Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Raymond is shown as 7th pro now. This has kind of gone tits up with an AG'er being 7th in both the mens and women's race!

How is that possible if the AGers only have half a swim and no T1 in their times?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
that's ridiculous. Anyone slower than 1:15 is not in the running for anything. Awards and Kona slots to those who made the cutoff, participants and you are an Ironmans to everyone else.

For the most part, yes, but you never know, some guy or gal may be a lousy swimmer but a great bike/runner and could still content.

quick data call: What's the slowest swim for a KQ slot in 18-49 men over the last 10 years?

change of plan... it has to be AG adjusted. If nobody in your AG made the cut (ie. oldsters) then lap 1 times only. 18-49 men, you're SOL. Full swim or else no awards. You're still an Ironman though.

I swam 1:18 and got a slot (in no way am I bragging) in 2000
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ScrapIronSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's fine, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with a 1:18, but that was 14 years ago.

I think I have the right of this situation when I hear that a 30yo D1 swimmer guy finished 3rd in his AG, qualified for Kona, and then was relegated to 9th or something after they negated his splendid :48 swim. A :48 would have given him :12-:30min over his peers, instead it was reduced to a 6min advantage.

Like others have said, either count the whole swim or double lap 1.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ScrapIronSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScrapIronSteve wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
that's ridiculous. Anyone slower than 1:15 is not in the running for anything. Awards and Kona slots to those who made the cutoff, participants and you are an Ironmans to everyone else.

For the most part, yes, but you never know, some guy or gal may be a lousy swimmer but a great bike/runner and could still content.

quick data call: What's the slowest swim for a KQ slot in 18-49 men over the last 10 years?

change of plan... it has to be AG adjusted. If nobody in your AG made the cut (ie. oldsters) then lap 1 times only. 18-49 men, you're SOL. Full swim or else no awards. You're still an Ironman though.

I swam 1:18 and got a slot (in no way am I bragging) in 2000

Josh Beck was close to that and ran to a top 10 overall?

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
I confronted Mike Reilly with a megaphone

Well that doesn't sound like a db move at all (end pink). This whole thread reads like some attention whore trying to drive blog hits.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
My phone is dead. Logging in from someone elses. I confronted Mike Reilly with a megaphone, demanding the check back that they took from the 7th place male champion at the finish. Security was called. It's all on video.

I am only a part-time lurker. Does this mean that the RealStarky's identity is now widely known?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn I wish I had been home to watch the live feed! Ironically I was hanging out with the real real Starky at a Challenge event ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the genius of this whole thing. Try to keep up

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [bikedad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikedad wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
My phone is dead. Logging in from someone elses. I confronted Mike Reilly with a megaphone, demanding the check back that they took from the 7th place male champion at the finish. Security was called. It's all on video.

I am only a part-time lurker. Does this mean that the RealStarky's identity is now widely known?

Yes....has been for sometime.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post of year. You win. Hands down.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wish I was better at Powerpoint. Or, knew how to use photoshop.

Even better would have been perspective of Lloyd Dobbler, holding up the check, and it's Mike Reilly up in the booth instead of his ex-girlfriend up on the 2nd floor window.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, any updates, pictures or videos of the awards ceremony or something?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok I am slipping on my tri geek, so please help me out.
Who is the real starky then?

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any of these guys?

Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Maui_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SUITED UP for the check presentation ceremony....niiiice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I now know what it feels like to finish fourth at the Olympics. Thanks for making it fun to be a crappy BOP pro.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:

The volunteer took it from him seconds later. Hopefully it's not redeemable for cash.

This would be the only finishers photo is be actually willing to pay for.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
ok I am slipping on my tri geek, so please help me out.
Who is the real starky then?

If you find out, please let me know. No one has been willing to tell me, either. It's like you have to have been hanging out on Twitter at the perfect time.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't sure if WTC could have handled the #IMLP7th worse than they did prior to the event. It seems that they were able to find a new low at the race though.

A smart company that gave a shit could have handled this much better.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for following along everybody. For those of you who supported, either vocally or monetarily- thank you. The response has been phenomenal.

This weekend was insane, to say the least. We drove back home from Lake Placid last night and got in around 5:30 this morning and I am still waiting for the adrenaline to wear off. After speaking with Raymond and Rachel, I could not be happier that these two people are the beneficiaries of this stunt. Both are very humble, genuine, hardworking athletes that could truly use the money. I spoke with many professionals before and after the race that loved what we were doing and were very, very appreciative. I think most of us agree that something needs to be done with the prize structure in Ironman. There may be better ways to go about it, and better people to do it, but what we did this weekend has (I hope) helped bring this issue to the limelight.

One thing I did throughout the weekend that really reaffirmed what we were doing was asking random spectators what they thought the winner gets for this event. "$1 million dollars" was not an uncommon answer. When I revealed to them they only made $5000, they were universally shocked. This is a hard-ass sport that makes (and takes) a lot of money and the pros are what make this sport special. Without their ability reference, this is "just a bunch of slow people exercising in their underwear."

To the detractors or nay-sayers who said this idea was stupid, wouldn't work, and that the pros have no value, I'd just like to say this: AYHSMB.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was awesome!!! Hats off to everyone who was a part of this. I have found WTC is caring less about the athletes every year and is just looking to squeeze out every penny from them. My roomate just did IMCDA and the finishers shirt he got is the cheapest thing ever. Being a pro triathlete is rough. They train 30+ hours per week and lots of them still have jobs. To put all that work in to try and at least break even at a race and then end up 6th or 7th at an IM and get no money is a joke. Plus with IM you can't just race every weekend like an ITU race. To put all that work in and get a solid result and get no money is just wrong. I'm a little confused as to were all the money is going. For example IM Boulder has 3000ppl registered. At $700 per person thats $2,100,000 just on entry fees. I know there are a lot of expenses associated with a race of that size but there is still a lot of money coming in from sponsors and lets face it the swag WTC gives out is super cheap. Maybe I'm just unaware of the massive amounts of money it takes to put on an IM but I'm pretty sure they can afford to pay more than $650 to 6th place at IMLP.

Way to stick it to WTC. I'm sure they loved seeing 7th place cross the finish line with that big cheque.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and one more thing: I AM THE REAL STARKY

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$5000 is an insult, I've wondered this for a long time, but can anyone confirm what, if anything, one Ironman event makes, and what are the overheads are? Surely someone can provide some figures......
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [hrynkow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You better be saying ayhsmb in the form of a "them apples" real starkly tshirt

hrynkow wrote:
This was awesome!!! Hats off to everyone who was a part of this. I have found WTC is caring less about the athletes every year and is just looking to squeeze out every penny from them. My roomate just did IMCDA and the finishers shirt he got is the cheapest thing ever. Being a pro triathlete is rough. They train 30+ hours per week and lots of them still have jobs. To put all that work in to try and at least break even at a race and then end up 6th or 7th at an IM and get no money is a joke. Plus with IM you can't just race every weekend like an ITU race. To put all that work in and get a solid result and get no money is just wrong. I'm a little confused as to were all the money is going. For example IM Boulder has 3000ppl registered. At $700 per person thats $2,100,000 just on entry fees. I know there are a lot of expenses associated with a race of that size but there is still a lot of money coming in from sponsors and lets face it the swag WTC gives out is super cheap. Maybe I'm just unaware of the massive amounts of money it takes to put on an IM but I'm pretty sure they can afford to pay more than $650 to 6th place at IMLP.

Way to stick it to WTC. I'm sure they loved seeing 7th place cross the finish line with that big cheque.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Oh, and one more thing: I AM THE REAL STARKY

You certainly look like him in the pics of you I have seen. By the way your son is adorable. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next