid wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

If the 7th place finisher is paced into the finish by a gorilla wearing a trucker hat, does the penalty count?

We will abide by the official results. Also, if I hear of any bullshit deals being cut like they do in cycling, I will go ballistic. The race for 7th must be untainted.

Website
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [elwoodblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elwoodblues wrote:
dah5609 wrote:
Chri55 wrote:
People pay to watch nascar.
Nascar has huge tv network deals.
WTC is small potatoes compared to nascar.

But Nascar is shite

Au contraire, NASCAR is Sunni.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
raansenl wrote:

Why would you even insinuate that we would steal the money? This just makes the rest of your argument look even dumber.

Anyways, look for our tent on the run course. We will be the aid station handing out thousands of dollars worth of caviar, champagne, and limited edition Little Debbie snack cakes.

Hey, add some gin or vodka and tonics to the mix, the quinine in the tonic erases leg cramps........and that's before the brain cramps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
funnylookingkid wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

We will abide by the official results. Also, if I hear of any bullshit deals being cut like they do in cycling, I will go ballistic. The race for 7th must be untainted.

To prevent the deals being cut, you could pay it out to either 7/8/9 by placing those numbers in a hat, and drawing post race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
funnylookingkid wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

I heard whomever wins is going to donate it to DOVE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
funnylookingkid wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

You won't be able to know for sure. And even if you know how do you prove it? You can't. And since you are taking money from people they will expect that money to go to the intend as described, so if you refuse to pay out because you suspect something you can't prove, this will get pretty amusing very quickly.

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
funnylookingkid wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

You won't be able to know for sure. And even if you know how do you prove it? You can't. And since you are taking money from people they will expect that money to go to the intend as described, so if you refuse to pay out because you suspect something you can't prove, this will get pretty amusing very quickly.

You have got to have the worst personality and the worst reading comprehension of any single human in this galaxy. "Go ballistic" doesn't mean withhold money. Please go away.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edit: i should have added, i think this is an awesome idea

for an asshole, you are very patient.

the defenses of wtc here really bug me. wtc doesn't care about pros because they don't think they have to. if we want them to care about pros, something will have to make them think they need to. as consumers, we don't have many levers, and seeing as everyone is all in love with being an IRONMAN TM and getting all IRONMAN TM branded everthing, alternative races aren't making much of a dent.

so in a way the pros have the better chance ... a pro boycott of WTC would be quite interesting.
Last edited by: buzz: Jul 14, 14 13:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next